Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Must have been 30 years ago or so.
@Ziggy When you had it done, it was probably less widespread for women to do, but now it's very widespread. I saw this from the Bible Belt:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

I reckon that since yours dates from 30 years ago, you could almost be regarded as one of the brave, female pioneers, right? :)

Anyway, a big opportunity seems to have been opened up now for faith based designs, now that it's so widespread to do.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I became a Born Again Christian when I was around 18.
Maybe about 7-8 years later is when I got the tattoo.
@Ziggy This was some decades ago, right?

I think these days it's increasingly usual to get the first tattoo at around 18.

What blessing that you became a Christian at a young age! :)

Reactions: Ziggy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well, let me say that I recently encountered and opened a tremendous opportunity of witnessing to one of our CNAs= certified nurse assistants, concerning her completed "sleeve tat" = total arm tattoo. ...Boy-howdy did she ever respond to this and asked more of true Christianity. I shared it was not religious practices, but having your heart open in a one on one relationship in love and fulfillment of the soul. We parted after I explained Christ's love for her personally.

This seemed to make all the difference to her somehow and she told me she would continue seeking.
@BeauJangles Keep praying! :) after that great testimony opportunity...

Reactions: BeauJangles

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy This was some decades ago, right?

I think these days it's increasingly usual to get the first tattoo at around 18.

What blessing that you became a Christian at a young age! :)
I remember we had a record 45 I think.. 45 lol
anywho.. my dad would play it on Sunday mornings.

I love music.
My Dad was Country and My Mom she liked Piano like Liberace.
I never forgot the lyrics.
Sometimes a mustard seed is all that's needed.
When life puts you on different paths, every now and then you come across that little plant, jogs your memory.
Further down you run into that bush. And those lyrics just keep playing in your head.
A little later you find a tree where the seed was planted.
And you finally realize it was always destined to be.
I'm not at the end of my journey, I still have a lot to learn.
And even though I may stray from the path from time to time,
That which was planted many years ago, still remains faithful and true.
:)

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Ziggy

Thanks for your various contributions to the thread! Appreciated...

I would definitely not go as far as to say that all Christians ought to get faith based tattoos. But it's undeniable that many do get them. So many Christians would at any rate likely conclude that enduring 30-45 minutes of 'Oh! ouch!' at a clean and regularly inspected parlor for a Scripture/faith-based design is a small price to pay for a really effective witnessing tool.

BeauJangles

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would definitely not go as far as to say that all Christians ought to get faith based tattoos. But it's undeniable that many do get them. So many Christians would at any rate likely conclude that enduring 30-45 minutes of 'Oh! ouch!' at a clean and regularly inspected parlor for a Scripture/faith-based design is a small price to pay for a really effective witnessing tool.

While this is an interesting idea, I'd have to take a quote from an old Carly Simon song, "I haven't got time for the pain." It's not only a painful process, you have to realize this is a permanent piece of artwork. You have the reality of risking something else which is this, "Buyer's Remorse". I've known countless individuals who went for body art = tattoos and seriously regretted ever marking up their physique in such a manner.

Some tattoo artists are excellent and the work is very expensive. If you want a tattoo you need to select wisely, because you'll have it for the rest of your life. Some employers frown on them and immediately cancel your qualifications for the job. Consider what you place on your body. Consider what people may think of you when they see them and know you are being scrutized for having that on you. Some can be hidden with clothing and that's something to consider as well.

Tattoo "sleeves" are hard to hide. So are any illustrations on the neck, face, and hands. Use wisdom. Just a note here for consideration. The Jews were all tattooed during WWII when the death camps were established. They ID'd them, but the star of David patches they were made to wear on their clothing meant differently to some over others. All these tactics were meant as a mark or symbol of shame and ridicule. The chosen ones were beaten, raped, and tortured.

After the war, many held to the tattoo IDs as a remembrance of the pain, suffering, death, and sorrow. They had a saying, "Forgive, but do not forget." They continued to remember, but no longer in shame anymore. We are not under Levitical law forbidding us not to mark ourselves. This is something I continue to hold fast as a Gentile taking a Messianic viewpoint into my faith and to Christianity.
I was not born a Jew, but bear the phyical sign of Judiasm.

I also do not partake in unkosher foods because of obvious health concerns. Is this a little unusual to you? Perhaps. But this is my faith in Christ Jesus, the Messiah. His name in Hebrew is, Yoshuah H'Massiach. I am also neither against the celbratory holidays honoring His birth or death and resurrection - Christmas and Easter. These were wonderful times during childhood and I see no wrong in them. I have no family now so they aren't as significant.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Tattoo "sleeves" are hard to hide.
@BeauJangles Thanks for your various comments. Hebrews 7 reminds us that the New Testament believer is not under the law, which was changed.

It used to be that ppl who got tattoo sleeves were men, and although a lot of women now have been getting tattoos for years, yet at first they seemed to get smaller ones; but lately more women seem to have felt the confidence to get tattoo sleeves.

(All this only broadens the scope and potential for faith based tattoo designs.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No he didn’t, but my grandfather had every one of these.
@Waiting on him With the amount of women who have been using tattoo parlors in recent years, eventually not a few grandmothers also will have lots of inkings, because unlike in your grandfather's time it has now without question become regarded as a very womanly thing to do.

(It also increases the scope greatly for faith based tattoo designs.)

Reactions: Waiting on him

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy It's not unusual for ppl to go back to the parlor every few years and have a bit of extra ink injected because of fading.

Unlike initial sessions, such subsequent visits wouldn't necessarily take much time - or money - to do.
That's ok.
I guess at one point in my life it was "cool"
And as I'm getting older it's fading with me
and that's alright with me.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That's ok.
I guess at one point in my life it was "cool"
And as I'm getting older it's fading with me
and that's alright with me.
@Ziggy You must know best, anyway...

I saw this video of tattoo close up in slow motion and rather liked the way the video was put together (so what do you think?)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy You must know best, anyway...

I saw this video of tattoo close up in slow motion and rather liked the way the video was put together (so what do you think?)

I spent a good many years in the printing industry.
I worked in the finishing dept. also called a bindery.
When it got slow I would help in pre-press where you would take camera images and put them on film.
Then the film would be burned onto metal plates.
Different colors had different burns. Black Magenta Yellow and Cyan.
Then the plates were run on presses. I used to help mix the ink for different colors.
That was one messy job.
From the press it would go to the bindery for cutting, folding, bookbinding, shrinkwrapping, drilling...
I ran all the machinery. I loved my job.
4 color process printing is almost a thing of the past since digital came along.
I was in charge of shipping and receiving too, so I got to see the raw material come in and the finished product go out.
And when your part of the process you take a lot of pride in the work you do.

I watched the video. I enjoyed watching the process from design to finish.
Brought back a lot of memories :)
Hugs

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I spent a good many years in the printing industry.
I worked in the finishing dept. also called a bindery.
When it got slow I would help in pre-press where you would take camera images and put them on film.
Then the film would be burned onto metal plates.
Different colors had different burns. Black Magenta Yellow and Cyan.
Then the plates were run on presses. I used to help mix the ink for different colors.
That was one messy job.
From the press it would go to the bindery for cutting, folding, bookbinding, shrinkwrapping, drilling...
I ran all the machinery. I loved my job.
4 color process printing is almost a thing of the past since digital came along.
I was in charge of shipping and receiving too, so I got to see the raw material come in and the finished product go out.
And when your part of the process you take a lot of pride in the work you do.

I watched the video. I enjoyed watching the process from design to finish.
Brought back a lot of memories :)
Hugs
@Ziggy

So, some good photography publishing memories... :)

(And just maybe some good tattoo memories also?)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have a tattoo
@Ziggy

I like FHII's post; what he says kind of rings true and makes sense:

I got my first and only tattoo when I was 25. I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. Have I thought about getting more tattooed? Sure. But I don't feel as compelled as I did. How about a Christian themed tattoo? Yea... Thought about it and have a great idea for one. But its not going to increase my spirituality. .. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

It's what so many ppl do; it can be an effective way of expressing a faith based idea; whether or not ppl have it done or not on their own responsibility does not bear much relation to what anyone else thinks.

It can be a good subject for a thread discussion, anyway.

Reactions: Ziggy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I've seen some gorgeous tats on TV, but never on a live person. The true artists are few and far between.
@CharismaticLady It can take some courage sometimes to entrust one's skin canvas to a good tattooist in the hope and expectation that the quality will turn out to be truly fine.

It seems that for a lot of 18-year olds there is certainly a lot of such trust about. Because it's what they do at 18.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PS: @Michiah-Imla Thanks a lot for your vote! so this has been your own experience at least once also?

Actually I erred in my first vote (changed it to —-> sounds like a good idea). I have spoken to at least one person with faith based tattoos, but not because of the tattoo (that was incidental). I have seen many more but never engaged in conversation with them. Interesting topic though.

I have a negative take on tattoos due to Leviticus 19:28.