Eschatology question?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lecoop

May 21, 2008
Eschatology should be based on a correct understanding of the word of God!! Coop

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Maybe I should rephrase my question.
Should eschatology influence christology and soteriology or should soteriology and christology influence eschatology?

kay-gee

Oct 23, 2009
Huh??? A little philosophical for me. Could you put that into Kings English? LOL

all the best...

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I'd say understanding first soteriology and Christology lead to Eschatology basic on our logic. However, to understand Christ (and Christianity), I think he has to be understood in the context of "the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever." (Hebrews 13:8) Eschatology is as much a part of Christ as anything, in our beginning to understand what he has done for us.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
SwampFox said:
Well I'd say understanding first soteriology and Christology lead to Eschatology basic on our logic. However, to understand Christ (and Christianity), I think he has to be understood in the context of "the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever." (Hebrews 13:8) Eschatology is as much a part of Christ as anything, in our beginning to understand what he has done for us.

I agree but a misunderstanding concerning eschatology reveals a misunderstanding in Christology. In my opinion, understanding Christ(Christology) and what He was sent to do and accomplish (soteriology) must be understood in some degree in order to have a proper understanding of what and how things transpire in the end( eschatology).

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Should eschatology be founded on Christology and soteriology?

All three are parts of a Systematic Theology.

A fairly common Systematic Theology might go like this:

Bibliology -- the study of the Bible.
Theology Proper -- the study of the doctrine of God.
Christology -- the study of Jesus.
Pneumatology -- the study of the Holy Spirit.
Anthropology -- the study of humanity.
Soteriology -- the study of Salvation.
Ecclesiology -- the study of the Church.
Eschatology -- the study of last things or end times.

Each part is somewhat independent as well as being part of the whole.

daviddee

May 21, 2011
Interesting view point ......I think in these last days we just need to get people to the cross, Jesus already the rest.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Well, I'd say that anything we know of 'end times' is found in what Jesus has told us of it, as well as what the Holy Spirit has revealed to Paul about it. And considering that our 'hope' of the end times rests fully on Jesus and the Salvation He gives, well, yeah I'd say eschatology does rely on those things! Just MHO.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Well, I'd say that anything we know of 'end times' is found in what Jesus has told us of it, as well as what the Holy Spirit has revealed to Paul about it. And considering that our 'hope' of the end times rests fully on Jesus and the Salvation He gives, well, yeah I'd say eschatology does rely on those things! Just MHO.

2 Pet 3:1-2
1 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:
2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:
(KJV)

When you read The Gospel Books and the Epistles of His Apostles, it should be understood all they had which was written at that time were the Old Testament Books of God's Word.