Doubt: Am I Really Saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Not memorize but live it. Not the 600+ commandments. I have read the first response where you said I misquoted you. You are indeed right that we can never stop sinning by ourselves. Nevertheless, what I was saying was it is possible to stop sinning, although not by myself, but by the power of Jesus. Do we agree on this one?

Also, I'd love to know how you define wilful sinning. I think it might be helpful. Because God forgives unintentional sins, but wilful is being presumptuous.

How? By obeying Jesus' commandment, to love God and our neighbors as ourselves. If we do this, we will not sin and not cause anyone to stumble because of our words or deeds.

Romans 13:8-10 KJV
Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. [9] For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [10] Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

You can only do this by repentance. Repentance is not just acknowledging that we are sinful, but also turning away from our sins.

But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
I've heard people say they can stop sinning. People that think this have not accepted the scriptures and all the directives that Jesus gave. We are to sell all and give to the poor and have no poor among us to live more perfectly. We are to tend to the less fortunate. And people just don't do that out of the hardness of their hearts.

sheariah07

Feb 2, 2023
Valenzuela
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I've heard people say they can stop sinning. People that think this have not accepted the scriptures and all the directives that Jesus gave. We are to sell all and give to the poor and have no poor among us to live more perfectly. We are to tend to the less fortunate. And people just don't do that out of the hardness of their hearts.
I've also heard people say they can stop sinning but the way they understand it is that Jesus does not count sin as sin anymore. For example, if I lust, but I do it by faith, it is not sin. Therefore I stopped sinning.

But that's absolutely not what the bible says. That is perverting the gospel.

Another perversion is that most Christians believe that they can never stop sinning because we are still in the flesh, but we can only stop sinning when we're already in heaven. Which I quoted the verse earlier that those who live in the flesh who have ceased (stopped) from sinning will judge those who say that they cannot stop sinning in the last day.

What the bible says is Jesus can save us from our sin. Our old self is crucified with him (dead), the sinful self, so that Christ lives in us (who did no sin). That's an exchange of life. Christ died in our place and he paid the penalty of our sins so that we may live and live righteously through his life.

That's why Paul said: "Count yourselves dead to sin and alive to Christ"
Romans 6:11 KJV
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

This is not by claiming it, but by living it.

We have to die to self.

Luke 14:27 KJV
And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Why do we have to carry our cross? We have to crucify our old self (sinful self) so that the life of Christ will shine in us.

If we say we are free from sin but still sin, we are deceiving ourselves. That's why Apostle Paul exhorts and rebukes the churches for their wrongdoings because he has to present a spotless, blameless church to Jesus.

Ephesians 5:26-27 KJV
That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, [27] That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Colossians 1:28-29 KJV
Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: [29] Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

I do not say this to condemn any of my brothers and sisters, but that perhaps you might test yourselves if you are really in the faith. I would not preach this without having experienced the saving power of Jesus Christ. It is an experience.

Whoever believes in him shall be saved. What would we believe? That Jesus is the Savior from sin. What happens to those who believed? They are saved from sin.

Do not be deceived brothers and sisters. Anyone who sins is a servant of sin. Again, that's why Jesus, and all his disciples kept rebuking and warning and instructing. Those who keep sinning and do not come to a state of not sinning shall be hardened because of resisting the Holy Spirit who teaches us to deny ungodliness.

"We are to sell all and give to the poor and have no poor among us to live more perfectly. We are to tend to the less fortunate. And people just don't do that out of the hardness of their hearts."

These are those who do not obey Jesus.
John 12:48 KJV
He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Though I agree in a general sense, there are trip-ups that can happen to a faithful Christian.

Some people live sinful lives, then realize how much they hurt others and repent -- this is good.

Some people though, are decent enough, but live in perpetual anxiety of eternal damnation -- this is bad. Such people become burnt out and lose faith or else turn into such obsessive moral police that they drive others away from God but still miss the mark on what is truly good.

There are also people who perpetually chastise themselves for past wrongs -- this is also bad. This is a form of egotism, because the focus is still on themselves, when the correct path is to focus on the needs of others. Endlessly beating yourself up doesn't make the world any better.

If they're beating themselves up, consider sharing this verse with them. Jesus will remove their win and make everything good!

John 1:29

English Standard Version

Behold, the Lamb of God​

29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

Reactions: Adam

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you believe our conscience is destroyed? We can sin our heads off?

We can sin as much as we want...God changes our “ wants”

You can also stick your hand in a fire as much as you want....I don’t want to...how about you?

We have the freedom to do as we please....that does NOT mean that we can sin and get away with it....that is an impossibility for the Believer...If one is NOT a Child Of God there is a possibility that you will not be Chastised for your sins....But Chastisement is guaranteed for those that He loves, I.e. his Children....The Key thing is to make sure that you are His Child....get that accomplished by simply Believing the Gospel Of 1 Cor 15: 1-4......Getting Chastised by God with the same loving intent of a loving Father is not fun....but it beats not being a Chastised Child That is Given Free - Run in this lifetime but winds up in Hell...

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@1stCenturyLady if you truly believe that being answered by the Lord is a gauge for salvation, the you should read this section of Isaiah. It really is the same as the sheep and goats:

Isaiah 58:7-12

7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; When you see the naked, that you cover him, And not hide yourself from your own flesh?

8 Then your light shall break forth like the morning, Your healing shall spring forth speedily, And your righteousness shall go before you; The glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.

9 Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer; You shall cry, and He will say, 'Here I am.' "If you take away the yoke from your midst, The pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@1stCenturyLady if you truly believe that being answered by the Lord is a gauge for salvation, the you should read this section of Isaiah. It really is the same as the sheep and goats:

Isaiah 58:7-12

7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; When you see the naked, that you cover him, And not hide yourself from your own flesh?

8 Then your light shall break forth like the morning, Your healing shall spring forth speedily, And your righteousness shall go before you; The glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.

9 Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer; You shall cry, and He will say, 'Here I am.' "If you take away the yoke from your midst, The pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,
Thank you, Devin. "Justice, Mercy, Faithfulness, and Love for God - the weightier commandments in the Bible." (Matthew 23:23; Luke 11:42)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Post 5

This scripture is frequently used erroneously to support a permanent salvation void of consequences. People who listen to sermons and read theology books instead of reading the Bible usually commit this error and spread it around.

The “work” referred to here is the work of the minister. If he fails to preserve his ministry, the ministry shall be lost, but he shall be saved — BY FIRE!

Do you think many will endure that FIRE??

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Post 10
And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” (Matthew 7:21-23)

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Post 24
But everyone will ultimately be saved, even if it is through harsh correction.

“Nay, ye do wrong, and defraud, and that your brethren. Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.” (1 Corinthians 6:8-10)

Where does Paul warn of only a punishment but no loss of inheritance in the kingdom of God????

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Post 27
We are actually called to stop sinning. We can only do this if we believe truly that Jesus can save us from sinning.

Jesus does not stop anyone from doing what they choose to do. Where did you learn this strange doctrine?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BE SURE OF YOUR SALVATION BY READING THE HOLY BIBLE EVERYDAY, MEDITATING IN THE WORD EVERYDAY, PRAYING EVERYDAY!

“Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.” (James 4:7-8)

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Post 10

“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” (Matthew 7:21-23)
Yes, first they will depart and be punished, then be saved after.

Matthew 18
34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

Sin incurs a debt but not an eternal debt. You are delivered to tormentors until the debt is paid in full and no more because God is not a tyrant.

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The “work” referred to here is the work of the minister. If he fails to preserve his ministry, the ministry shall be lost, but he shall be saved — BY FIRE!
Addressed in my other posts. Paul explicitly says twice, before and after this verse, YOU are the temple.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus had no sin, yet was accused many times, right
theres a lesson in there about “sin,” imo
the poor you will always have with you, so i dunno
Well I know they accused Jesus of working for the devil. When he was working for God and the Holy Spirit.

The early church had no poor among them. And I noticed it's also talked about in Isaiah. It is refreshing. But these days we have a lot of drug addicts so it makes it too difficult perhaps to deal with them.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Well I know they accused Jesus of working for the devil
no matter what you are doing, it might be considered “sin” to someone, iow

The early church had no poor among them
in Jerusalem? Well, they also had Paul collecting alms for them several years later though lol
so i dunno

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
the poor you will always have with you, so i dunno
I interpret this as the woman making an offering to God, rather than the poor, and Jesus saying that an offering to God is accepted in the spirit it's offered just as much as an offering to the poor is accepted. It's like the difference between a monk and a charity worker. A monk devotes his life to quiet meditation and a charity worker devotes his life to the poor, but I think both are good, each in their own way.
But these days we have a lot of drug addicts so it makes it too difficult perhaps to deal with them.
From a certain perspective, I think that we want to help the most needy and deserving innocent victims of fate. But if we go judging everyone in need "oh, this one looks like a criminal; or that one's clothes look too nice; or that one looks like an alcoholic; or this one looks disturbed", then we've set an impossible standard. How high of a standard must we have on what qualifies a person to be a beggar? I can only conclude that what qualifies a person as someone in need, is that they tell you in one way or another (a signboard, a begging bowl) that they are in need, and we pass no judgement. Even if they are a drug addict, people don't become drug addicts because they are hedonistic pleasure seekers, but because life is too painful for them, they don't see any good in the world and want to numb it out. So perhaps giving someone a little light will be what they need to be saved.