Enmity Between The Woman And The Serpent

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Genesis 3:15
And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

I've never understood what this means, so I'd like to know if anyone has an interpretation.

This is what I've come up with. Before the fall of man God made Adam in his own image and he was higher than the Angels. GHod commanded Lucifer to bow down before Adama and he refused, so God and St Michael cast him and all those Angels on his side out. So it makes sense that Adam knew who the serpent was, which is why the serpent aka satan chose to trick Eve and not Adam. Before the fall there was thusly already enmity between Adam and satan but Eve may not ahve been aware of this, so when the two are cast out of paradise God say's that he will put enmity between the woman and the serpent but does not mention the man, hence the Apocryphal story above. The main reason however for the enmity that God puts between the serpent who if not the devil in snake form is likely a minion or posessed creature (besides which I think God was talking to Satan rather than just a snake), is because God wanted mankind to be able to resist the devil and not come under his sway in the manner that the other Angels did.

Does this make sense?

Also, since the Jews at the time Genesis was written did not believe in the devil what is their interpretation of who the snake was? I know the Jews do have a belief in Satan because he is in the book of Job, but I don't think the ancient Jews did.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

I've never understood what this means, so I'd like to know if anyone has an interpretation.

This is what I've come up with. Before the fall of man God made Adam in his own image and he was higher than the Angels. GHod commanded Lucifer to bow down before Adama and he refused, so God and St Michael cast him and all those Angels on his side out. So it makes sense that Adam knew who the serpent was, which is why the serpent aka satan chose to trick Eve and not Adam. Before the fall there was thusly already enmity between Adam and satan but Eve may not ahve been aware of this, so when the two are cast out of paradise God say's that he will put enmity between the woman and the serpent but does not mention the man, hence the Apocryphal story above. The main reason however for the enmity that God puts between the serpent who if not the devil in snake form is likely a minion or posessed creature (besides which I think God was talking to Satan rather than just a snake), is because God wanted mankind to be able to resist the devil and not come under his sway in the manner that the other Angels did.

Does this make sense?

Also, since the Jews at the time Genesis was written did not believe in the devil what is their interpretation of who the snake was? I know the Jews do have a belief in Satan because he is in the book of Job, but I don't think the ancient Jews did.

Our Father knew the devil and therefore knows who the serpent represents. Our Father is the author...not the ancient Jews. :)

The first prophecy of the Bible is [Gen.3:15] and it holds enormous wealth to understanding. In essense....it is the key of David. The offspring of Satan, who is the serpent, will be in conflict with the offspring of the woman. Notice it said the "Seed of the woman." Women don't have seed so we know this refers to Christ. The serpent's offspring, through Cain, are termed Kenites.

The seed of the serpent buised the heels of Christ on the cross. The spiritual offspring of Christ....Christians, shall bruise the head of Satan...a death blow.

evanom

May 8, 2010
Bogota Colombia
This is what I've come up with. Before the fall of man God made Adam in his own image and he was higher than the Angels. GHod commanded Lucifer to bow down before Adama and he refused, so God and St Michael cast him and all those Angels on his side out. So it makes sense that Adam knew who the serpent was, which is why the serpent aka satan chose to trick Eve and not Adam. Before the fall there was thusly already enmity between Adam and satan but Eve may not ahve been aware of this, so when the two are cast out of paradise God say's that he will put enmity between the woman and the serpent but does not mention the man, hence the Apocryphal story above.

I'm convinced that you didn't "come up with" this, rather you read it somewhere. But if you did come with this.... how in the world did you??? Anyhow, i trust you read it somewhere. Read the Bible and you see that God symbolizes cities, contries, nations as a WOMAN. The enemity between Satan and the woman is between Satan and Israel. Satan has hated Israel since it's creation and for every generation to present day has been trying to destroy her. She doestroys Satan becuase of her offspring : Yeshua.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I'm convinced that you didn't "come up with" this, rather you read it somewhere. But if you did come with this.... how in the world did you??? Anyhow, i trust you read it somewhere. Read the Bible and you see that God symbolizes cities, contries, nations as a WOMAN. The enemity between Satan and the woman is between Satan and Israel. Satan has hated Israel since it's creation and for every generation to present day has been trying to destroy her. She doestroys Satan becuase of her offspring : Yeshua.

Don't you think I'm smart enoughto come up with things myself? Obviously I had to consult the Gospel of St Bartholomew and the Life of Adam and Eve.

I wonder! Are there types of snakes that bite people on the heel? (just out of interest)

Jar

Aug 1, 2010
Most poisonous snakes will strike a man in the legs if he's unfortunate to walk by one.

I believe that the quote you are referring to is how our relationship between the opposite sex is defined. As a man, do you know anything about women other than you have no idea what we are about? As a woman, I can't begin to pretend to know what is going on in my husband's noggin (I say this partially in exasperation and partially in wonderment). I think that the essence of a true relationship, one unhindered by sin, must be an incredibly powerful thing- one that Adam and Eve had the honour of expressing. We are all filled with sin-- greed, envy, jealousy, and certainly not least, adulterous lust 'The Seed of the Woman' is another term for Jesus who dealt a death blow to the serpent because those who accept salvation and have faith in the Lamb are no longer in danger of eternal damnation because of the serpent's death blow . Jesus was (as you most undoubtedly know) not tainted by the seed of Man. We are the seed of man and a sinful, imperfect lot we are often bruised by the strike of the serpent, or by Satan's influence but because Jesus crushed the serpent with his mighty heel by giving us salvation, he in turn dealt the final blow.I also think when God mentions the 'seed of woman' he is indeed referring to a woman's fertility. Embryos are what? Eggs. What are eggs? They could be defined as seeds-- they were referred to as such before such fancy terminology like ovum, embryo and zygote were coined.

Now lets dive into the literal here-- hold on to your skivvies.

I'm not sure if you are as aware as I am-- seeing as this has been my life for the past 4 years, but procreating can be a pain. I'm not talking about the act between man and wife, but the actual fertilization of an egg, and implantation. Ask an infertile couple, they'll be more than happy to tell you how easy it is to get pregnant. Do you know that a woman's window of fertility can be anywhere between 4 hours to 2 days? A woman's fertility rapidly decreases after the age of 35? Do you know that 1/3rd of a woman's ovaries have some sort of chromosomal abnormality? That it is believed that 90% of conception is actually miscarried without the woman's knowledge due to those chromosomal abnormalities? From structural problems, issues with the nutrients in the uterine lining, environment, and hormones in a woman's body to what can go wrong with a man's fertility- from motility, morphology, count, and crowding. And that's just conception- there's preeclampsya, gestational diabetes, structural issues like a weak cervix, Placenta previa when the pregnancy is viable beyond the first few weeks after conception. Sounds like a lot can go wrong, doesn't it? Do you think it's a coincidence that women like Hannah, Elizabeth, Anna, Phoebe, Rachel, Sarah (and I'm sure there are a few more that I haven't mentioned, but I'm sure you get my point) are mentioned in the bible and that for most of them, it was divine intervention that helped these women procreate?

Hope that helps.

evanom

May 8, 2010
Bogota Colombia
Don't you think I'm smart enoughto come up with things myself? Obviously I had to consult the Gospel of St Bartholomew and the Life of Adam and Eve.

Of course i think your smart. But the whole theory is so extra-biblical and elaborate that i assume it's been roaming around for centuries. I did a quick google on Gospel of St Bartholomew for i haven't heard of it before. It looks very gnostic! My advice: don't consider apocryphal books as being inspired.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I would never consider anything like that as inspired and I would assume it was left out of the Bible for being a bit gnostic On Bartholomew; Jesus summons Satan and commands him to tell Bartholomew how he became the devil and it is this story that we all accept since I've never found it anywhere in the Bible that Satan was once the top Archangel and and getting a third of the Heavenly host to side with him before being thrown out by Michael. revelations 12 kind of hints at it but doesn't really give us this story, yet it is widely accepted by Christians irregardless of denomination for explaining the oriogin of the devil.

The Catholic chruch used to cheat a bit because it would condemn certain books as heretical and then go and proclaim doctrines based on those very books. For example Purgatory is based on the Apocolyupse of St Peter,. there is also a book and the name escapes but it said that Mary ascended into Heaven as a virgin, but you won't find it mentioned in the Bible.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Forgot to mention!

I've been reading the Life of Adam and Eve. I don't regard it as inspired but I'd reccommend it as a really good read. Basically it is just a Medieval story that tries to flesh out our understanding of Adam, Eve and Seth. In other words it just tries to fill in the gaps. At one point it actually mentions Bethlehem and Jesus and even say's that Adam died on the exact spot where Jesus was born. So from the way it is written and the fact that it was written in latin, greek, Armenian, Georgian and Slavic (which Slavic language I don't know as it just say's Slavic), with a lot of difference between versions shows that it was clearly an attempt to expand the story of Adam and Eve. I found it a genuinely interesting read and really enjoyd it but would never cosnider it inspired.

http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/anderson/vita/vita.html

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
...how he became the devil and it is this story that we all accept since I've never found it anywhere in the Bible that Satan was once the top Archangel and and getting a third of the Heavenly host to side with him before being thrown out by Michael. revelations 12 kind of hints at it but doesn't really give us this story, yet it is widely accepted by Christians irregardless of denomination for explaining the oriogin of the devil.

There are a number of places in Scripture where we can read about Satan's beginning. You do need to be aware of his many names. Ezekiel 26, 27, 28 will tell you about Lucifer (the prince of Tyrus, Satan, the devil, the serpent, the dragon, the morning star, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, etc) Also in Isaiah 14, to mention a few places.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

This is a prophecy about the 'seed' of God and the 'seed' of Satan and how the seed of God (christ) will eventually crush the head of Satan the devil.

God is speaking to the serpent in this verse. Gen 3:14-15 "God proceeded to say to the serpent: “Because you have done this thing, you are the cursed one out of all the domestic animals and out of all the wild beasts of the field. Upon your belly you will go and dust is what you will eat all the days of your life. 15 And I shall put enmity between you and the woman and between your seed and her seed. He will bruise you in the head and you will bruise him in the heel."

The serpent is identified by John at Revelation 12:9 "So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth"

The woman is seen by John in vision at Revelation 12:1-2 "And a great sign was seen in heaven, a woman arrayed with the sun, and the moon was beneath her feet, and on her head was a crown of twelve stars, 2 and she was pregnant...and gives birth to a male child."
In prophecy, women often represent organizations “married” to outstanding personalities. In the Old Testament Israel was spoken of as the wife of God. (Jeremiah 3:14) And in the new testament, the congregation of anointed Christians is spoken of as Christ’s bride/wife. (Revelation 21:9-14) The woman that John sees in Revelation 12 is pregnant and married to God for he later sees the child “caught away to God and to his throne” and God accepts the child as his own (Revelation 12:5)
The only conclusion is that the 'child' is Jesus and the woman is the heavenly kingdom that produced the Child.
Going back to Genesis, the woman would produce a seed that would be in enmity with Satan and his seed. This is obviously the fight between Satan and Jesus. Jesus was killed by the seed of the serpent and then Jesus seed (christians) were also persecuted in like manner.

The fact that we are told that the serpent would bruise 'him' (Jesus) in the heel shows that Jesus was to suffer a small would from which he would recover, But later Jesus would then bruise the head of the Satan indicating that Satan would eventually receive a fatal wound.

And that is basically it. Its the prophecy of the kingdom to come headed by the Messiah and the ultimate destruction of that original Serpent who has been misleading the entire earth beginning with Adam and Eve.