Egyptians rioting...Again

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Violence in Egypt after Morsi assumes sweeping new powers

Violent protests broke out across Egypt today after the new Muslim Brotherhood president, Mohammed Morsi, awarded himself wide-ranging powers over its political transition.

Demonstators burned down a headquarters block of the Brotherhood's political front, the Freedom and Justice Party, in Alexandria.

...Mr Morsi in person defended his decision to end judicial independence and make his decrees unchallengeable by law as necessary to "fulfil the revolution".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/9698457/Violence-in-Egypt-after-Morsi-assumes-sweeping-new-powers.html

This doesn't seem like a wise move to me. More than likely he's trying to flex the political clout he gained on the brokered "peace" however, with the succesful ousting of Mubarak still fresh on the minds of the people I wonder if he, and his advisors really expected anything else.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
It's a simple matter of "Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Morsi is granting himself many of the same powers that Mubarak used to keep Egyptians under his thumb for decades.

More blood will be shed as Egyptians struggle not to have the shackles put back on them.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
It's a simple matter of "Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Morsi is granting himself many of the same powers that Mubarak used to keep Egyptians under his thumb for decades.

More blood will be shed as Egyptians struggle not to have the shackles put back on them.

No doubt. I expected him to expand his powers...gradually...but this was a big step and I don't see the "people" standing down.