Dumb Questions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dad of 3

Sep 17, 2006
I guess I'm a little embarassed that I don't know this already, but what's the difference/definition between/of the terms apologetic/evangelical/charismatic?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing to be embarrassed by at all! I'm not exactly the best with all of the terms out there, although it's probably more so because I despise some of the labels that are fashioned from men. I'm trying to make these things as neutral as possible.Apologetic - think of this as defenders of the faith. An apologetic is someone that defends the faith so to speak by explaining things. It is derived from the Greek "apologia" which means to defend a position from attack.Evangelical - Think of this as your typical conservative Christian to be honest. An Evangelical is someone who believes in a personal relationship with God, that faith matters in all arenas of life, and emphasizes the personal nature of Christianity. Often closely identified with Protestantism.Charismatic - Think of this as the middle ground between Pentecostals and Evangelicals. They believe in certain things such as speaking and tongues and modern day prophesy but aren't so wide sweeping in their beliefs like the Pentecostals are.Hope that helps - very general definitions of each.

Dad of 3

Sep 17, 2006
Thanks. That does help.Now you mentioned the Pentecostals. When I hear the term, I think of inbred hillbillies playing with snakes and drinking strychnine. Is there more to it than that?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's more. As I said, I like to refrain from using denominations and terms as much as possible because they get you to the judging stage mighty quick even if that's not your intent; if they're not practicing God's Word, then that will surface soon enough. I have a couples friends who members of Pentecostal churches, and like most others, they have their pluses and minuses.