Examine Yourselves

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Cor. 13:5-6
"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates."

Paul is telling us to check up on our faith from time to time. Is your faith in Christ and His finished work, in His death, burial, and resurrection for you?

How do we "examine ourselves" to see that our faith is in the correct object?

1 Cor. 11:23-26
"For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

"And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come."

This is your examination! The Lord's Supper is the time for you to reflect on what your faith is made of! The broken body of Christ crucified for your sins, the cup of His Blood shed for your forgiveness of sins.

The next time you have the Lord's Supper in your Church, Examine yourself, whether you are in the faith!
Good. But I would also submit that Communion can be received wherever you are with any Christians you are with. The disciples did this everywhere, when church buildings did not exist yet, they met in homes or outside. Communion with bread and wine anywhere, what a concept.

Reactions: Charlie24

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sounds like something you would say! The puzzle is placing itself, it always does!

??? What puzzle???

So you won't ask me for my motivation for questioning your posts...
You won't explain your posts in response to my questions...
So you are not looking like an honest teacher.

And yes... my sister was murdered by her own son. And yes I had turned to God for judgement the months before that happened.
I think that my openness with those details would prove you can ask me anything and I will answer you honestly.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good. But I would also submit that Communion can be received wherever you are with any Christians you are with. The disciples did this everywhere, when church buildings did not exist yet, they met in homes or outside. Communion with bread and wine anywhere, what a concept.

I would certainly agree! It was Christ who initiated and Paul who explained, as it is the wishes of the Holy Spirit.

While was pointing to the object of our faith, he explained how we keep that object of faith through examination.

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would certainly agree! It was Christ who initiated and Paul who explained, as it is the wishes of the Holy Spirit.

While was pointing to the object of our faith, he explained how we keep that object of faith through examination.

Chapter and verse.
Where exactly is that explanation for that purpose?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
??? What puzzle???

So you won't ask me for my motivation for questioning your posts...
You won't explain your posts in response to my questions...
So you are not looking like an honest teacher.

And yes... my sister was murdered by her own son. And yes I had turned to God for judgement the months before that happened.
I think that my openness with those details would prove you can ask me anything and I will answer you honestly.

I am sorry for your loss, I truly am. I have not experienced that, and can't really imagine the suffering that has brought into your life.

We just see things differently, David. I am consumed with the Word of God, that is my life.

I can sense when something is off balance, when there is something amiss that the Lord is dealing with.

I pray the Lord will comfort your heart, that He will give you that peace that passes all understanding.

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am sorry for your loss, I truly am. I have not experienced that, and can't really imagine the suffering that has brought into your life.

We just see things differently, David. I am consumed with the Word of God, that is my life.

I can sense when something is off balance, when there is something amiss that the Lord is dealing with.

I pray the Lord will comfort your heart, that He will give you that peace that passes all understanding.

Remember not to trust your own heart as it is wicked.
So you won't explain your views on communion better because you have bad feals in your goobles.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember not to trust your own heart as it is wicked.
So you won't explain your views on communion better because you have bad feals in your goobles.

Anyone who would argue this thread has a problem, David. Just being honest!

You are pursuing and argument that doesn't exist. There is something wrong, David!

Take a look at the constant arguments you have with others on these boards.

It's time for an examination! It's time for you to settle it with the Lord, whatever that is!

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Anyone who would argue this thread has a problem, David. Just being honest!

You are pursuing and argument that doesn't exist. There is something wrong, David!

Take a look at the constant arguments you have with others on these boards.

It's time for an examination! It's time for you to settle it with the Lord, whatever that is!

What are you talking about?
Remember to stick to the theological question under discussion.
Where does Paul say that "examine yourself" is about anything other than gluttony?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are you talking about?
Remember to stick to the theological question under discussion.
Where does Paul say that "examine yourself" is about anything other than gluttony?

I've already answered that in post# 5.

Paul tells us to examine ourselves and then take of that bread and drink of that cup.

The Lord's Supper is time for one to check up on the object of their faith (Christ).

Not just anything about Christ, but His crucifixion and His shedding of Blood for us!

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've already answered that in post# 5.

Paul tells us to examine ourselves and then take of that bread and drink of that cup.

The Lord's Supper is time for one to check up on the object of their faith (Christ).

Not just anything about Christ, but His crucifixion and His shedding of Blood for us!

Right... except you didn't actually answer my question back there.
Where did Paul say it was about anything other that gluttony and drunkenness?
Chapter and Verse.
It should be the simplest thing to just plunk down a verse explains where Paul says what you say.
Should be easy... but you haven't done it in... lets see post #5-#33. A lot of posts.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
2 Cor. 13:5-6
"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates."

Paul is telling us to check up on our faith from time to time. Is your faith in Christ and His finished work, in His death, burial, and resurrection for you?

Good Thread...

Notice your verse says...>"THE faith". not a faith.
So its very specific.

Reader....Its interesting to note also, that JUDE, this little Epistle, is the one solid Pauline Theology Epistle that correlates with Paul's "Gospel" the best, tho some of Peter is excellent.

Jude writes...."contend for THE faith", and Paul writes= prove that you are to be in THE Faith.

What is THE Faith?

Well, The PROOF of THE faith is to be "Born again" down here and "confirmed into the image of Christ", up there, once we are up there.

How can you tell if a born again believer is in THE Faith and not in a broken faith. ?

Just one thing proves they are in THE... faith..
Its not their works.
Its not their ability to talk about theology and commandment keeping and water baptism and Mary.

Its this...... = Do you believe that God keeps you saved through Christ,......or not. ???

If you say..."no, Salvation can be lost"< the you are not in "THE" Faith.. You are in the FLESH and will have a LIST of do's and don't do's that you will teach, is how you keep from going to hell as long as you do your LIST.
= Your LIST has become YOUR SAVIOR and Jesus is no longer your Faith.

You will sound like this...>"yes, i know that Jesus saves, but you have to now keep the commandments, and try to be like Christ and do some enduring, and dont forget that water and that Law"....
= LEGALISM
= SELF Saving

Whereas....If you are in THE Faith, then you will be found giving ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL credit to Christ and God and THE Cross, for the forgiveness of all your sin, and have given you eternal life and eternal security that is found by being born again "ONE WITH GOD", "made Righteous", "IN Christ".
You will know that God who started your Salvation in you, (the new birth) will HIMSELF be faithful to complete what HE Started.

Philippians 1:6

Reactions: Charlie24

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right... except you didn't actually answer my question back there.
Where did Paul say it was about anything other that gluttony and drunkenness?
Chapter and Verse.
It should be the simplest thing to just plunk down a verse explains where Paul says what you say.
Should be easy... but you haven't done it in... lets see post #5-#33. A lot of posts.

I'm not going to explain it a 4th time, David. If you can't see that Paul explains the Lord's Supper as the time to focus on the faith, the specific thought of the crucifixion and shed blood of Christ, then you are refusing to see it.

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm not going to explain it a 4th time, David. If you can't see that Paul explains the Lord's Supper as the time to focus on the faith, the specific thought of the crucifixion and shed blood of Christ, then you are refusing to see it.

Simple... Chapter and Verse... you could have included that in your post... but you didn't.
You may be getting it right... or maybe not... context is important. So why are you avoiding putting the actual references in your posts?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simple... Chapter and Verse... you could have included that in your post... but you didn't.
You may be getting it right... or maybe not... context is important. So why are you avoiding putting the actual references in your posts?

OK, you're right! I'll spend some more time studying this to get it right.

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
OK, you're right! I'll spend some more time studying this to get it right.

All I ask is that people back up their statements with references.
That is the total extent of all these questions... Well unless you actually got it wrong. I don't think you got it all wrong... but proofs needed.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All I ask is that people back up their statements with references.
That is the total extent of all these questions... Well unless you actually got it wrong. I don't think you got it all wrong... but proofs needed.

I'll work toward being more accurate in the future.

Reactions: David Boyer