Excuses!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen2 ..... I see it a bit different .... rather than the word "excuses" .... it is more like the word "justification" describes it best.

If people do something wrong or inappropriate they are always quick to respond with reasons to justify what they did.

eg; I was late for work because this stinking company does not pay me enough to buy a brand new Camaro.

eg: I robbed the liquor store because my great great grandfather was a slave and I'm not over the trauma yet.

eg:I made a million dollars last year without paying taxes because there is a legal way for me to bank offshore.

Modern society tends to spend most of its time coming up with new way to justify actions that at one time were seen as wrong or criminal.

Good point Arnie.

I agree that the word justification is a better descriptor.

Just speculation, but I wonder if this negative human behavior is compounded by the fear that if we accept responsibility for one event, it opens the door for more blame to be piled on to us for unrelated situations......

I see this happening all the time - especially in government and corporate level jobs. The hot potato is past around until one rube is found who will take responsibility for it and the whole sack of potatoes that soon follows.

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
Excuses are to the human condition as drinking is to an alcoholic - nothing shocking about it. It is the baseline behavior of our Fallen condition - taking responsibility and correcting negative behavior is shocking and often rare. Instead of shaming people for making excuses, I think we are called to love and accept them for who they are, and work on creating enough trust for them to realize that they no longer need to offer excuses.

I guess I am more interested in finding out what causes an event to happen than assigning blame. When 911 happened - I noticed how much time the media spent trying to assign blame, rather than report the events that were unfolding.

Perhaps this is the difference between many scientists and many Christians - science is interested in studying cause and effect - I think some Christians who are opposed to scientific observations cannot get past their own ideas of morality (God created the Earth: RIGHT / Evolution: WRONG) to even consider the validity of the observations.

Counselors get the same criticism by some Christians - the charge against counselors is that they refuse to assign blame and therefore, try to help their clients relieve their guilt without repenting of their sin. Yet, counseling has never claimed to be about assigning blame, guilt, or repenting from sin because none of this helps people with emotional distress get better. Instead, it is about helping a person find the cause of negative emotions and teaching them skills to make positive changes in their thoughts, emotions and actions. In reality, the only permanent changes people will end up making are changes they have discovered on their own.

I can guarantee that the ministry I work with would have no clients if we were heavy handed about assigning blame and shaming the kids that receive are services - instead we reach out to the kids and minister through relationships - we believe that Christ's unconditional love is what makes a difference in people's lives. It is only when people are valued and loved that they are able to love themselves and others, and eventually become productive, whole and healthy adults.

Let's try to keep this within the context and reasoning of the Bible and not divert to humanistic logic or rational. The difference between sinners and Christians is that we are saved by grace. Our context has to be within that and the Bible.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's try to keep this within the context and reasoning of the Bible and not divert to humanistic logic or rational. The difference between sinners and Christians is that we are saved by grace. Our context has to be within that and the Bible.

Is this point all that matters? Seems to me, sanctification and perfection through redemption by grace are just as important - they take a life time. Justification is the beginning, not the ending of our walk with Christ. I used to be surprised when so many Christians focused exclusively on getting people saved, rather than walking with them during their life time transformation through sanctification into full citizens of Heaven; now I am resigned.

Jesus focused on walking with Him daily - yet, many seem to be satisfied with drive-by alter calls and substituting relationships with doctrine. Four spiritual law pamphlets alone are not going to bring people to Christ - maybe that is why Jesus chose real people to spread the good news instead.

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
Is this point all that matters? Seems to me, sanctification and perfection through redemption by grace are just as important - they take a life time. Justification is the beginning, not the ending of our walk with Christ. I used to be surprised when so many Christians focused exclusively on getting people saved, rather than walking with them during their life time transformation through sanctification into full citizens of Heaven; now I am resigned.

Jesus focused on walking with Him daily - yet, many seem to be satisfied with drive-by alter calls and substituting relationships with doctrine. Four spiritual law pamphlets alone are not going to bring people to Christ - maybe that is why Jesus chose real people to spread the good news instead.

Yes aspen2, but not the point I was trying to make. Walking becomes our focus after salvation.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I think that Stan was perhaps outlining both the beginning and the walk. Yes....as humans we're all the same...all sinful etc. We don't deserve God's grace any more that any other, certainly not because we've done something good! So as God has calls us, the only difference between us is that grace. But more....even as we move forward on that walk of sanctification....the only real difference between us is still that grace. We are told in scripture...and this is addressing us believers....that on our own we are incapable of achieving good, of striving for it and succeeding in it. And we are also told that Christ is both author and perfecter of our faith. While we must be a part of our sanctification, cooperating with the Spirit, mostly that just means keeping Jesus dead centre in our view. If our eyes are always on Christ then we are not really fighting against the Spirit working within us to 'perfect' our faith. The big idea being that ALL the glory goes to God...he calls us, he saves us and he grows us....it's all him, and none us. That's why even after 50 years of "sanctification"...of our Christian walk....it's still only grace that separates us from non-believers. How good is our God?!