Faith vs. presumption.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Phl 1:6, Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Rom 11:20, Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
Rom 11:21, For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
Rom 11:22, Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

Heb 11:29, By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.

If there is anything that we can learn from these three passages it is that there is a difference between faith and presumption.

One is a confidence in the Lord that He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.

The other has to do with being highminded and not considering that the Lord reserves the right to be severe with you and that He may even cut you off if you don't continue in His goodness.

The Israelites passed through the Red sea as by dry land by faith--confidence in God.

The Egyptians thought that because the Israelites did it, they could too...and they attempted to go through the Red sea but ended up being drowned. They did not have faith but presumption...and as the result they could not do what the Israelites did by faith; although they tried.

We can enter in to the kingdom of heaven through faith in Jesus Christ...which has to do with confidence in the Lord that He is able to save you from your sins and to redeem you from all iniquity (Matthew 1:21, Titus 2:14).

But those who are presumptuous about their faith...thinking that they will enter into heaven because of a professed belief without any real change of life that comes as the result...will find that they did not enter into the kingdom of heaven on the dead faith that they thought would save them...what they had was not faith but presumption.

Last edited:
Reactions: quietthinker

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One is a confidence in the Lord that He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.
How confident are you about this? Will He in fact complete His good work in you?

Much love!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How confident are you about this? Will He in fact complete His good work in you?

Much love!
I am still in the process of giving diligence in making my calling and election sure.

I certainly don't want to be highminded about the whole issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am still in the process of giving diligence in making my calling and election sure.

I certainly don't want to be highminded about the whole issue.
Is that to say you don't have confidence in Jesus Christ to complete the work He began in you?

I'm asking this for a reason.

Highmindedness is something we think about ourselves, as if we were doing something. I'm speaking purely about Christ.

Do you have confidence that He will do exactly what He said He would? To complete His good work in you? Because you can, according to the Scriptures.

Much love!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will not presume to think that if I have an attitude of flippancy as concerning the conviction of the Holy Ghost, that He will necessarily bring me into the kingdom with that kind of attitude.

I believe that if anyone has a contrite heart, that they can have confidence that He who began a good work in them will perform it unto the day of Jesus Christ.

In my own personal life, I have been unsuccessful in graduating from Romans 7:14-25 into Romans 8; and I attribute this to having to be because I must be being flippant in my attitude towards the Lord's requirement of holiness. I have only been giving lip service to the idea that I must repent and give my heart to Christ; my need is to come before Him with a humble and contrite heart and really get on my knees and rend my heart and not my garments.

This is something that I am finding difficulty in doing. Because I have done all the outward show of crying out to God for deliverance and yet there is no victory.

I do believe that He has started a good work in me; but there is doubt in my own mind as to whether He is really going to finish it because there is so much that I am finding still needs to be corrected in my life.

I do not want to be highminded or flippant about thinking that if I do not respond to the Holy Spirit on the proper terms, that He is still going to finish the work in me that He started.

I think that that is something that is dependent on faith rather than the presumption of thinking that because I say that I believe in Jesus Christ, God is necessarily obligated to finish the work that He started in me.

I believe that He reserves the right to cut me off if I don't continue in his goodness (Romans 11:20-22).

To therefore have an unfounded confidence in the idea that He has to redeem me even if I walk in utter rebellion against Him seems to me to be presumption rather than faith.

Reactions: amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
have an attitude of flippancy
I'm not talking about being flippant.

I'm talking about having a rock solid confidence that He Who began a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.

I'm talking about having no - zero - none - no reliance on myself, or anything I can or can't do, and having sole reliance in Jesus Christ.

This is something that I am finding difficulty in doing. Because I have done all the outward show of crying out to God for deliverance and yet there is no victory.

Failure is ALWAYS because we are "trying" in our flesh. Always. Because what we do in the Spirit is righteousness. Always.

Reliance on myself has always produced failure and a life lived according to the flesh. Reliance on Jesus has always resulted in growth in love and joy and self-control, and so on.

God made promises to you. To promise someone is to commit yourself to them. God is not a liar, therefore, God WILL keep His promises, including to complete the good work He started in you, continuously, until that final day. That He promised means He IS in fact obligated.

Much love!

Reactions: ChristisGod

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This faith is not highminded, and is not flippant, it's trusting Jesus as a helpless little child, clinging to Him for rescue from all things that threaten.

Much love!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not talking about being flippant.

I'm talking about having a rock solid confidence that He Who began a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.

I'm talking about having no - zero - none - no reliance on myself, or anything I can or can't do, and having sole reliance in Jesus Christ.

Failure is ALWAYS because we are "trying" in our flesh. Always. Because what we do in the Spirit is righteousness. Always.

Reliance on myself has always produced failure and a life lived according to the flesh. Reliance on Jesus has always resulted in growth in love and joy and self-control, and so on.

God made promises to you. To promise someone is to commit yourself to them. God is not a liar, therefore, God WILL keep His promises, including to complete the good work He started in you, continuously, until that final day. That He promised means He IS in fact obligated.

Much love!

This faith is not highminded, and is not flippant, it's trusting Jesus as a helpless little child, clinging to Him for rescue from all things that threaten.

Much love!

I like that.

Thank you.

Reactions: marks