Everyone you dislike will end up in heaven having faith in the Gospel?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Karl Peters,

While reading your first comment about judging you also reminded me of this scripture found in the letter of James.

“My brethren, do not hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with partiality. For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in filthy clothes, and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, “You sit here in a good place,” and say to the poor man, “You stand there,” or, “Sit here at my footstool,” have you not shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts? Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?”
‭‭James‬ ‭2:1-5‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Thank you for commenting with your thoughts and opinions you had to share here, I know I’m reminded in my early Christianhood by looking down at other people and judging them spitefully. While still going and learning about God and Jesus my life changed around for the better in looking at myself and my own mistakes which I still make today. Very thankful for the Lord and what he has done for all of the world, and not as some suggest “only for the elect does God only love”, which is a specific doctrine taught in Calvinism, or any thing else that may take away from the Gospel of Christ.

If you or anyone else has anymore thoughts or opinions to share please feel free to drop by and do so.

My encouragement for anyone is to get in and read your Bible whoever may read this.

God bless,

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Reactions: Karl Peters

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To say we like or dislike other people is to judge them!!
Hope you're not talking about me. Like I'm in danger of judgment...

I had one person that I helped with food get violently angry with me for cutting him off finally, because he was spending all of his own money on drugs instead of buying food for himself.

I had another person that I would walk by and wouldn't keep 6 feet distance from me before I was vaccinated. He spent several days a week at church and never wore a mask. I tried to give him room to walk a distance a way. He finally turned to me and told me: You're a weirdo.

And another person kept asking me whether or not we had empty apartments at my apartment building. I told him repeatedly that I was not the owner and we had no vacancies. He got angry with me.

These are all people that got angry with me for no valid reason. The bible talks about that type of behavior:

Matthew 5:22
“But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.”

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Most of the people I dislike? Will I be surrounded by them as an eternal punishment of heaven? I thought that was hell.
No you will be mind wiped, cleansed from that. The former things wont be remembered or come into mind...God wipes away all tears.

No one in heaven can have any animosity towards anyone else. God does not allow for it and he makes sure it wont happen.
There is peace in heaven.
Those who were in heaven, some angels about a third, who did have animosity, or enmity, they left their proper abode (descended to earth to cause havoc) or God kicked them out for good using Michael and his angels who fought against the Dragon and his angels and no place was found for them in heaven anymore.

Reactions: MatthewG

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Whether we like someone or not, I don't think it really matters so much but I do believe that God places people on our path to mature us.
There are some christians that I find difficult and some non-believers lovely and vise visa. The key to me is to be able treat everyone the way Jesus would have treated them and not to judge based on face value because no-one really knows what hell someone has just came out from accept God...he knows

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a pity none of the translators knew that and translated the idiom like they did other Jewish idioms … Why would the Holy Spirit quote a Jewish idiom in Greek and not bother to translate the meaning?

Luke 14 is hyperbole … like plucking out your eye (Matthew 18:9) … to emphasize the importance of what is being said.
Read the context of Malachi 1:2-5 and see how God demonstrated His “love” for Esau then try a real exegesis of the verse.

2 “I have loved you,” says the LORD.
“Yet you say, ‘In what way have You loved us?’
Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?”
Says the LORD.
“Yet Jacob I have loved;
3 But Esau I have hated,
And laid waste his mountains and his heritage

For the jackals of the wilderness.”
4 Even though Edom has said,
“We have been impoverished,
But we will return and build the desolate places,”
Thus says the LORD of hosts:
They may build, but I will throw down;

They shall be called the Territory of Wickedness,
And the people against whom the LORD will have indignation forever.

5 Your eyes shall see,
And you shall say,
‘The LORD is magnified beyond the border of Israel.’

[I suppose Revelation is just God “loving sinners less” (Revelation 14:18-20, Revelation 19:15) than those whose names are written in the Book of Life (Revelation 20:15).]

That’s what studying the scriptures is for - to learn their meaning.

What the Bible says about God hating Esau is explained by what Jesus said about hating our family.

And a little research shows that is a Jewish idiom that means to love less, not to actually and literally hate.

Here’s just one OF MANY scholarly commentary explaining the biblical and historical facts on this issue, by Albert Barnes:

This does not mean any positive hatred; but that he had preferred Jacob, and had withheld from Esau those privileges and blessings which he had conferred on the posterity of Jacob. This is explained in Mal 1:3,” And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness;” compare Jer 49:17-18; Eze 35:6. It was common among the Hebrews to use the terms “love” and “hatred” in this comparative sense, where the former implied strong positive attachment, and the latter, not positive hatred, but merely a less love, or the withholding of the expressions of affection

Last edited:

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Whether we like someone or not, I don't think it really matters so much but I do believe that God places people on our path to mature us.
There are some christians that I find difficult and some non-believers lovely and vise visa. The key to me is to be able treat everyone the way Jesus would have treated them and not to judge based on face value because no-one really knows what hell someone has just came out from accept God...he knows
If God puts a fellow brother in your path and you despise or even perhaps hate them, then God is trying you, you also need to examine yourself to see if your really in the faith.
We are told by John we are not to hate our brother in the faith.
It is also why some of the Corinthians, God made many sick and some died as a judgement against them, because they despised and could not discern the body of Christ, as in the individual members of their church.

17 Now in giving these instructions I do not praise you, since you come together not for the better but for the worse.
18 For first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it.
19 For there must also be factions among you, that those who are approved may be recognized among you.
20 Therefore when you come together in one place, it is not to eat the Lord’s Supper.
21 For in eating, each one takes his own supper ahead of others; and one is hungry and another is drunk.
22 What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing?
What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you.

Institution of the Lord’s Supper
23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.

Examine Yourself
27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. 30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

33 Therefore, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. 34 But if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, lest you come together for judgment. And the rest I will set in order when I come.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hope you're not talking about me. Like I'm in danger of judgment...

I had one person that I helped with food get violently angry with me for cutting him off finally, because he was spending all of his own money on drugs instead of buying food for himself.

I had another person that I would walk by and wouldn't keep 6 feet distance from me before I was vaccinated. He spent several days a week at church and never wore a mask. I tried to give him room to walk a distance a way. He finally turned to me and told me: You're a weirdo.

And another person kept asking me whether or not we had empty apartments at my apartment building. I told him repeatedly that I was not the owner and we had no vacancies. He got angry with me.

These are all people that got angry with me for no valid reason. The bible talks about that type of behavior:

Matthew 5:22
“But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.”

Why does a person get angry and upset when we are trying to help them? Do they not even understand that?

People - pay attention to the Lord and listen to Him!!

We are not battling with the person, but do we not understand that we all (including the person on drugs) battle with the dark spiritual forces of this world??? It is in the Bible, but that just means that if we do listen to the Lord we will find out that He covers that information with us!!!

Jesus Christ is the light of the world - meaning that He is the One who shines light on what is actually happening. Have we been listening to the Lord?? Does He not cover the fact that there are dark evil spiritual forces in this world that we people battle with???

Then the person with a drug problem has that drug problem because of the influence that the dark evil spiritual forces (demons, evil spirit) are creating a problem in them with their influence!! So a man, wanting to do what is right and good, like get off drugs because he knows that the drugs are not good for him, has trouble doing so because of the influence evil (spirits) have on him!! We Christian, supposedly knowing the Light of this world (Jesus Christ) should be able to see this, right?? We should have talked to our Lord who covered the battle we have with the dark forces of this world, right?

Yet if we don't actually listen to the Lord, then we remain blind (spiritually speaking). We then look at the person on drugs and think - what a bad person he is - instead of looking at the person on drugs realizing he needs help with his battle, because he is losing that battle!

He we think the person is a bad person, we probably think we are the good person, but only God is good!! That is in the Bible! Jesus is the One good person to have taken on flesh!! He helped those with the battles they had. He cast out demons! He healed the sick! And my friends - He still does those things today, and He will even use us in His work - if we listen to Him - and obey His instructions to us. Of course first He might need to teach us a few things - like there is a battle that people have with the real powers, principalities, and dark spiritual forces of this world.

Are we still looking at the angry man on drugs and condemning him, or are we looking at the angry man on drugs and realize He needs the Lord Jesus Christ in his life to help him with the battle he is losing?

In other words - are you disliking the angry man on drugs or are you thinking about how to help Him by leading Him to Jesus Christ so He might get the help He needs??

If that angry man, and I mostly mean us, seeks the Lord Jesus Christ he/us will get help - if we care to listen to the advice the Lord has for us! Still, we all have freewill - meaning that God has put before us both good (Himself) and evil (those dark spiritual forces of this world) and we need to choose good (Jesus Christ). So do we?

Not enough!! I know this and I don't seek Him enough - usually only about a dozen times a day do I seek the Lord and listen to His small voice give me instructions, counsel, teaching, and such. But that is more than enough to realize that my battle is not with flesh and blood but those demonic forces (spirits) that are in this world. So who do I really dislike? It's not so much the angry man on drugs, but the spirits influencing that man, isn't it? Well... at least when I remember to remember what my Lord taught me I am not so inclined to be angry at men, but I think about the spiritual realm around me and turn back to the Lord to listen.

Reactions: MatthewG

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God puts a fellow brother in your path and you despise or even perhaps hate them, then God is trying you, you also need to examine yourself to see if your really in the faith.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is usually the case!!

The Lord is our teacher, and He is very personal!! That means He is concerned with us.

But one thing to remember and that is - 'When you need an examination, is it not wise to see the doctor? Therefore, when you start to examine yourself and see a potential problem, should you not go to our great physician and counselor (Jesus Christ) and get help?

Indeed, if there are factions and different groups who tend to like and dislike others, then isn't that because we are not all actually seeking the Lord for ourselves? Are not those problems a result of seeking people as opposed to the Lord. We should be able to enjoy a relationship with the Lord and like people in general, shouldn't we? Infact enjoying a relationship with the Lord should me that we like people, shouldn't it. Maybe it might be wise to be with a certain group, based on His instructions and purposed for you. Maybe it is not even wise to be with and certain group of even person, for various reason. Yet that reason should not be because of a dislike for them, but because of the wisdom of the Lord passed on to you, right?

Reactions: Scott Downey

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was common among the Hebrews to use the terms “love” and “hatred” in this comparative sense, where the former implied strong positive attachment, and the latter, not positive hatred, but merely a less love, or the withholding of the expressions of affection
God’s ACTIONS in Malachi 1 do not agree with an idiom for a “lesser love”.
Nothing says “I like you, like turning your home into a cursed, desolate wasteland”?

… and sometimes, Hate means Hate (God does not “love sin less”.)

Reactions: Scott Downey

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here’s just one OF MANY scholarly commentary explaining the biblical and historical facts on this issue, by Albert Barnes:
And here Matthew Henry explains what is going on in Malachi 1:
  • III. He makes it out, beyond contradiction, that he has loved them, loved them in a distinguishing way, which was in a special manner obliging. For proof of this he shows the difference he had made, and would still make, between Jacob and Esau, between Israelites and Edomites. Some read their question, Wherefore hast thou loved us? as if they did indeed own that he had loved them, but withal insinuate that there was a reason for it-that he loved them because their father Abraham had loved him, so that it was not a free love, but a love of debt, to which he replies, "Was not Esau as near akin to Abraham as you are? Was he not Jacob's own brother, his elder brother? And therefore, if there were any right to a recompence for Abraham's love, Esau had it, and yet I hated Esau and loved Jacob."
    • 1. Let them see what a difference God had made between Jacob and Esau. Esau was Jacob's brother, his twin-brother: "Yet I loved Jacob and I hated Esau, that is, took Jacob into covenant, and entailed the blessing on him and his, but refused and rejected Esau." Note, Those that are taken into covenant with God, that have the lively oracles and the means of grace committed to them, have reason to look upon these as tokens of his love. Jacob is loved, for he has these, Esau hated, for he has not. The apostle quotes this (Rom. 9:13), and compares it with what the oracle said to Rebecca concerning her twins (Gen. 25:23), The elder shall serve the younger, to illustrate the doctrine of God's sovereignty in dispensing his favours; for may he not do what he will with his own? Esau was justly hated, but Jacob freely loved; even so, Father, because it seemed good in thy eyes, and it is not for us to ask why or wherefore.
    • 2. Let them see what he was now doing and would do with them, pursuant to this original difference.
      • (1.) The Edomites shall be made the monuments of God's justice, and he will be glorified in their utter destruction: For Esau have I hated; I laid his mountains waste, the mountains of Seir, which were his heritage.When all that part of the world was ravaged by the Chaldean army the country of Edom was, among the rest, laid in ruins, and became a habitation for the dragons of the wilderness, so perfectly desolate was it; as was foretold, Isa. 34:6, 11. The Edomites had triumphed in Jerusalem's overthrow (Ps. 137:7), and therefore it was just with God to put the same cup of trembling into their hands. And, though Edom's ruins were last, yet they were lasting, and the desolation perpetual; and in this the difference was made between Jacob and Esau, and is made between the righteous and the wicked, to whom otherwise all things come alike, and there seems to be one event. Jacob's cities are laid waste, but they are rebuilt; Edom's are laid waste, and never rebuilt. The sufferings of the righteous will have an end and will end well; all their grievances will be redressed, and their sorrow turned into joy; but the sufferings of the wicked will be endless and remediless, as Edom's desolations, v. 4. Observe here,
        • [1.] The vain hopes of the Edomites, that they shall have their ruins repaired as well as Israel, though they had no promise to build their hope upon. They say, "It is true, we are impoverished; it is the common chance, and there is no remedy; but we will return and build the desolate places; we are resolved we will" (not so much as asking God leave); "we will whether he will or no; nay, we will do it in defiance of God's curse, and that sentence pronounced upon Edom (Isa. 34:10), From generation to generation it shall lie waste."They build presumptuously, as Hiel built Jericho in direct contradiction to the word of God (1 Ki. 16:34), and it shall speed accordingly. Note, It is common for those whose hearts are unhumbled under humbling providences to think to make their part good against God himself, and to build, and plant, and flourish again as much as ever, though God has said that they shall be impoverished. But see,
        • [2.] The dashing of these hopes and the disappointment of them: They say, We will build; but what says the Lord of hosts? For we are sure his word shall stand, and not theirs; and he says,
          • First, Their attempts shall be baffled: They shall build, but I will throw down. Note, Those that walk contrary to God will find that he will walk contrary to them; for who ever hardened his heart against God and prospered? When the Jews had rejected Christ and his gospel they became Edomites, and this word was fulfilled in them; for when, in the time of the emperor Adrian, they attempted to rebuild Jerusalem, God by earthquakes and eruptions of fire threw down what they built, so that they were forced to quit the enterprise.
          • Secondly, They shall be looked upon by all as abandoned to utter ruin. All that see them shall call them the border of wickedness, a sinful nation, incurably so, and therefore the people against whom the Lord has indignation for ever. Since their wickedness is such as will never be reformed, their desolations shall be such as are never to be repaired. Against Israel God was a little displeased (Zec. 1:15), but against Edom he has indignation, and will have for ever, for they are the people of his curse, Isa. 34:5.
      • (2.) The Israelites shall be made the monuments of his mercy, and he will be glorified in their salvation, v. 5. "The Edomites shall be stigmatized as a people hated of God, but your eyes shall see your doubts concerning his love to you for ever silenced; for you shall say, and have cause to say, The Lord is and will be magnified from the border of Israel,from every part and border of the land of Israel." The border of Edom is a border of wickedness, and therefore the Lord will have indignation against it for ever; but the border of Israel is a border of holiness, the border of the sanctuary (Ps. 78:54), and therefore God will make it to appear (though it may for a time lie desolate) that he has mercy in store for it, and thence he will be magnified; he will give his people Israel both cause, and hearts, to praise him. When the border of Edom still remains desolate, and the border of Israel is repaired and replenished, then it will appear that God has loved Jacob. Note,
        • [1.] Those who doubt of God's love to his people shall, sooner or later, have convincing and undeniable proofs given them of it: "yourown eyes shall see what you will not believe."
        • [2.] Deliverances out of trouble are to be reckoned proofs of God's good-will to his people, though they may be suffered to fall into trouble, Ps. 34:19.
        • [3.] Distinguishing favours are very obliging. If God rear up again the border of Israel, but leave the border of Edom in ruins, let no Israelite ask, for shame, Wherein hast thou loved us?
        • [4.] The dignifying of Israel is the magnifying of the God of Israel, and, one way or other, God will have honour from his professing people.
        • [5.] God's goodness being his glory, when he does us good we must proclaim him great, for that is magnifying him. It is an instance of his goodness that he has pleasure in the prosperity of his servants, and for this those that love his salvation say, The Lord be magnified, Ps. 35:27.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And here David Guzik explains what is going on in Malachi 1:
  • b. Yet Jacob I have loved; but Esau I have hated: God asks Israel to find assurance in His election. He wants them to understand that they are chosen and remain His chosen and favored people. When the people of Israel compared themselves to their neighbors the Edomites (the descendants of Esau), they saw that God chose to preserve Israel and punished the Edomites.

i. Obadiah promised judgment against the land and people of Edom. Apparently by Malachi's time it had happened, and God's choice of Israel assured His love for them.​

ii. Understanding our election can bring a wonderful assurance of God's love. It means that God chose us before we existed and that the reasons for His choosing and loving us are based in Him, not in us. Knowing God chose us gives us a sense of boldness and confidence in our walk with Him.​

iii. Understanding our election gives assurance of love but since the finished work of Jesus we have a new demonstration of love: But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).​

c. Jacob I have loved; but Esau I have hated: The choice of Jacob over Esau is a strong and classic example of God's election. God chose Jacob instead of Esau to carry the blessing promised to their grandfather Abraham. In some ways, Esau was a more likely candidate because though Jacob and Esau were twins, Esau was born first. Nevertheless Jacob was chosen, and chosen before he and Esau were ever born (Genesis 25:23).

d. Jacob I have loved; but Esau I have hated: How could God hateEsau? He didn't hate Esau in the sense of cursing him or striking out against him. Indeed, Esau was a blessed man (Genesis 33:9, 36:1-43). Yet when God chose Jacob, He left Esau unchosen in regard to receiving the blessing given to Abraham.

i. In his commentary on Romans (where Paul quotes this Malachi passage in Romans 9:13) Leon Morris cites examples where hateclearly seems to mean something like "loved less" (Genesis 29:31-33, Deuteronomy 21:15, Matthew 6:24, Luke 14:26, John 12:25). Yet he agrees with Calvin's idea that the real thought here is much more like "accepted" and "rejected" more than it is like our understanding of the terms "loved" and "hated."​

ii. Remember the reason why election is brought up here: not to exclude, but to comfort and reassure. "A woman once said to Mr. Spurgeon, 'I cannot understand why God should say that He hated Esau.' 'That,' Spurgeon replied, 'is not my difficulty, madam. My trouble is to understand how God could love Jacob.'" (William Newell in his commentary on Romans)​

iii. Malachi isn't teaching double predestination. "Malachi is not speaking of the predestination of the one brother and reprobation of the other; he is contrasting the histories of the two peoples represented by them … Both nations sinned; both are punished; but Israel by God's free mercy was forgiven and restored, while Edom was left in the misery which it had brought upon itself by its own iniquity." (Pulpit)​

e. Our greatest error in considering God's election is to think that God chooses for arbitrary reasons, as if He made choices in an "eeny-meeny-miny-moe" way of choosing. We may not understand God's reasons for choosing and they may be reasons He alone knows and answers to, but God's choices are not capricious. They make perfect sense knowing everything God knows and seeing everything God sees.

i. Some consider God's election as conditional, in the sense that it is based upon foreknowledge. Others consider God's election unconditional, based on God's sovereign choice. Here, it seems that the election of Jacob was unconditional. Though God knew what sort of men Jacob and Esau would become His election was not based on that.​

ii. One might say, "I don't believe in Jesus; therefore I must not be chosen." That is fine, but then that person cannot blame God at all for not choosing them if they refuse to choose Him.​

f. And laid waste his mountains and his heritage for the jackals of the wilderness: The idea of God's preference for Jacob over Esau also extended to their descendents. The nation descended from Jacob (Israel) was conquered by the Babylonian Empire, and so was the nation descended from Esau (Edom). Yet God restored Israel from exile and at this point Edom had not been restored. God chose to show more favor to Jacob and his descendants.

g. They may build, but I will throw down: God promises that Edom will be permanently ruined, and that their status as "unchosen" won't change. As a reflection of God's steadfast commitment to Israel, this is a comfort to God's people - once He chose Israel they stay chosen, and God will not forsake them and choose another.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God is the righteous judge.

Sin paid for on the cross.

Freewill choice.

Believers - non believers.

You ever met a Christian who professed he was a believer and you didn’t like him, so you deemed him no good? Hell I’ve done that with plenty of people being a Christian with wrong heart motives.

There are gonna people you probably couldn’t stand in Heaven, but it will be okay, new heavenly bodies, and everything spiritual will abound. There will be people that will be helping possibly those who are outside the kingdom to come into the light (spectulation: Revelation 22).

Everyone who passes this life go on to be judged, and God makes his fair judgment, and he desires none to perish. There will be some outside the kingdom of Heaven, and some coming into the heavenly kingdom.

If I’m wrong I’ll be wrong when I get there though this is what the Bible still suggested a God who is love, who desires for none to perish.

In Christ, peace, mercy, love,

Matthew Gallagher
Calvary consisted of judgement both man's and God's.
Man judged God as unworthy of their worship, God judged man as valuable enough to give his life for.
At Calvary the motives/characters of both fallen angels, of men and of God are exposed/revealed.

Reactions: Lambano

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And here Matthew Henry explains what is going on in Malachi 1:
  • III. He makes it out, beyond contradiction, that he has loved them, loved them in a distinguishing way, which was in a special manner obliging. For proof of this he shows the difference he had made, and would still make, between Jacob and Esau, between Israelites and Edomites. Some read their question, Wherefore hast thou loved us? as if they did indeed own that he had loved them, but withal insinuate that there was a reason for it-that he loved them because their father Abraham had loved him, so that it was not a free love, but a love of debt, to which he replies, "Was not Esau as near akin to Abraham as you are? Was he not Jacob's own brother, his elder brother? And therefore, if there were any right to a recompence for Abraham's love, Esau had it, and yet I hated Esau and loved Jacob."
    • 1. Let them see what a difference God had made between Jacob and Esau. Esau was Jacob's brother, his twin-brother: "Yet I loved Jacob and I hated Esau, that is, took Jacob into covenant, and entailed the blessing on him and his, but refused and rejected Esau." Note, Those that are taken into covenant with God, that have the lively oracles and the means of grace committed to them, have reason to look upon these as tokens of his love. Jacob is loved, for he has these, Esau hated, for he has not. The apostle quotes this (Rom. 9:13), and compares it with what the oracle said to Rebecca concerning her twins (Gen. 25:23), The elder shall serve the younger, to illustrate the doctrine of God's sovereignty in dispensing his favours; for may he not do what he will with his own? Esau was justly hated, but Jacob freely loved; even so, Father, because it seemed good in thy eyes, and it is not for us to ask why or wherefore.
    • 2. Let them see what he was now doing and would do with them, pursuant to this original difference.
      • (1.) The Edomites shall be made the monuments of God's justice, and he will be glorified in their utter destruction: For Esau have I hated; I laid his mountains waste, the mountains of Seir, which were his heritage.When all that part of the world was ravaged by the Chaldean army the country of Edom was, among the rest, laid in ruins, and became a habitation for the dragons of the wilderness, so perfectly desolate was it; as was foretold, Isa. 34:6, 11. The Edomites had triumphed in Jerusalem's overthrow (Ps. 137:7), and therefore it was just with God to put the same cup of trembling into their hands. And, though Edom's ruins were last, yet they were lasting, and the desolation perpetual; and in this the difference was made between Jacob and Esau, and is made between the righteous and the wicked, to whom otherwise all things come alike, and there seems to be one event. Jacob's cities are laid waste, but they are rebuilt; Edom's are laid waste, and never rebuilt. The sufferings of the righteous will have an end and will end well; all their grievances will be redressed, and their sorrow turned into joy; but the sufferings of the wicked will be endless and remediless, as Edom's desolations, v. 4. Observe here,
        • [1.] The vain hopes of the Edomites, that they shall have their ruins repaired as well as Israel, though they had no promise to build their hope upon. They say, "It is true, we are impoverished; it is the common chance, and there is no remedy; but we will return and build the desolate places; we are resolved we will" (not so much as asking God leave); "we will whether he will or no; nay, we will do it in defiance of God's curse, and that sentence pronounced upon Edom (Isa. 34:10), From generation to generation it shall lie waste."They build presumptuously, as Hiel built Jericho in direct contradiction to the word of God (1 Ki. 16:34), and it shall speed accordingly. Note, It is common for those whose hearts are unhumbled under humbling providences to think to make their part good against God himself, and to build, and plant, and flourish again as much as ever, though God has said that they shall be impoverished. But see,
        • [2.] The dashing of these hopes and the disappointment of them: They say, We will build; but what says the Lord of hosts? For we are sure his word shall stand, and not theirs; and he says,
          • First, Their attempts shall be baffled: They shall build, but I will throw down. Note, Those that walk contrary to God will find that he will walk contrary to them; for who ever hardened his heart against God and prospered? When the Jews had rejected Christ and his gospel they became Edomites, and this word was fulfilled in them; for when, in the time of the emperor Adrian, they attempted to rebuild Jerusalem, God by earthquakes and eruptions of fire threw down what they built, so that they were forced to quit the enterprise.
          • Secondly, They shall be looked upon by all as abandoned to utter ruin. All that see them shall call them the border of wickedness, a sinful nation, incurably so, and therefore the people against whom the Lord has indignation for ever. Since their wickedness is such as will never be reformed, their desolations shall be such as are never to be repaired. Against Israel God was a little displeased (Zec. 1:15), but against Edom he has indignation, and will have for ever, for they are the people of his curse, Isa. 34:5.
      • (

Your logic is flawed.

God didn’t make Edom a wasteland because He hated Esau, but because they shed innocent blood:

Joe 3:19 “Egypt shall become a desolation and Edom a desolate wilderness, for the violence done to the people of Judah, because they have shed innocent blood in their land.

You failed to make your case.

God loved Esau less.

Jacob I have loved; but Esau I have hated: God did not hate Esau in the sense of cursing him or striking out against him. Indeed, Esau was a blessed man (Gen 33:9; Gen 36:1-43). Yet when God chose Jacob, He left Esau unchosen in regard to receiving the blessing given to Abraham.

i. In his commentary on Romans (where Paul quoted this Malachi passage in Rom 9:13) Leon Morris cited examples where hate clearly seems to mean something like “loved less” (Gen 29:31-33, Deu 21:15, Mat 6:24, Luk 14:26, Joh 12:25). Yet he agreed with Calvin’s idea that the real thought here is much more like “accepted” and “rejected” more than it is like our understanding of the terms “loved” and “hated.”

Even Calvin knew it doesn’t mean God literally hated Esau.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In his commentary on Romans (where Paul quotes this Malachi passage in Romans 9:13) Leon Morris cites examples where hateclearly seems to mean something like "loved less" (Genesis 29:31-33, Deuteronomy 21:15, Matthew 6:24, Luke 14:26, John 12:25). Yet he agrees with Calvin's idea that the real thought here is much more like "accepted" and "rejected" more than it is like our understanding of the terms "loved" and "hated."

Read your own commentary from the Calvinist Guzik:

In his commentary on Romans (where Paul quotes this Malachi passage in Romans 9:13) Leon Morris cites examples where hateclearly seems to mean something like "loved less" (Genesis 29:31-33, Deuteronomy 21:15, Matthew 6:24, Luke 14:26, John 12:25). Yet he agrees with Calvin's idea that the real thought here is much more like "accepted" and "rejected" more than it is like our understanding of the terms "loved" and "hated."