Dungeons and Dragons

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fortitude_Oath

May 4, 2008
My friends want me to try the board game Dungeons and Dragons, but I have heard rumors that it contains occult materials and am wondering what my fellow Christians think. Thanks in advance.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
It can be a harmless game. You just roleplay. You can be a magician, paladin, etc. I don't play the game, but I don't know of any occult stuff.In reality, if you're in D&D, you're a nerd.
tongue.gif

cronnie36

May 3, 2008
(Fortitude_Oath;48710)
My friends want me to try the board game Dungeons and Dragons, but I have heard rumors that it contains occult materials and am wondering what my fellow Christians think. Thanks in advance.
There is nothing harmless abut this game. It is a successful worldly attempt by a coven of witches to garner the money and souls of the american people, and any people. This is frowned upon by God and should be avoided.

archierieus

May 5, 2008
Absolutely. The game is evil. Once we were going to rent some commercial space in a building, but down in the basement they had a game room and they played d & d all the time. There was an evil presence there. The game certainly doesn't meet the standard of Philippians 4:8--"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true," of good report, uplifting, praiseworthy, etc., "think on these things." Dave

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I'm 49 years old now. I remember that game being popular with the teens and early twenty-somethings when I was in my mid twenties. Honestly, I did not realize it was even being played any longer with all these video games and whatnot. As a matter of fact, it was a precursor to the video games today I figure. Is there a dungeon and dragons video game instead?

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Most likely tim. From a personal perspective, a lot of these games can be very addictive. They're designed to make the player sit and play for long periods of time.For example, quests could take 45 minutes to a few hours to complete. >.>

RaddSpencer

Mar 28, 2008
(tim_from_pa;48835)
I'm 49 years old now. I remember that game being popular with the teens and early twenty-somethings when I was in my mid twenties. Honestly, I did not realize it was even being played any longer with all these video games and whatnot. As a matter of fact, it was a precursor to the video games today I figure. Is there a dungeon and dragons video game instead?
World of Warcraft can be considered a video game version of the old-school D&D. And yes, they can become highly addictive --- wasting large amounts of time.http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml < -- for more info

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
You're not going to buy a whole new system for biocommander are you? It's not going to be sold retail. Instead you'll download it for your XBOX 360 (if you own one). And if you want to play it online (coop), then you'll have to pay for the online subscription.WOW, we're way off topic.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(Called 2 Conquer;49059)
D&D is not evil. Guns are not evil. Islam is not evil. Why did I say all that? Simple. It's all about perspective and nature. A gun is a tool but in the hands of a killer it can be used for evil. Islam, while wrong in so many ways is not evil but it the hands of extremists it can be used for evil as we know all to well from 9/11. Back to D&D. D&D is not from a coven of witches. Sorry but thats an urban legend. Most of the creator's of D&D were authors of fantasy books. D&D is closer to escapism than cult. You will find, with a little research that D&D is most heavily played in regions that experience long cold winters. There is very little to do and a group of people can escape their boring lives and the inhospitable weather by going (in their minds) to a magical land and bei8ng someone else for awhile. For most people it is an exercise in imagination and a big time passer. There are some that take it way, way to far. They lose themselves in the game and need detox in much the same way a drug addict does. Usually these people have compusive or addictive personalities but not always. Most people that play whose the chaotic good class for their characters. Just for informations sake most people are chaotic good. We try to be good but due to human nature and our sinful nature our lives breed chaos. In the minority are those that play an evil character. This is cause for concern but as there is evil in the world it is natural for some people to lean towards evil over good. That doesn't make the game evil. Most players stop playing once it warms up a bit and going outside doesn't require 30 minutes of putting on an outfit. I was once a player and even a dungeon master ( that means I lead games) I have played in tournaments and have held a few as well. I don't anymore because I outgrew it and have better, more productive ways to spend my time. I am also married and my wife isn't interested in playing so I choose not to sacrifice my time with her for a game. I guess the point is Play if you want or don't. God will still love you and will be their when your done. However if you feel convicted when you play then back away from the dice and run to the Lord.
I can't agree with that. Muslims pray entirely to a different god, that is evil. And video games where you dismember people is evil.

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
Anything against the One True God is evil. If you are not for Him you are against Him. It is a sin to pray to other gods. Sin is evil.

RaddSpencer

Mar 28, 2008
(Fortitude_Oath;48710)
If you have ever played a fantasy game like:1. Legend of Zelda2. Final Fantasy3. WarcraftThen you have played a game inspired (directly or indirectly) by the original D&D board game. The video (from gametrailers.com) shows the history of D&D video games.http://www.gametrailers.com/player/10286.html?type=I don't personally have a problem with D&D. Why, because its make-believe. Its a game about imagination and strategy --- thats all it is.If another Christian sees it differently, they should avoid it (along with all other fantasy based games).

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
(cronnie36;48766)
There is nothing harmless abut this game. It is a successful worldly attempt by a coven of witches to garner the money and souls of the american people, and any people. This is frowned upon by God and should be avoided.
And you really believe this huh?