Exercising the Spiritual muscle and growing stronger in Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@CharismaticLady @Pearl
Sorry to assume it was the audible voice you heard haha, as I said though only once from memory for me, I have heard it that way, I do believe he can speak this way if He is living inside you though, we gotta remember the Father in Heaven, I don't think we can limit God in the ways God can speak to us, there are many ways he can communicate.
-----------

He has also used other ways to communicating to me, there is the peace of God that led me to buy a block of land and 2 cars, the peace of God filled me in all 3 of those situations, even filling my legs with peace, it's a peace like no other.
I agree that God uses many different ways to 'speak' to us. As well as directly into our spirits (the inner voice) he will speak to us through other people, things in nature, dreams etc. He is not limited in any way.

Reactions: Josho

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is why I dislike 'teaching' on 'how to pray'. Being taught the various ways people say you should pray can be inhibiting. And I used to feel inadequate listening to the long and eloquent prayers of some church members. Now I just pray as I'm led.

I agree. I've written out my testimonies and your post reminded me of this one I will paste here. Enjoy.

A LESSON IN PRAYER

I’ll never forget one of my first lessons in prayer. It was 1979 and I had only been saved and baptized with the Spirit for a couple years, and was still just a baby Christian when it came to living and walking in the Spirit.

I had heard many prayers spoken during my life as a Christian. Some beautiful, long and melodic, with many addresses to the Father interjected into every sentence. Others were booming, forceful and authoritative, with countless scriptures flawlessly quoted. I remember my reaction to these prayers. I was intimidated. So much so, I hated to pray my modest prayers in public. I was certain my very simple prayers were not being heard. I was equally certain that the authoritative prayers of veteran Christians, and even my friend’s beautiful prayers were skyrocketing their way to heaven and bombarding the throne room of God, cutting through to the head of the line, leaving mine on the ceiling where they hovered like ghosts.

I was working for a company selling integrated circuits via the telephone. Five other girls and I were crammed into a small room with wall-to-wall desks. We would call companies like Xerox and ask what part numbers they were short of on their production lines. One little part, if missing, could shut down a whole production line, causing the loss of thousands of dollars in man-hours. Some orders were for as much as 10,000 pieces. Scarce parts that would normally cost 80 cents per part could be sold for $12.95 a piece! Companies agreed to pay these prices rather than see their production lines go down. If you received the orders, your monthly commissions could be in the thousands.

However, one of the girls, Lorraine, was very depressed, shy and quiet. She spoke to no one at work. Each month she would make her $1,000 draw and seldom more. Her depression showed in her face and voice, thus, affecting her sales. It became a vicious cycle. To top it all off, she and her husband were going to have a baby. Instead of a joyous occasion to be looking forward to, it seemed to be just another financial pressure.

One day after work as I was pulling out of the parking lot, I saw Lorraine leaving the building. She was walking slowly as a defeated warrior in the battle of life, with her head down and her shoulders slumped. My heart suddenly swelled up with the love of Christ as I watched her, seeing her as if for the very first time.

Quietly, almost tearfully, I whispered this long theological prayer . . . “Oh Lord, bless her.”

That night I got distracted and thought no more about it (spiritual pious giant that I was). Nor did I think of her the next morning as I got ready for work. But as I was pulling out of my driveway, I heard God’s voice within me interrupt my thoughts.

“Lorraine will have the biggest sale she has ever had today.”

Surprised by the voice (as I always am to this day when He speaks to me) I exclaimed, “Oh my . . . thank you, Lord!”

I couldn’t wait to get to work to tell Lorraine. It would be the first time I had ever spoken to her, I’m ashamed to say.

I found her in the coffee room before our work day began. “Lorraine, today you are going to have the biggest sale you have ever had!”

She just grunted.

During the morning, periodically, I would ask her if she got her big sale yet.

“No,” she would quietly reply as she dialed another phone number.

“Well, don’t worry, I know you will,” I said.

As the day drew on I started getting busy, and I forgot about Lorraine. Four o’clock came and it was time to get ready to leave. Then I saw Lorraine leaving, and I remembered the promise.

“Lorraine, well, did you get it?”

“Uh huh,” Lorraine replied with as much enthusiasm as a wet noodle.

“Lorraine! Why didn’t you tell me?” I excitedly questioned.

She just shrugged her shoulders. Lorraine had gotten a $30,000 sale, by far the largest sale she ever had before or since. At 2% of the gross, she made $600 on that one sale.

One young Jewish woman in the last desk behind us who had heard my conversations with Lorraine during the day just had to ask, “Linda, how did you know?”

I told her the truth. “God told me this morning, and when He tells you something, you can believe it.”

Looking back, I seemed to be the only one really affected by the prophecy. My trust in God and His unbiased love grew that day. Also increased was my ability to determine His “voice.” It is not external, audible and heard with my ears. Rather it is internal, bubbling up from within the depths of me, and heard with my spirit. After all, the Holy Spirit lives within those filled with His Spirit.

I hope that Lorraine will someday look back and realize God loves her and had favor on her that day, but while I knew her, Lorraine’s personality and demeanor never changed, and the Jewish young woman, ironically, only scoffed at the mention of God. She is one of millions who believe you can talk to God, but if He answers you, you must be nuts.

Some go so far as to say, a miraculous answer to prayer is the devil’s work! Why? Pathetically, because those people, who are Christians, themselves, erroneously believe we can pray to God, but the only way He answers us in through the Bible. It is as if, once the books of the Bible were compiled, God’s work was done and He took off to Bermuda!

The Bible is not, itself, an idol to be worshiped, but His breathing Word, a powerful tool to help us know about, and have an interactive relationship with the living God, Himself! It is not just a history book of an unrefined early church, which somehow does not apply to the very same church today, no matter how sophisticated we think we have become.

As for my simple prayer, I learned that God is not swayed by anything other than the true sincerity of our hearts. He’s not interested in chants, formulas, or our “many words.” Only a tender heart that longs to, and, more importantly, does, abide with Him.

I have walked with the Lord for many years now. By trial and error I have learned His will, and have become more and more determined to accept His will over my own. I have shed many tears. Tears of joy, as well as sorrow. So, in my case, I have found that my prayers are usually spoken to express my tears, not impress my peers.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Great testimony.

So much so, I hated to pray my modest prayers in public. I was certain my very simple prayers were not being heard. I was equally certain that the authoritative prayers of veteran Christians, and even my friend’s beautiful prayers were skyrocketing their way to heaven and bombarding the throne room of God, cutting through to the head of the line, leaving mine on the ceiling where they hovered like ghosts.

My own experience exactly as I listened to people praying and telling God what he already knew and suggesting ways he could answer the prayer.

Looking back, I seemed to be the only one really affected by the prophecy. My trust in God and His unbiased love grew that day. Also increased was my ability to determine His “voice.” It is not external, audible and heard with my ears. Rather it is internal, bubbling up from within the depths of me, and heard with my spirit. After all, the Holy Spirit lives within those filled with His Spirit.

Our vicar used to host after service meetings in the vicarage for those who wanted more than the limitations of the church service could offer. We were all hungry and thirsty for more of God and one evening a visiting preacher went round the room lay hands on our heads and praying for us to be filled with the Holy Spirit. When he touched me he almost jumped back and said, 'Wow this one is bubbling'. I didn't really feel anything much right then but shortly after as I worked in my kitchen I just began to sing in tongues. And the song went on for quite some time repeating and repeating. And then quite naturally I began to sing the words in English, straight off, just as if I'd known this song for years. I wrote down the words and years later came to understand that it was a prophecy for my life. One line says, 'You will no longer be a grain of sand'. And one morning as I was praying a few years ago God spoke directly into my spirit and said, 'I have made you into a pearl'. Now in all the years of wonder what that line had meant I had never considered it meant I would become a pearl. Awesome moment.

As for my simple prayer, I learned that God is not swayed by anything other than the true sincerity of our hearts. He’s not interested in chants, formulas, or our “many words.” Only a tender heart that longs to, and, more importantly, does, abide with Him.

I so agree with you. And also have experienced a similar attitude from people who I have prayed for. They do not acknowledge that the resulting answer to their problem was anything to do with God. And carry on in their unbelief.

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Waiting on the Lord' is my favorite..
Isaiah 40:31
- Especially during the time of 'challenges, spiritual breakthrough..etc.'
---
Helpful books..
- 'Waiting on God'
Andrew Murray
- 'Waiting on God: Spending Time in His Presence, Silence & Expectation'
Michael Van Vlymen ( mentioned on post #13 )

Blessings,
More detail / clarity on my previous post..
--
I wrote, "Waiting on the Lord is my favorite."
- Meaning.. my favorite 'Spiritual Discipline / Exercise.'
- It helps me to refocus 'priority, task..etc.'
- Especially, during 'the time of transition' on my spiritual journey.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm, when we read the Old Testament carefully there is a lot of stuff we can see Jesus in or stuff that we can relate Jesus too. Whether it's Creation, whether it's Moses striking the rock and water coming out, whether it's the Red Sea being parted (Zach Williams has a fantastic verse about this in the song "No Longer Slaves"), whether it's the tabernacle, we can also see Jesus heaps in the book of Psalms.
There's a line in another song I love . . . "I've been waiting at the water's edge, holding steadfast to your promises, even though I not there yet, I trust in you!" (I know - Jesus Culture)

Much love!