earth

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

Revelation 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Curious what others thoughts are on the earth and also man. How does the ‘old man’ and the earth and heaven which fled away compare...if the inheritance is the earth just as it is but rebuild or restored, then is the old man also inherited, rebuilt, restored? What goes in the grave and passes away, and what is raised up out of the grave into Life?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Revelation 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
Revelation 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Curious what others thoughts are on the earth and also man. How does the ‘old man’ and the earth and heaven which fled away compare...if the inheritance is the earth just as it is but rebuild or restored, then is the old man also inherited, rebuilt, restored? What goes in the grave and passes away, and what is raised up out of the grave into Life?

@VictoryinJesus A key is surely the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, to which great truths Paul confidently affirms:

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord." (1 Corinthians 15.57-58)

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

In Revelation 20:11 γῆ, gē is translated as “earth” but this Greek word is contracted from the primary word which has the meaning of soil. This is also the case in Revelation 21:1 but we are also told that the replaced heaven and soil/land has been refurbished like new again since the first heaven and soil/land was no more.

In 1 Corinthians 5:17, I would paraphrase this verse this way: -

2 Corinthians 5:17: - 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a renewed creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become refurbished/like new again.

The translations that we rely on, do not necessarily give us the context of the Greek source texts.