Endures [what] to the end [of what] will be saved [from what]?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The quote "But he who endures to the end will be saved" most certainly appears in the Bible - [three times, in fact] - and is oft quoted stripped from its surrounding context and employed to teach that men either:
  1. can loose their salvation
  2. must work to retain their salvation
Clearly, it is not a "proof text" for O.S.A.S. :) , but below I offer the verse within its context and solicit an honest answer and discussion to the question posted in the title:

Matthew 10:16-26 [NKJV]
16 "Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. 17 "But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils and scourge you in their synagogues. 18 "You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles. 19 "But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; 20 "for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.
21 "Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father [his] child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. 22 "And you will be hated by all for My name's sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved. 23 "When they persecute you in this city, flee to another. For assuredly, I say to you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
24 "A disciple is not above [his] teacher, nor a servant above his master. 25 "It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more [will they call] those of his household! 26 "Therefore do not fear them. For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known.

Matthew 24:3-22 [NKJV]
3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what [will be] the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"
4 And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many. 6 "And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all [these things] must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. 8 "All these [are] the beginning of sorrows.
9 "Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake. 10 "And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 "Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 "And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 "But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.
15 "Therefore when you see the 'abomination of desolation,' spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place" (whoever reads, let him understand), 16 "then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 "Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his house. 18 "And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. 19 "But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 20 "And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 "For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 "And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect's sake those days will be shortened.

Mark 13:3-20 [NKJV]
3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter, James, John, and Andrew asked Him privately, 4 "Tell us, when will these things be? And what [will be] the sign when all these things will be fulfilled?"
5 And Jesus, answering them, began to say: "Take heed that no one deceives you. 6 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am [He],' and will deceive many. 7 "But when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be troubled; for [such things] must happen, but the end [is] not yet. 8 "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be earthquakes in various places, and there will be famines and troubles. These [are] the beginnings of sorrows.
9 "But watch out for yourselves, for they will deliver you up to councils, and you will be beaten in the synagogues. You will be brought before rulers and kings for My sake, for a testimony to them. 10 "And the gospel must first be preached to all the nations. 11 "But when they arrest [you] and deliver you up, do not worry beforehand, or premeditate what you will speak. But whatever is given you in that hour, speak that; for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit. 12 "Now brother will betray brother to death, and a father [his] child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. 13 "And you will be hated by all for My name's sake. But he who endures to the end shall be saved.
14 "So when you see the 'abomination of desolation,' spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not" (let the reader understand), "then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 15 "Let him who is on the housetop not go down into the house, nor enter to take anything out of his house. 16 "And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. 17 "But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 18 "And pray that your flight may not be in winter. 19 "For [in] those days there will be tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the creation which God created until this time, nor ever shall be. 20 "And unless the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect's sake, whom He chose, He shortened the days.

Who is "he"?

What is "endured"?

When is the "end"?

Where does this happen?

Why does "saved" depend on enduring?

Last edited:

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The words of Jesus here, indicate that the salvation of which he speaks is not acquired until the person is judged favorably during the time of the end:

Matt. 24:9 “Then people will hand you over to tribulation and will kill you, and you will be hated by all the nations on account of my name. 10 Then, too, many will be stumbled and will betray one another and will hate one another. 11 Many false prophets will arise and mislead many; 12 and because of the increasing of lawlessness, the love of the greater number will grow cold. 13 But the one who has endured to the end will be saved.

Were they "saved" during the great tribulation? NO ... They weren't even spared having to go through the great tribulation for a while, and the consequences they will have to suffer will probably be very unpleasant. They had yet to be saved out of that:

Matt. 24:21 for then there will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again. 22 In fact, unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short.

... Then, when will be that salvation of them? At the end of the great tribulation:

Rev. 7:13 In response one of the elders said to me: “These who are dressed in the white robes, who are they and where did they come from?” 14 So right away I said to him: “My lord, you are the one who knows.” And he said to me: “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 15 That is why they are before the throne of God, and they are rendering him sacred service day and night in his temple; and the One seated on the throne will spread his tent over them.

The great crowd that will survive the great tribulation will shout happily after their salvation

Rev. 7:9 After this I saw, and look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, dressed in white robes; and there were palm branches in their hands. 10 And they keep shouting with a loud voice, saying: “Salvation we owe to our God, who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb.”

What benefits will those who are part of that great crowd receive after their salvation?

Rev. 7:16 They will hunger no more nor thirst anymore, neither will the sun beat down on them nor any scorching heat, 17 because the Lamb, who is in the midst of the throne, will shepherd them and will guide them to springs of waters of life. And God will wipe out every tear from their eyes.”

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The quote "But he who endures to the end will be saved" most certainly appears in the Bible - [three times, in fact] - and is oft quoted stripped from its surrounding context and employed to teach that men either:
Clearly, it is not a "proof text" for O.S.A.S. :) , but below I offer the verse within its context and solicit an honest answer and discussion to the question posted in the title:

16 "Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. 17 "But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils and scourge you in their synagogues. 18 "You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles. 19 "But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; 20 "for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.
21 "Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father [his] child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. 22 "And you will be hated by all for My name's sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved. 23 "When they persecute you in this city, flee to another. For assuredly, I say to you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
24 "A disciple is not above [his] teacher, nor a servant above his master. 25 "It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more [will they call] those of his household! 26 "Therefore do not fear them. For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known.

3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what [will be] the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"
4 And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many. 6 "And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all [these things] must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. 8 "All these [are] the beginning of sorrows.
9 "Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake. 10 "And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 "Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 "And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 "But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.
15 "Therefore when you see the 'abomination of desolation,' spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place" (whoever reads, let him understand), 16 "then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 "Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his house. 18 "And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. 19 "But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 20 "And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 "For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 "And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect's sake those days will be shortened.

3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter, James, John, and Andrew asked Him privately, 4 "Tell us, when will these things be? And what [will be] the sign when all these things will be fulfilled?"
5 And Jesus, answering them, began to say: "Take heed that no one deceives you. 6 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am [He],' and will deceive many. 7 "But when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be troubled; for [such things] must happen, but the end [is] not yet. 8 "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be earthquakes in various places, and there will be famines and troubles. These [are] the beginnings of sorrows.
9 "But watch out for yourselves, for they will deliver you up to councils, and you will be beaten in the synagogues. You will be brought before rulers and kings for My sake, for a testimony to them. 10 "And the gospel must first be preached to all the nations. 11 "But when they arrest [you] and deliver you up, do not worry beforehand, or premeditate what you will speak. But whatever is given you in that hour, speak that; for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit. 12 "Now brother will betray brother to death, and a father [his] child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. 13 "And you will be hated by all for My name's sake. But he who endures to the end shall be saved.
14 "So when you see the 'abomination of desolation,' spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not" (let the reader understand), "then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 15 "Let him who is on the housetop not go down into the house, nor enter to take anything out of his house. 16 "And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. 17 "But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 18 "And pray that your flight may not be in winter. 19 "For [in] those days there will be tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the creation which God created until this time, nor ever shall be. 20 "And unless the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect's sake, whom He chose, He shortened the days.

Who is "he"?

What is "endured"?

When is the "end"?

Where does this happen?

Who is "he"?
All Christians
What is "endured"?
Keeping the faith until the end of this system. Mat 24 is a prophecy of the last days, the period of time from the time Jesus was enthroned as King, until his return to remove the wicked from the earth. So upon his return only those living the faith will be preserved.
When is the "end"?
the end of the great tribulation
Where does this happen?
here on the earth

Salvation is receiving the gift of life. When we become a Christian, we sign on eternally

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Who is "he"?

What is "endured"?

When is the "end"?

Where does this happen?

Keep it simple man.

In ALL three examples, Jesus said that within the context of the "great tribulation" at the end of this world. The Matthew 24 and Mark 13 versions specifically were included in His Olivet discourse while He and His disciples were upon the Mount of Olives, and they asked Him about the Sign of His future coming and the end of the world.

1. Who is "he"?
Those who overcome in Christ Jesus for the 'end', the time of "great tribulation" (Matthew 24:21; Mark 13:19).

2. What is "endured"?
The time of "great tribulation" for the END of this world, a short period that happens just prior to Christ's future return. Some of Christ's elect are to be delivered up to councils and synagogues to give a Testimony for Jesus against them, speaking BY THE HOLY SPIRIT (see Mark 13).

3. "When is the "end"?
The latter half of the Daniel 9:27 symbolic "one week". Half of the one week is a period of 1260 days. This is tied to the time the dragon will have power and the Gentiles will tread the holy city, which is given in 42 months. That 42 months is the same time as 1260 days. (See Rev.11 and Rev.13).

4. Where does this happen?
Over the WHOLE WORLD, but events involving the Jews in Jerusalem for the end is specific to that area. But the "great tribulation" will be a time of persecution of Christ's elect over the whole... world.

5. Why does "saved" depend on enduring?

Because the "great tribulation" period is going to involve a false-Messiah setup as king and Messiah in Jerusalem, and will have powers to work great signs, wonders, and miracles to fool the WHOLE WORLD into thinking he is GOD having come. Apostle Paul warned those in Christ about this in 2 Thessalonians 2. Jesus warned His about it in His Olivet discourse. It involves taking the mark of the beast, and/or bowing to the IDOL abomination he will setup, called in Rev.13 the "image of the beast". So just like Daniel and his fellows who were commanded to bow in worship to the golden idol image of Nebuchadnezzar, or be killed, that is the kind of time this final event will be upon those in Christ Jesus.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Who is "he"?

What is "endured"?

When is the "end"?

Where does this happen?

1. "He" refers to Jesus' disciples, but also to those to whom they were and are sent.
  2. Each must "endure" the attacks on them as they walk from coming unto the knowledge of the truth, to going the way of the Master, whom is Christ.
  3. "The end" has two meanings: Christ is "the End" by name, and the "end" of Him in the flesh was crucifixion. To that End/end, all who would be His, must come into Him (and He in them) as "crucified with" Him.
  4. "The end" occurs "in Christ."
  5. Salvation depends on enduring to the end of one's self, where "it is no longer they who live, but Christ who lives in them." And unless one is willing to say that Christ after being crucified could have lost His salvation--there is no loss of salvation possible for those who "were crucified with" Him. For "it is no longer they who live, but Christ who lives in them."

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Who is "he"?

What is "endured"?

When is the "end"?

Where does this happen?

It is simple really. Teh context of Matthew 24 where this is found is the 7 year tribulation. In the second half- people half to take the mark or die or go into hiding.

In one sense it is about retaining salvation- for in the tribulation time the only ones to not take the mark are believers and the Jews. to take the mark means yo0u never were saved.

So one has to endure not taking the mark and all the potential troubles that come with that- and they will be not saved in salvation sense, but delivered and granted entrance into the millennial kingdom.

There are survivors of the tribulation. they are either sheep or goats as is declared in Matt. 25. when Jesus returns and sits on HIs throne on earth, He separates teh sheep from teh goats- the sheep are the ones that endured the tribulation in faith.

360watt

Jun 6, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

Who is "he"?

What is "endured"?

When is the "end"?

Where does this happen?

The save-- is salvation from what? Hell? No. It's salvation from trials and tribulations during end times.

Again.. this is not a verse about eternal salvation. It has nothing to do with salvation. It's about enduring trials.

In the bible there are two kinds of salvation.. one is deliverance daily.. exercising daily faith in Jesus.. and this is also enduring trials also. The other is eternal salvation.. which has nothing to do with endurance.. daily exercise of faith etc..

Of course someone has to be converted to be able to exercise daily faith in Jesus and endure trials, but this endurance and trials isn't the means OF eternal salvation.

Eternal salvation is from believing Jesus is God, that He died and rose again, and that by believing in Him, you have everlasting life. It's a gift.. not strings.. not earned.. unmerited.. unfavoured.

Daily salvation-- is the response to having been given this.. not the means by which it is given.

See most of the book of John for eternal salvation plus Romans 5:8, Romans 10 and a raft of other verses for it.

For daily faith. .endurance.. see James 2.

Daily salvation... endurance is not dependent on eternal salvation. They are seperate.. the relationship between the two is that you gotta have eternal salvation to be able to exercise daily faith in Jesus.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador