Early Pentecostal Narrative

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Apostle Caroline Louisa Parker-Hill
“Holy Apostolic Pioneeress!”
June 15, 1884- October 30, 1984
My name is Apostle Carolina Louisa Parker-Hill. I was born on June 15, 1884. My mother was Overseer Betty Heinrietta Lee. She was a beautiful dark-skinned woman with green eyes and curly pretty black hair.She was a holy and powerful woman of God. My father was Charles Parker Sr. He was late in his move of faith but got truly saved before he died. Momma, granny and Grandma’am all raised me! They were all powerful women of God and holy! My eldest and only sister Harriett was a holy woman of the strictest standards she made sure that I was trained in schooling and the Holy Bible. She also instilled the strict holy standards of life and dress in me. Growing up I attended Christ Holy Temple Universal Holiness Pentecostal Christian Church (UHPCC). I remember us having good times in church! Bishop Elizabeth preached the full gospel of Jesus and holiness! I had a distinct and deep love of Jesus though despite the lack of focus on Him by other doctrinal focuses. For much of my early life I spent in church. Yet I was not saved or converted. It was not until the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and six (1906) at the Azusa Street Revival that I got saved and filled with the precious Holy Ghost! I spoke in heavenly tongues and interpreted the heavenly message! After that Jesus began dealing with me on coming out and forming a church!
I finally heeded the call and formed Judah Holy Apostolic Faith Church in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eight (1908). I bought an old abandoned Methodist church about on the east side of Detriot. I started off with 20 members. We had good church we shouted, hollered, prayed, tarryed, testifyed and all in service. I baptized the people in Jesus name and they did speak in tongues as the Holy Ghost gave them utterance. God also placed a powerful healing gift on me. Several people were healed of sickness, mind problems and spiritual ailments. Being only 23 I was told by people that I preached like an old woman! My first message at the church was “Jesus & that’s ALL!” We danced, shouted, fell out, spoke in tongues and just praised God! We had Sunday morning service, Sunday evening testimony service, Wednesday prayer meeting, Thursday Bible Hour, and Friday night Holy Ghost service. People flooded our Sunday evening testimony and Friday night Holy Ghost services. Blacks, whites and a few indians of all denominations came and worshiped God! Demons were cast out, drunks delivered, prostitutes converted, sinners saved, and people filled with the Holy Ghost. Judah Holy Apostolic Faith Church became known around the city in Detroit as the “Holy Ghost Church!” and they called me the “Holy Ghost Woman!”. One day my daddy Charles Parker Sr. came to my church and fell under the power of God. He got saved and converted to the Holy Apostolic Faith. I baptized him in Jesus’ name and he tarryed and received purging, sanctification and the Holy Ghost with tongues of fire. I shouted and danced for joy! Momma and I got caught up in the Spirit when daddy came home drunk in the Holy Ghost! It was a joyous occassion.
With the prompting of the Holy Spirit I married my husband Reverend Eli Maxwell Hill. He had dark brown eyes, caramel skin and good black hair. We married on June 5, 1908. Momma, daddy, Grandma Betty and my sister Harriett attended the wedding. We had it at my church. The wedding was beautiful. My husband’s father Chief Apostle Elijah Hill married us. They also held an ordination service for me. I was formally ordained on August 5, 1908. My whole family attended the service. I was ordained an elder and formally installed pastor of Judah Holy Apostolic Faith Church. We had a good time in the service and came into fellowship with the Christ Apostolic Faith Churches of America (CAFCA) also known as the Holy Apostolic Faith churches. My husband Reverend Eli helped me establish a Thursday bible lecture and study to instruct more on the Apostolic Faith. We had our first child on December 8, 1909. It was a hansom boy named Charles Frederick Hill. He looked like me! My husband was consumed almost by the boy.Despite the season of bliss my daddy got very sick quickly. God would not allow me to heal him. I just nursed him along with Momma and my sister Harriett. All the while I was raising my new baby son. But it was God’s holy will. On June 13, 1910 daddy died. We were torn up but kept the faith in Jesus’ power and will. He lived a long life and got truly saved. He left me 700 dollars and gave Judah Holy Apostolic Faith Church 350 dollars. We had the funeral at Christ Holy Temple UHPCC. Elder Carolina preached a fiery sermon “Are You Ready to Meet God?” We shouted and broke out in praise all over the church. My brother Charles Jr received the Holy Ghost! It was a holy and somber occasion. A little afterwards about a month later my husband Reverend Eli was called to the pastorate of a church called Hebrews Holy Star Apostolic Faith Church in New York City. He was saddened but had to heed the call of God!
I moved in with Momma since I was pregnant with my second child and since I pastored here in Detroit I decided not to go on with my husband to New York City. On July 5, 1911 I had my second child a beautiful blue eyed, curly black haired and light caramel skinned girl. I named her Hienrietta May Hill. At that time I had two children a 1 and ½ year old boy Charles Frederick and Hienrietta a new born. I consumed myself with Jesus, my children and my church. My church grew fast from 20 members to 75 members most Holy Ghost filled, sanctified and truly saved. I praised God for the growth in Spirit and numbers. We continuely packed out revivals and Holy Ghost services at the church. Not only was I experiencing ministerial success my Mother in 1912 at the Universal Holiness Pentecostal Christian Church Holy Convocation was appointed and consecrated Women’s department Honorary Overseer. She had oversight over the UHPCC’s entire Women’s Department. My sister was also installed as Michigan District of the UHPCC Women’s Department Supervisor. My granny was elected General Mother of the Universal Holiness Pentecostal Christian Church. I was happy for all of them. They continued the good work for Jesus in the UHPCC. As an elder in the Christ Apostolic Churches of America (Holy Apostolic Faith Churches) I was recognized as one who had the ability to pastor a church by the leading of the Holy Spirit and by the Apostolic doctrine. Judah Holy Apostolic Faith Church grew from 75 to 110 members. We began to expand the old wooden church into a small brick church that could seat 120 people. I was also glad to hear that my husband’s church had expanded to 200 members. We were working diligently for the cause of Christ. Several people were getting saved and healed!
Tragedy struck again and I was saddened on August 7, 1926 when granny Betty Joe died. She was at the ripe age of one hundred and six. She went from being a slave to a freed holy woman. She received an Official General UHPCC funeral at Holy Church the headquaters in Washington D.C. of the UHPCC. 3,000 people flooded the building. I was saddened yet asked Jesus for strength. My husband came to help me cope. I had the task of eulogizing granny. I preached “IF I HOLD OUT! I WILL BE CROWNED & ROBED!” I preached with all my might and the POWER of the Spirit of Jesus! Bishops, elders, pastors, ministers, Momma, my sister Harriett and almost everyone in there either shouted, fell out, spoke in tongues and ALL! We had good ole church! I returned to Detroit regenerated and on fire! My son Charles went to New York City to study and help his daddy my husband in ministry he was 17. My daughter Hienrietta who was 15 stayed with me and Momma. Hienrietta was very bright, mature and holy for her age. She had many suitors. She was so full of the Holy Ghost that when asked about who she would marry she responded “God will show me my husband!” I admired her strength and maturity. I decided that God was leading me to establish another church of the Apostolic Faith. So on January 9th, 1928 I established Messiah Holy Tabernacle of the Apostolic Faith in Lansing, Michigan. I appointed Minister Paul Alkine over the church. He was a man full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom. The small church had 10 members at first but by 1930 it had grown to 45 members. I was also appointed that same year District Elder over the Michigan churches of the Holy Apostolic Faith Churches. It was 10 churches of the Holy Apostolic Faith Church in Michigan. My husband at our annual Holy Convocation in 1931 in Raleigh, North Carolina was consecrated a bishop in the Christ Apostolic Churches of America. I was so happy for him. My son was also ordained an elder and installed as pastor of One Way Star Holy Apostolic Faith Church in New York City. I was greatly godly proud of him.
On May 7, 1932 my son married Susie Louise Cohen from North Carolina. She had curly brown hair with light fair skin and brown eyes. She was a pretty young woman of the age of 20. She was from the United Holy Church of America. She was saved, sanctified, fire baptized and filled with the Holy Ghost. She loved to preach too! I loved her and considered her a right fit for my son! They had their first child on July 5, 1933. It was a boy. They named him Elijah Charles Hill. I told them to raise the child in holiness and Jesus! I continued my work for Christ Jesus! When the convocation of 1935 of the Christ Apostolic Churches of America came around my husband Right Reverend Bishop Eli was elected Chief Apostle of the Christ Apostolic CHurches of America. He was an apostle now! I was a district elder, pastor and first lady of the Christ Apostolic Churches of America. I traveled some with my husband to check on the state of the Holy Apostolic Faith churches. But most of the time I continued to pastor my church Judah Holy Apostolic Faith CHurch and serve as district elder to my district. My daughter married an Elder Joshua Samuel Willson a young pastor of the Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ of the Apostolic Faith (COOLJC) organization. They wed on August 9, 1936. Hienrietta was twenty five and Elder Joshua age thirty. He loved her tremendously they wed at his church in Detroit called First COOLJC. It was a 250 member church. I was glad she married in the Apostolic Faith but I did not like the barring of women in ministry in the COOLJC. I voiced my opinion too but my daughter would reply “God did not call me to preach. But to serve as a helpmate to my husband.” They had their first child on June 30, 1938. It was a beautiful girl they named Carolina Betty Willson. I told them also to raise the child in righteousness and Jesus.
I wanted one more child and told my husband Chief Apostle Eli and prayed to God about it. It happened on December 9, 1940. I had a gorgeous girl I named May Belle Hill. May Belle had green eyes just like my momma, striaght reddish auburn hair like granny Betty Joe and my light caramel skin. The labor was gracefully easy despite my age of fifty six. Momma, my sister Harriett and my daughter Hienrietta said I was crazy for taking that risk. My husband was happy to have another child but wanted little May Belle to be the last. I agreed! My daughter helped me with my labor then she went into labor with her second child on December 10, 1940 she had another girl Harrietta Caroline Willson. She had grey eyes and black hair. I returned to my church work. Judah Holy Apostolic Faith Church grew to 200 members, We continued to have large crowds at our revivals and God strengthened my healing gift! At the Christ Apostolic CHurches of America convocation in 1941 I was consecrated an Apostle the first female Apostle of the CHrist Apostolic Churches of America.
A great tide hit my family hard! Starting with my Momma Overseer Betty Hienrietta Lee-Parker’s death on May 30, 1942. She was 104 years old. She served in ministry for 81 years. She was my role model and friend. But most of all my mother. Telling the news to my sister Supervisor Mother Harriett Pillar was hard she was 86 and recovering from a minor stroke. When I told her she broke down and we both began to weep! We prayed and wept! We were truly hurt. Momma was funeralized three times. The first one was held at my church Judah Holy Apostolic Faith Church where me and my children, grandchildren, my sister Harriett and her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren and also my brother Charles Jr came too. It was a small family service. My sister Harriett’s son Elder Dr. Harry Peter Pillar eulogized the service. He preached “My Life Is My Witness!” it was a wonderful sermon. We cried, shouted, prayed and just wept! We had the second service at Christ Holy Temple UHPCC Momma was a member of that church. This service was held for the church members, locals and Michigan District of the UHPCC. The pastor of Christ Holy Temple UHPCC preached “Resting With Jesus!” it was a powerful message. We danced, shouted, and just had a revival service! The last and most formal and official General Universal Holiness Pentecostal Christian Church (UHPCC) service was held at Holy Church the headquaters of the UHPCC in Washington D.C. My son Elder Charles Frederick eulogized. He preached “Receiving My Heavenly Reward!” He preached us into a shout! My daughter Hienrietta prayed Heaven down! My niece (my sister Harriett’s daughter) Elder Aleena May Blake gave remarks on behalf of the UHPCC Evangelism Department where Momma had served for many years as field worker, evangelist and President of the department. Elder Aleena had us speaking in tongues off her remarks. The icing came when my sister Supervisor Mother Harriett gave remarks on behalf of the Women’s Department of the UHPCC where Momma served as the Honorary Overseer. She got so happy that she fell out in the Spirit and we shouted again! It was a sad yet joyous occasion! We burried her beside her Grandma’am, mother and husband.
While trying to move past mother’s death my husband Chief Apostle Eli Hill died on January 9, 1943. I just called on Jesus so many times! My son was deeply grieving! My daughter Hienrietta was somber as well. My little daughter May Belle was three years old and didnt know what was going on. My sister comforted me and gave me words of encouragement from a fellow widows perspective. We funeralized him in Raleigh at the headquaters of Christ Apostolic Churches of America. My daughter-in-law Evangelist Susie eulogized due to the rest of the family being out of it. Her sermon was “Accidently Almost Perfect!” She preached with such fire and conviction she almost passed out. We were in the floor crying before God and shouting. We left the funeral in joyous spirits!! My son was installed as pastor over his father’s church Hebrews Holy Star Apostolic Faith church. It had grown to 575 members. I knew my son would be consecrated to the bishopric soon.
I continued preaching and nurturing my flock at Judah Holy Apostolic Faith church and raising my daughter May Belle with much help from my daughter Hienrietta. My daughter Hienrietta’s wisdom of God’s Word and articulation of the Apostolic Faith doctrine led her husband to license her a Missionary and let her teach for him sometimes at their church First Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ (COOLJC) of the Apostolic Faith bible studies. I was very happy for her. Several ministers from other Apostolic Faith bodies flooded my bible studies to hear me expound on Apostolic doctrine and teachings. Ministers predomenately male from the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World (PAW), Bible Way Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the CHurch of Our Lord Jesus Christ (COOLJC), the United Pentecostal Church International (UPCI) and other Apostolic bodies came to hear me teach. I was very displeased though with the number of Apostolic churches barring or limiting women in ministry! I was very vocal about it! I became an advocate for Women’s Rights in ministry and society!
I was happy to see the love for Jesus in my daughter May Belle. She received salvation at the age of 10 at a revival of my son-in-law Elder Joshua Samuel Willson’s church First COOLJC in 1950. At one of our Friday night Holy Ghost services at Judah Holy Apostolic Faith church she received the Holy Ghost with tongues at age 13 in 1953. And by 1955 she was leading prayer meetings. I loved her fire and zeal for God! She was also a very smart girl in school. She attended Michigan State University in 1960. I was amazed at her educational ability. That same year though on November 17, 1960 my sister Supervisor Mother Harriett Ann Marr-Pillar died. She was born on July 8, 1856 the pride and joy to my Momma the late Overseer Betty Hienrietta Lee-Parker and the late Reverend Actis Marr. Harriett lived to 104 years old. Born into slavery died a spiritually powerful and self educated woman of God! They held the service at her late-husband’s church Fire Pillar Holy Church of the UHPCC in Lansing, Michigan where she lived and attended. Her son Elder Harry Pillar eulogized. He was so tore up that he couldn’t get through with the message. But the service shifted into praise when my niece Elder Aleena May Blake took the mic and said “But she is in Heaven NOW!” We danced, fell out and shouted and just had good ole sanctified church! My sister Harriett was like my second mother, she instilled the importance of holiness in life speech, conduct and dress in me, the importance of education and was just my best friend! I love and still deeply miss her. She raised two godly children and a host of grandchildren, great grandchildren and other descendants. She was a saved, sanctified, fire baptized, Holy Ghost filled Christian woman, a dutiful and loving wife, mother, daughter, grandmother and sister. She was also a mentor of many young women in the Church and community. She was a great advocate for education and holiness!
My daughter May Belle married a young black lawyer and Church of God In Christ (COGIC) preacher named Reverend Timothy Lewis on July 30, 1962. She was 22 and earning her doctor of ministry degree from Michigan Theological Seminary. He was 28 and a graduate of Moorehouse in Atlanta and went on to Princeton University for Law. He serves as a black attorney and assistant pastor of Zion Hill COGIC in Detroit. The CHurch of God In Christ (COGIC) did not bar women from ministry but limited them to Mothers, Missionaries and Evangelists. My daughter May Belle became an evangelist for the CHurch of God In CHrist. I was surprised she was the only child of mine that married outside of the Apostolic Faith. But she married a Pentecostal-Holiness though which was fine so was my mother and sister. I supported the union and so did my other two children Apostle Charles and Missionary-First Lady Hienrietta. I continued my pastoral work at Judah Holy Apostolic Faith church we grew to 350 members and built a larger brick facility that holds 400 comfortably. I stayed in prayer and supplication. Hienrietta and May Belle still came to check on me. I also continued the great revivals throughout my church Judah Holy Apostolic Faith Church. Currently at the age of 80 I have lived a long life serving God and people. I am still very active but need a little help runnung the church. My granddaughter Carolina Betty Willson my daughter Hienrietta’s child helped me. She is a holy yet very humble woman. She could preach and instruct thus she became my assistant pastor. I just thank God for His power and mighty hand in my life. Jesus you are my ALL in ALL. Thank you for your grace and love!
---Apostle Caroline Louisa Parker-Hill---
Apostle Caroline Louisa Parker-Hill died on October 30, 1984. She was 100 years old. She served in ministry for 76 years. She was a strict Apostolic woman. She left 3 children; Apostle Charles Frederick Hill (75 years), Missionary-First Lady Hienrietta May Hill-Willson (73 years) and Evangelist Dr. May Belle Hill-Lewis (44 years). An avid pastor, doting mother, loving wife, dutiful daughter and a Christian woman. She will always be missed!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
An awesome read, thanks UHCAlan,
My country first experienced pentecostal revival in the form of a flame from the Welsh Revival of 1904, which was carried in the hearts of some of the miners who came to work here back in the day. Following that [approx: 1950s] we experienced a similar second wave type pentecostal revival via a visit from Smiths Wigglesworth. ^_^

Be Blessed!

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Angelina said:
An awesome read, thanks UHCAlan,
My country first experienced pentecostal revival in the form of a flame from the Welsh Revival of 1904, which was carried in the hearts of some of the miners who came to work here back in the day. Following that [approx: 1950s] we experienced a similar second wave type pentecostal revival via a visit from Smiths Wigglesworth. ^_^

Be Blessed!
Very interesting! I always love to hear how Pentecostalism came to certain areas and people conversion experience and witnessing of the precious baptism of the Holy Ghost. I came to the Lord under the United Holy Church of America which is the oldest Pentecostal Holiness body in the United States.