Explanation sought of a verse from the Gospel:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth_Teller

May 9, 2008
"He said to them, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old" - Matthew 13:52.

"teacher of the law" - here, are those spoken of who have converted to Jesus Christ´s teaching?

"the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old" - what does this parable mean? Secondly, is it a parable meant in a positive sense or negative?

Answers are much appreciated!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
"Teachers of the law" is referring to Old Testament religious Jews .... which was the "correct" religion at the time (Jesus had just arrived .... and the New Testament (new covenant) was just beginning)

These Old Testament Jews had a storehouse of treasures (religious knowledge) .... and with the arrival of Jesus .... could now add "New" treasures (new teachings brought by Jesus)

"teacher of the law" - here, are those spoken of who have converted to Jesus Christ´s teaching?
Yes ... most likely they were .... remember that all the apostles were Jews who were picked by Jesus to spread the Gospel and in a sense were new converts.

"the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old" - what does this parable mean? Secondly, is it a parable meant in a positive sense or negative?

Should be taken as positive .... in the sense that The New Testament is the fulfillment of The Old Testament .... overall I think that is what Jesus is trying to convey by describing Old treasures and New treasures.

ps: I should also add that the Book of Matthew was written to a Jewish audience ... and we have to keep that context in mind as we read it .... not everything would apply to (us) Gentile Christians ..... Paul focuses more on teachings for (us) Gentiles

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Truth_Teller,

Young's Literal Translation renders the verse this way:

And he said to them, `Because of this every scribe having been discipled in regard to the reign of the heavens, is like to a man, a householder, who doth bring forth out of his treasure things new and old.'

In the Orthodox Jewish Bible, (youversion.com) and the Hebrew phrase for 'householder' means 'Master of the house'.

It brings to mind these verses at the beginning of Hebrews 3:

1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; 2 Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses [was faithful] in all his house.

3 For this [man] was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house. 4 For every house is builded by some [man]; but he that built all things [is] God. 5 And Moses verily [was] faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; 6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

John 3:10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you [of] heavenly things?

The way I'm adding this all together is, Jesus was indicating that to become a 'Master', the scribe - the disciple (not teacher) - of the kingdom of heaven - must be fully conversant with the new revelation (the gospel of Jesus Christ) as well as the preceding one (the Old Covenant).

This understanding (of both) is his 'treasure'. Some of it is old treasure. Some of it is new treasure. Depending on the need of the moment, he can call upon this 'treasure' to sustain him - and those entrusted to him - to build them up in the knowledge of God and His faithfulness. (I say His faithfulness, because this is proven by the coming of the Messiah in answer to so many prophesies, and then by His faithful ministry in obedience to His Father. This knowledge is treasure, too.)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"He said to them, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old" - Matthew 13:52.

We do teach the law....but we teach to DO the law according to the Spirit.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
The way I'm adding this all together is, Jesus was indicating that to become a 'Master', the scribe - the disciple (not teacher) - of the kingdom of heaven - must be fully conversant with the new revelation (the gospel of Jesus Christ) as well as the preceding one (the Old Covenant).

You have described it perfectly in just one sentence .
Thank you.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

I concur with dragonfly's interpretation.

Matt 13:51-53
51 Jesus saith unto them, "Have ye understood all these things?" They say unto Him, "Yea, Lord."
52 Then said He unto them, "Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old."
53 And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these parables, he departed thence.
(KJV)

The "scribe" usage is about discipleship, not of the scribes and Pharisees that wanted to kill Him. He had just finished revealing to His disciples in private, the tares parable, and a parable about the treasure in the field (God's Word in the world), and several others. The treasure is both the Old and New Testament Scripture.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
???? When Jesus was speaking ????

Yes, when Jesus was proclaiming The Gospel right then, which would be recorded by His witnesses. The coming of the New Covenant was first mentioned in the Old Testament Books ya know, even hinted at all the way back in Genesis involving God's Plan of Salvation. Heck, per Paul one could even go back to before the foundation of the world with this idea.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA

The "old" treasure is not rendered valuless since it points to the "new" treasure being Christ Jesus. The old points to the new and the new is fulfillment of the old.

Sr.Brandon

Jun 25, 2012
I suggest you all look at Paul's teachings. He was a teacher of the law, an Israelite tutored by the great Gamaliel, who was converted by Yehushua to be an apostle.
When we view his teachings, we see how out of the old and new treasures are found. Paul is a fulfillment of this very parable. Possibly one of many.