Faith without works is dead

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It isn't about what man does for God (Christ). It is all about what Christ did for man. But you would rather have faith in what you do instead of what God has already done.

Both are wrong. It is what Jesus does IN a man that saves Him.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
What must you do to gain eternal life ?
Jesus said, do you think i am giving you authority ? i am giving you servitude.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010

-- Actually, scripture shows God called them to serve, but He gave them authority.

"And he called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases," - Luke 9:1

"Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you." - Luke 10:19

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
The works are the maraculous works of the power of the Spirit of God. Those who do those works are those who believe and have faith in God. Faith without the works of the Spirit of God is not faith at all. Dead faith as spoken of in the book of James is a cloak for the wicked wolves to fleece God's sheep. Those who understand and have asked God for His true Spirit will do great exploits and will bring the gospel of those forigners to an end real soon.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Guilt is not the ideal motivator.....just saying

The devil has another strategy. He wants us to lose our confidence by believing his lies that our performance is connected with salvation. And with a compromised level of assurance, people are rendered less effective, as they fail to come boldly to the throne of grace to find grace to help in time of need. It is false doctrine and deception that renders one ineffective or rather, less effective (very few, if any, are completely ineffective in Christ).
We are responders. We love Him because He first loved us. It is our perception of His love towards us that the enemy would interfere with.

Christ taught the same idea James did. It's about the those who are lukewarm, and those who have lost their saltiness.

If we are truly in Christ Jesus by Faith, then we are going to have works to show it. Simple as that.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
-- Actually, scripture shows God called them to serve, but He gave them authority.

"And he called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases," - Luke 9:1

"Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you." - Luke 10:19
Sure, but under him, is there authority as they do not have any other. So it's servitude for all. as anything other would be from Satan.
Is that so ?

Sure, but under him, is there authority as they do not have any other. So it's servitude for all. as anything other would be from Satan.
Is that so ?
You know the story of the yoke ?

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
It is the Spirit of God that saves and does the works of God. They are inseparable.

1 Corinthians 2
4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

John 10
25 Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father's name, they bear witness of Me.

John 10
37 If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me;

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
It is the Spirit of God that saves and does the works of God. They are inseparable.

1 Corinthians 2
4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

John 10
25 Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father's name, they bear witness of Me.

John 10
37 If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me;
Spot on !

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA

Galatians 4:4-7
4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law,
5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.
6 And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, "Abba, Father!"
7 Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
NKJV

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Christ taught the same idea James did. It's about the those who are lukewarm, and those who have lost their saltiness.

If we are truly in Christ Jesus by Faith, then we are going to have works to show it. Simple as that.
Jesus spoke to the lukewarm church in Rev.3 and gave them advice that would cure their lukewarmness. He said.." behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone who hears My voice and opens the door, I will come into him and sup with him and he with Me. They were neither hot nor cold. They had a belief in Jesus but did not have Jesus.

Jesus said "abide in Me and you will bear fruit". This is about fruit. Many will say to HIm.."did we not do this, that, or the other thing in your name? (paraphrased). His answer..." I never knew you". It starts with a relationship (John17:3), an intimate knowing of the almighty Creator.
Not everyone has the same role, purpose, or position in His body. The fruit we bear will not necessarily be cookie cutter. But our works will be a demonstration of His life and nature within us. They are seen as the fruit of the spirit. "Against such there is no law"

What is important to Jesus? " I was hungry and you gave Me food. I was thirsty and you gave Me drink. I was a stranger and you took Me in. I was naked and you clothed Me. I was sick and you visited Me. I was in prison and you came to Me. (Math25:35,36).

For anyone to whom it concerns, this is not about showing off one's authority or power. This is about loving one another. This is about imparting life into another's soul; washing another's feet; laying down one's life for another. It doesn't have to be or look glamerous or spectacular, or even miraculous. It doesn't even need to be seen or known publically.

seekandfind

Jun 21, 2012
Jesus spoke to the lukewarm church in Rev.3 and gave them advice that would cure their lukewarmness. He said.." behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone who hears My voice and opens the door, I will come into him and sup with him and he with Me. They were neither hot nor cold. They had a belief in Jesus but did not have Jesus.

Jesus said "abide in Me and you will bear fruit". This is about fruit. Many will say to HIm.."did we not do this, that, or the other thing in your name? (paraphrased). His answer..." I never knew you". It starts with a relationship (John17:3), an intimate knowing of the almighty Creator.
Not everyone has the same role, purpose, or position in His body. The fruit we bear will not necessarily be cookie cutter. But our works will be a demonstration of His life and nature within us. They are seen as the fruit of the spirit. "Against such there is no law"

What is important to Jesus? " I was hungry and you gave Me food. I was thirsty and you gave Me drink. I was a stranger and you took Me in. I was naked and you clothed Me. I was sick and you visited Me. I was in prison and you came to Me. (Math25:35,36).

For anyone to whom it concerns, this is not about showing off one's authority or power. This is about loving one another. This is about imparting life into another's soul; washing another's feet; laying down one's life for another. It doesn't have to be or look glamerous or spectacular, or even miraculous. It doesn't even need to be seen or known publically.

Revelation 3 not only goes into the lukewarm church, but Jesus also says that HE counsels them to buy gold tried in the fire, (refinement/purging.) so that they might be rich. White raiment that they may be clothed and their shame will not appear, shame is tied to sin throughout the bible. Yes he is talking to lukewarm believers here...and it shows that just because we say we believe that doesn't make it so.

There are examples of different kinds of works throughout the bible. When people hear the word "works" most tend to automatically tie it into salvation by works of the flesh and rather than hear the whole matter, they shut down.

There are works of the flesh, works of wickedness, self righteous works and works of faith.

Hebrews 11 ties directly into James 2 regarding works of Faith and gives several examples of works based on believing God.

Jesus made these statements:

Luke 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Matthew 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

If we believe and trust someone, we are going to do the things that that person said to do. JESUS never lets us down. He lifts us up, plants our feet on the sure foundation and instructs us for our good. Christ loves us and tells us the truth, love is always tied to the truth throughout the scriptures.

The example that you gave from Rev 3 where Jesus says:

Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

As you pointed out, He is speaking to those who say that they believe and He is addressing a church. This absolutely does have to do with a relationship with him, and it has to do with believing on HIM as the scriptures have said, it's the only way that there can be fruit of the spirit. "out of their belly shall flow rivers of living waters." Because if we believe HIM we are going to do the things that HE said to do. Hebrews Ch. 11 goes directly into this as well as John Ch. 6.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
As you pointed out, He is speaking to those who say that they believe and He is addressing a church. This absolutely does have to do with a relationship with him, and it has to do with believing on HIM as the scriptures have said, it's the only way that there can be fruit of the spirit. "out of their belly shall flow rivers of living waters." Because if we believe HIM we are going to do the things that HE said to do. Hebrews Ch. 11 goes directly into this as well as John Ch. 6.

What are the living waters?

To me the living waters are the gospel of grace given to Paul, by Jesus, for everyone in this age of grace. We pour out living water when we tell others about the salvation God has provided for us in Jesus' work on the cross.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

To me the living waters are the gospel of grace given to Paul, by Jesus, for everyone in this age of grace. We pour out living water when we tell others about the salvation God has provided for us in Jesus' work on the cross.

Whitewash would be a better anology...;)

seekandfind

Jun 21, 2012

Hey RichardBurger,

It's not a question of "what are the living waters."

It's a question of WHOM is the fountain of living waters.

Jeremiah 2:13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.
Do you think this has changed? I don't...

You do realize that when Paul said to study to show yourself approved, and when he spoke of the Bereans being more noble because they searched out every matter, that Paul was talking about the Old Testament? The New Testament hadn't even been written or put together at that time.

Paul was an apostle, but we are not saved by Paul, he himself made that clear. Jesus has been speaking since the beginning, HE didn't just show up at the virgin birth.

1 Corinthians 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
1 Corinthians 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
1 Corinthians 1:15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.

Paul taught Jesus, he knew that the truth only comes through JESUS.

Ephesians 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
Ephesians 4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
Ephesians 4:19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
Ephesians 4:20 But ye have not so learned Christ;
Ephesians 4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

Who did Jesus baptize and who does He baptize? "If you continue in MY WORD you are my disciples indeed and you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free."

John 4:1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,
John 4:2 (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

Pick up your bible...pray and ask God for His truth...and for revelation knowledge.

John 6:63 "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Whitewash would be a better anology... ;)

I can just see the venom pouring out of your mouth towards me.

Everyone seems to talk about doing work and it is in reference to the reward of salvation as if it can be bought by a person's works. That is a selfish reason called gaining by your payment of works.

Works for God under grace is to preach the gospel of grace that was given to Paul by Jesus for the Gentiles. No other Apostle was specifically sent to the Gentiles.

Hey RichardBurger,

It's not a question of "what are the living waters."

It's a question of WHOM is the fountain of living waters.

Jeremiah 2:13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.
Do you think this has changed? I don't...

You do realize that when Paul said to study to show yourself approved, and when he spoke of the Bereans being more noble because they searched out every matter, that Paul was talking about the Old Testament? The New Testament hadn't even been written or put together at that time.

Paul was an apostle, but we are not saved by Paul, he himself made that clear. Jesus has been speaking since the beginning, HE didn't just show up at the virgin birth.

1 Corinthians 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
1 Corinthians 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
1 Corinthians 1:15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.

Paul taught Jesus, he knew that the truth only comes through JESUS.

Ephesians 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
Ephesians 4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
Ephesians 4:19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
Ephesians 4:20 But ye have not so learned Christ;
Ephesians 4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

Who did Jesus baptize and who does He baptize? "If you continue in MY WORD you are my disciples indeed and you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free."

John 4:1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,
John 4:2 (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

Pick up your bible...pray and ask God for His truth...and for revelation knowledge.

John 6:63 I"t is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."

You said; ""Paul was an apostle, but we are not saved by Paul, he himself made that clear."""" Where has anyone said we are saved by Paul?

The "living waters is the word of God", period. Paul wrote a major portion of the N.T. ""word of God after the book of Acts. He penned the way a person is saved under the gospel of grace given to him by Jesus and explained why.

You said "Pick up your bible...pray and ask God for His truth...and for revelation knowledge." Does this mean you think you have the inside truth and I don't? It seems like it.

It is the Holy Spirit that has revealed to me my knowledge of the scriptures by showing me, in scriptures the truth after listening to lies by the religious. --- You are arragant if you think you have more knowledge than I do because you don't really know. Many do this to boost their own ego. I certainly don't have to.

seekandfind

Jun 21, 2012
The "living waters is the word of God".

The double edged sword is the Written Word with the LIVING WORD.

I know an atheist who studies the bible more than a lot of Christians and he certainly can challenge many with his on-the-surface understanding, yet he can't see the deeper things involved.

Jesus opens up the scriptures to us and our understanding if we are seeking HIM with all our heart.

All of the prophets and Apostles who spoke forth HIS word and HIS truth understood this..."Out of your belly shall flow rivers of living water." Jesus is the chief corner stone (and he upholds it all). Many died to speak forth HIS truth as recorded throughout the scriptures. Yes, and those things are written.

Read Luke Ch. 24 prayerfully it goes directly into this.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
The "living waters is the word of God".

The double edged sword is the Written Word with the LIVING WORD.

I know an atheist who studies the bible more than a lot of Christians and he certainly can challenge many with his on-the-surface understanding, yet he can't see the deeper things involved.

Jesus opens up the scriptures to us and our understanding if we are seeking HIM with all our heart.

All of the prophets and Apostles who spoke forth HIS word and HIS truth understood this..."Out of your belly shall flow rivers of living water." Jesus is the chief corner stone (and he upholds it all). Many died to speak forth HIS truth as recorded throughout the scriptures. Yes, and those things are written.

Read Luke Ch. 24 prayerfully it goes directly into this.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

If a person is trusting in men to tell them knowledge of God's word they will fail to comprehend it. The word of God must be revealed to a person by the Holy Spirit. - No one can understand the things of God unless it is revealed to them by the Holy Spirit.

Romans 8:13-17
13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

Note: The religious use this to indicate that if you sin in the flesh you will die. It is the religious that are living in the flesh thinking they can make their flesh sinless. When a person acknowledges his/her sins and reach out to Jesus they are putting to death the deeds of their sinful flesh by faith in Him.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out,"Abba, Father."
16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
17 and if children, then heirs — heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.
NKJV

Romans 8:14-16
15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out,"Abba, Father."
16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
NKJV

seekandfind

Jun 21, 2012
If a person is trusting in men to tell them knowledge of God's word they will fail to comprehend it. The word of God must be revealed to a person by the Holy Spirit. - No one can understand the things of God unless it is revealed to them by the Holy Spirit.

13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

"Note: The religious use this to indicate that if you sin in the flesh you will die. It is the religious that are living in the flesh thinking they can make their flesh sinless. When a person acknowledges his/her sins and reach out to Jesus they are putting to death the deeds of their sinful flesh by faith in Him."

17 and if children, then heirs — heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.
NKJV

Romans 8:14-16
NKJV

"If a person is trusting in men to tell them knowledge of God's word they will fail to comprehend it. The word of God must be revealed to a person by the Holy Spirit. - No one can understand the things of God unless it is revealed to them by the Holy Spirit."

We can agree on that truth. I think that's been addressed by many posters on this message string as well. Are you reading the messages RichardBurger?

However, God has and does use men to speak forth His truth, you can see that all through the scriptures.

Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

If a person is saying such and such is true and biblical, that person would have no problem pointing others to the written word to see if it is so. God's word stands. Paul once wrote, "let God be true and every man a liar."That is not to say that every man is a liar, it means search it out to see if is so. If someone is teaching something and not pointing others to search it out themselves prayerfully, we should take issue with that.

Great verse and true! and Paul also wrote that no sin will enter in:

1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1 Corinthians 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Note: All of the things listed in the above verses that "shall not inherit the Kingdom of God," are involved with living according to the flesh. Can any righteousness be found in any of those things?

"Note: The religious use this to indicate that if you sin in the flesh you will die. It is the religious that are living in the flesh thinking they can make their flesh sinless. When a person acknowledges his/her sins and reach out to Jesus they are putting to death the deeds of their sinful flesh by faith in Him."

Well I suppose I can respond to this by saying refer back to what you said at the beginning of this message. You are giving your own opinion here.

Question:

According to the Mid Acts teachings and the Dispensationalist's teachings, does rightly dividing mean to divide and divide and divide even among the things that one individual taught?

When did the bible become a pick-and-choose buffet? Really it baffles me...

You said; ""Paul was an apostle, but we are not saved by Paul, he himself made that clear."""" Where has anyone said we are saved by Paul?

The "living waters is the word of God", period. Paul wrote a major portion of the N.T. ""word of God after the book of Acts. He penned the way a person is saved under the gospel of grace given to him by Jesus and explained why.

You said "Pick up your bible...pray and ask God for His truth...and for revelation knowledge." Does this mean you think you have the inside truth and I don't? It seems like it.

RichardBurger,

I have stated in other messages that I have not been one who has studied the word for years and years, in fact I've ignored it for the most part and deeply regret that. It wasn't until I came under real conviction and was brought to my knees that I begin to take the written word very seriously. I can say that I have no doubt whatsoever that GOD instructs us through HIS WORD. That doesn't make me anything RichadBurger, other than one who will proclaim that HE does teach us through HIS WORD and we shouldn't ignore any of it, and I will proclaim that every chance I get. I know exactly what JESUS saved me from and I will never stop seeking HIS truth and praying that I can walk in a way that is acceptable to HIM. My prayer is that I will not be a hearer only but a doer of the word. I pray that others will see this too because I know that I'm not the only one who ever ignored the scriptures.

James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

What a disconnect between what the Spirit does and what men try to do. I guess if I had never known the Holy Spirit I would be forced to think that it was impossible for men to change.