Doing God's Purpose

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

desire_his_path

Dec 28, 2007
I've been on God's path off and on in my lifetime but never seriously, usually as a child, going to church, Sunday school, youth events. Now I'm 37 and the desire to be on God's path and not my own is very much a desire of mine. I've been attending church, reading God's word and praying diligently and believing in God's faith (even out loud) but the one thing I'm struggling with is finding out what God's purpose is for me.All of my life I've searched and have tried to reach success, I didn't care what it was as long as I reached it and to me, success meant fame, wealth, importance, etc etc. If I thought I had found a means to get it, that's what I pursued (all legal of course) but after a while, I'd give up because I was never happy doing whatever it was I thought would bring me success.Now I can honestly say doing what God has planned for me is more important that fame and wealth. I want to live life passionately and with purpose, God's purpose but I don't know WHAT THAT IS and it's driving me crazy. I have been praying about it and asking God to reveal His plan to me but I'm still not confident I know what it is. Part of me really believes that it's going to have something to do with youth, kids, teenagers... something along those lines but I can't say for certain that's what God has in store for me.How does one find out what God's purpose is for them? I'm tired of trying to make my own plan and walk my own path, it's pointless.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
You will never find it without trying things out head first. That means, experiment with things. That can be evangelizing on the street, missionary work, preaching, helping others... God gave us free will and with that comes many ways of serving Him and glorifying Him. Find your gift and what you're best at. And God will eventually reveal onto you his plan for you. God wants patience from all of us
wink.gif

desire_his_path

Dec 28, 2007
Ironically, I have a mother who is a pastor, I actually come from a family of pastor's but I haven't been going to them for wise counsel about everything, partially because I don't want to ride their nerves and also because I don't want to rely on them for all of my answers.I never believed I should go and "try things" one by one. Isn't that doing what *I* want to do instead of waiting on God to show me or confirm what I believe He is telling me? I really don't believe I've been called to minister or pastor anyone, I do have a talent for writing and I believe God is leading me to write and inspire young girls. I just would like to know how do I know for sure? I've been praying for confirmation and one thing you said I do agree with and I do know it's definitely a weakness of mine: PATIENCE.

lastsecman

Nov 8, 2006
In the Bible it said:'What does the Lord require of you then? Is it not to do what is just, to show constant love, and to walk in humble fellowship with your Lord.'I suppose if you do these things often, you should be fine. All you need then is just to wait for your turn until the Lord appoints you to a more important task.Because 'All things work together for those who love Him', and 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------The Lord Jesus Christ is God Himself in human flesh form, blessed is He.

SpiritSoldier

Dec 24, 2007
Hey Desire_his_path! I have just the thing for you! Trust me I hear your heart's cry out for meaning and purpose in life. You sound a lot like me a while back and I just want to do everything I can to try and help you so as I was going through the same thing. Now I can't give you all the answers but I can give advice.I have been a Born Again Christian for less than a year it's already been quite a journey. I was raised Christian and lead to the Church. However many of us know the church does not have all the answers. So I was losing my way and asked somone at a youth function "What can I do that's practical everyday?" he told me to write a journal. No I am not going to tell you to write a journal although I did and it really helped me. I prayed to Yahweh God to reveal the truth to certain things while I was a depressed Christian and taking time off from work I was losing my fire for God. He took me on a journey mainly to the old testament that was incredible and now I want to share the learning of that experience. If you want meaning and purpose in life look to him and his word. Ecclesiastes 1213 Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. So then it has been said Fear Yahweh God and keep his commandments (Law) and you will find purpose and passion for life. Don't fear hell or punishment like the church teaches because that's bad that takes the attention of Yahweh and on the redeemtive works. I have certainly found what I was missing in obeying his law I am surprised to admit I didn't realize this sooner sure Christians tell us we are under grace but It is my belief in order to follow God we must obey his commandments or if we follow men when they tell us what is good for us then we obey them. think on it your purpose in life is doing what you love. there is no higher purpose than service to others, remember this.My goal is to make you question your world around you as you know it and reach for the Messiah, Blessings upon you and Good hunting.

desire_his_path

Dec 28, 2007
Thanks everyone for your replies. Reading what you wrote SpiritSoldier made me realize I want God to tell me in plain English, "you're going to be a writer, write a children's book about my goodness" so I can go "ah ha! yes, that sounds good, thank you God!" and it's probably not going to go down like that is it?
smile.gif
I'm reading Joyce Meyer's book I DARE YOU right now and she said something similar today actually and that was to ask God every day "what would you have me do TODAY" because doing God's purpose is a daily not task, not just a vocation (as I'd like to imagine at times)
wink.gif
Thanks to all of you and most of all to God for giving me a chance every day to do His will.