Fast

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amy

Aug 7, 2007
(thesuperjag;14788)
That's like the best way to win a brother and/or sister back. I agree with you 100%. However to fight back against evil (not any specific person...but evil actions) is the way to defend a brother and sister in Christ in the Faith.When pretty much my whole life, nobody in my family told me anything about God and Jesus. I was told of them for the first time in January 2006 by a girl I met on the internet (not outside of computer)Lovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.I'm glad you are feeling much better now Amy.
smile.gif

Yes, I do agree Jag that we should fight evil to defend our brother and sister, but what to do when one sister is being harsh on another, I can only pray :pray:May God keep us united :grouphug:

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Amy)
Yes, I do agree Jag that we should fight evil to defend our brother and sister, but what to do when one sister is being harsh on another, I can only pray :pray3:May God keep us united :grouphug:
Remember that even Lord Jesus was harshed on His own disciples (I can document that)...but yea, we should pray for both of them. :pray3: Amen Amy!Lovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.

Amy

Aug 7, 2007
(thesuperjag;14794)
Remember that even Lord Jesus was harshed on His own disciples (I can document that)...but yea, we should pray for both of them. :pray3: Amen Amy!Lovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.
Thank you Jag ....> for you :grouphug: :amen:

arenamistica

May 7, 2007
(arenamistica;14746)
[/COLOR]The Devil is a Liar and there is NO Truth in Him! ONLY Satan will say something that is directly OPPOSITE of what God's Word CLEARLY says/supports! Sorry, I NEED SCRIPTURE!!!!! Any scripture that back up "your" claim???With Love,Arena
Maybe I should clarify myself. I'm an AVID BELIEVER in FASTING!!!!! I was saying that I NEED scriptural references that SPECIFICALLY back up that the following statements;statement # 1: [COLOR="Red]"You can only drink water" (....while fasting)statement #2: "There is no proper or unproper way to fast"Because, as far as I know...there are NO scriptures that support either of these statements! If that be the case, I wonder who REALLY is behind/operating in the persons from these statements were made (actually I already know)???? With Love,Arena

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Let us turn the other cheek and move on:) Our believes often raise our passions up. We are all guilty of this at times. Let us get on with learning Gods Word.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Ok, then, how about all together, we should study on fast/fasting? Shall we? (It may work)Lovest ye in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
statement # 1: "You can only drink water" (....while fasting) I never said thisI simply provided what the hebrew word means because thats what the word meant when it was written and still means. And there was different types of fasting. statement #2: "There is no proper or unproper way to fast"Because this is not a requiement of God but rather a personal choice it is therefore a personal decision of what is proper or not the same way the amont of time you pray is a personal descion.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
I'm going to create a new thread on fast/fasting if you don't mind...I'm only going to have one rule.Lovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Maybe I should clarify myself. I'm an AVID BELIEVER in FASTING!!!!! I was saying that I NEED scriptural references that SPECIFICALLY back up that the following statements;Quote)I really not concerned about what your personal choice is This site is about Biblical truth and your personal choices is just that personal not Gods word.

arenamistica

May 7, 2007
(kriss;14806)
I really not concerned with what your personal choice is This site is about Biblical truth and your personal choices is just that personal not Gods word.
EXACTLY.....'cause there ARE NONE (scriptures) that back up these FALSE statements listed below.statement # 1: "You can only drink water" (....while fasting)statement #2: "There is no proper or unproper way to fast"You need to just let go of pride (and any/every other thing/spirit that is not like Him (God)) and do things God's Way because ultimately that's all that He will accept!With Love & Concern,Arena

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
statement # 1: "You can only drink water" (....while fasting)THIS WASNT MY STATEMENT statement #2: "There is no proper or unproper way to fast"THIS IS BASED ON THE HEBREW WORD FOR FAST AND COMMON SENSE BECAUSE THERE IS NO CERTAIN WAY TO MAKE PERSONAL CHOICESTHERE IS NO SCRIPTURE TO SUPPORT A REQUIREMENT FOR FASTING YOU KEEP TELLING ME I AM WRONG SHOW ME GIVE ME SCRIPTURE FOR A FAST REQUIREMENT.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Just in case you missed it the first timethe facts are there are 17 verses in the bible using the word Fasting 8 of these in the new testament another 11 verses using the word Fast in the new testament. NOT ONE NOT EVEN ONE SAYS YOU MUST FAST TO BETTER KNOW GOD NOT ONE SAYS FASTING IS REQUIRED NOT ONE SAYS GOD WILL LOOK MORE FAVORABLY ON YOUR PRAYERS SHOULD YOU FAST THESE ARE THE FACTS.Now it is fact that the apostles often fasted and prayedbut so did all the Sadducees and the Pharisees that didnt except Christ. Fasting is not the way to God. If you choose to fast in reverence of the Lord we are told to do it so as to make a show of it for others but rather privately for the Lord. IT IS FAITH AND PRAYER AND THE LAW AND REPENTANCE THAT GOD REQUIRES NOT FASTINGAND IF ANYONE CAN SHOW ME ONE SCRIPTURE THAT SAYS FASTING IS REQUIRED TO BETTER KNOW THE LORD OR TO HAVE YOUR PRAYERS ANSWERED YOU MUST FAST. PLEASE TO SO. IF NOT THEN YOUR OPINION IS JUST THAT YOUR OPINION BUT DO NOT CLAIM IT AS GODS WORD

daniel2macarius

Jul 29, 2007
Dear Amy, This is what the Apostles where commanded from the Lord Jesus Christ about fasting and what the Apostles passed on to the 1st century church all these quotes have been taken from the didache( The teaching of the 12 Apostles) which is regarded as an geuine early church document and has been used by the church now for nearly 2000 years. 1.There are two ways, one of life and one of death; and between the two ways there is a great difference.Now, this is the way of life: First, you must love God who made you, and second, your neighbor as yourself. And whatever you want people to refrain from doing to you, you must not do to them.What these maxims teach is this: Bless those who curse you, and pray for your enemies. More over, fast for those who persecute you. (didache Chapter 1) 2.Now about baptism: this is how to baptize. Give public instruction on all these points, and then baptize in running water, in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. If you do not have running water, baptize in some other. If you cannot in cold, then in warm. If you have neither, then pour water on the head three times in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Before the baptism, moreover, the one who baptizes and the one being baptized must fast, and any others who can. And you must tell the one being baptized to fast for one or two days be forehand.(didache Chapter 7)Your fasts must not be identical with those of the hypocrites. They fast on Mondays and Thursdays; but you should fast on Wednesdays and Fridays.(didache chapter 8)Fasting as taught by the 1st century church was to abstain from animal products altogether,much the same as a vegan does today(i am not a vegan)the only time we would abstain from food and water altogether would be 8 hours before the eucharist. these are still taught today in all the Oriental Orthodox Churches as a part of church Tradition.There are other fast that the Apostles passed on to the Church but if you start with these you will be doing well.so to summerize1. Fast 8 hours before the Eucharist2. fast one or two days before someone is baptized3. fast every wednesday and friday

Amy

Aug 7, 2007
(daniel2macarius;14881)
Dear Amy, This is what the Apostles where commanded from the Lord Jesus Christ about fasting and what the Apostles passed on to the 1st century church all these quotes have been taken from the didache( The teaching of the 12 Apostles) which is regarded as an geuine early church document and has been used by the church now for nearly 2000 years. 1.There are two ways, one of life and one of death; and between the two ways there is a great difference.Now, this is the way of life: First, you must love God who made you, and second, your neighbor as yourself. And whatever you want people to refrain from doing to you, you must not do to them.What these maxims teach is this: Bless those who curse you, and pray for your enemies. More over, fast for those who persecute you. (didache Chapter 1) 2.Now about baptism: this is how to baptize. Give public instruction on all these points, and then baptize in running water, in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. If you do not have running water, baptize in some other. If you cannot in cold, then in warm. If you have neither, then pour water on the head three times in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Before the baptism, moreover, the one who baptizes and the one being baptized must fast, and any others who can. And you must tell the one being baptized to fast for one or two days be forehand.(didache Chapter 7)Your fasts must not be identical with those of the hypocrites. They fast on Mondays and Thursdays; but you should fast on Wednesdays and Fridays.(didache chapter 8)Fasting as taught by the 1st century church was to abstain from animal products altogether,much the same as a vegan does today(i am not a vegan)the only time we would abstain from food and water altogether would be 8 hours before the eucharist. these are still taught today in all the Oriental Orthodox Churches as a part of church Tradition.There are other fast that the Apostles passed on to the Church but if you start with these you will be doing well.so to summerize1. Fast 8 hours before the Eucharist2. fast one or two days before someone is baptized3. fast every wednesday and friday
Dear Brother,Thank you so much for your guidance and pardon me for asking why is wednesday and friday so important? Why can't it be any day of the week? Secondly, what is Eucharist?In addition, are there any guidelines to observe during fast besides (not) eating and praying?Your kindness is much appreciated
smile.gif
Bless you !

daniel2macarius

Jul 29, 2007

Thank you so much for your guidance and pardon me for asking why is wednesday and friday so important? Why can't it be any day of the week? Secondly, what is Eucharist?
Thank you for your kind word'sNow to answer your Very good question's.But He(Jesus) commanded us to fast on the fourth and sixth days of the week; the former on account of His being betrayed, and the latter on account of His passion. The first day of the week being sunday makes wednesday the fourth and friday the sixth day's, this was taught by the Apostles and is still taught in all Oriental Orthodox churches today.
Why can't it be any day of the week?
wednesday and friday where the day's Our Lord commanded us to fast through the Apostles, but this does not stop you from fasting more then these two day's if you wan't to.And your second question:
what is Eucharist?
The Eucharist is The Body and Blood of Christ also called The Lord's Supper,and Holy Communion.Here is a brief outline of the didache but if you want to see the whole thing i can Email it to you Discovered in 1873 in a monastary library in Constantinople, the “Didache (literally, The Teaching) of the Twelve Apostles” has made a significant impact on the way in which schol ver your ars understand the social life and ritual practices of the early church. It is, in fact, the first “church manual” to have survived from early Christianity.The book was probably written around 100 C.E., since it appears to be familiar with earlier Christian traditions such as those embodied in Matthew’s Gospel in the latter half of the first century, yet does not evidence the rigid form of church hierarchy that had developed later in the second century (even though it speaks of bishops and deacons).The first part of the book describes the “Two Ways of Life and Death” (see the introduction to the Letter of Barnabas). The Way of Life (chaps. 1—4) is paved with upright behavior: the author’s readers are to love one another, avoid evil desires, jealousy, and anger, give alms to the poor, obey God’s commandments, and generally lead morally respectable lives. Many of these instructions reflect the teachings of Jesus from Matthew’s Sermon on the Mount (e.g., praying for one’s enemies, turning the other cheek, and going the extra mile). As might be expected, the Way of Death (chap. 5) involves the opposite sorts of be havior: “murders, adulteries, lusts, fomications, thefts,” and sundry other transgressive activities.The bulk of the rest of the book gives instructions for the ritual practices and social interactions of the Christian community (chaps. 7—15), including directions for how to per form baptisms (preferably in cold, running water), when to fast (every Wednesday and Friday), what to pray (the Lord’s Prayer, three times a day), and how to celebrate the Eucharist (first giving thanks for the cup, then the bread). Near the end of these instructions the author addresses the problem of wandering “apostles,” “teachers,” and “prophets” of dubious moral character; evidently, some scoundrels had become itinerant Christian preachers simply for financial gain. The communities are to test the sincerity of these wandering ministers and to limit the length of their stay at the community’s expense; moreover, the communities are to appoint leaders of their own to direct their affairs.The book concludes with a kind of apocalyptic discourse, an exhortation to be prepared for the imminent end of the world, to be brought by “the Lord coming on the clouds of heaven” (16:7).“The Didache,” from Early Christian Fathers, edited by Cyril D. Richardson (Library of Christian Classics). © 1953 by Westminster Press. Reprinted by permission of Westminster John Knox Press.In addition, are there any guidelines to observe during fast besides (not) eating and praying?Generaly no relations if you know what i mean :angel1: God Blessdaniel2macarius

Amy

Aug 7, 2007
(daniel2macarius;14893)
Thank you for your kind word'sNow to answer your Very good question's.But He(Jesus) commanded us to fast on the fourth and sixth days of the week; the former on account of His being betrayed, and the latter on account of His passion.
Dear Brother,What is meant by betrayal and passion here? What is it refering to? (daniel2macarius;14893)
Generaly no relations if you know what i mean :angel1:
Yes, I do understand what you mean
smile.gif
Thank you for the details and I would very much like to read more on 'Didache' as it is new to me and will get in touch with you over the pm.Bleass you :pray3:

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Thank you Daniel for your guidelines here much appreciatedHowever I dont want anyone to be confused these rules are not in the Bible there are many Books and writings that churches can base their believes and rules on and Daniel has kindly provided one here for you different churches may follow different traditions. That is why I have said that fasting is personal choice based on your church or your Beliefs . Fasting is a wonderful way to reverance God if your health or other circumstances allowGod does not require you to fast Since the death on the cross. But if you do choose to fast for the Lord The bible only list one rule for fasting and that is that you do it in good faith for the Lord and not do it as a public show.How often, when, what kind of fast, the Bible doesnt say much about so you have to go to other sources outside of the bible as Daniel provided here or find/use your own.Or go by the feast of the Old Testament.

Amy

Aug 7, 2007
(kriss;14911)
Thank you Daniel for your guidelines here much appreciatedHowever I dont want anyone to be confused these rules are not in the Bible there are many Books and writings that churches can base their believes and rules on and Daniel has kindly provided one here for you different churches may follow different traditions. That is why I have said that fasting is personal choice based on your church or your Beliefs . Fasting is a wonderful way to reverance God if your health or other circumstances allowGod does not require you to fast. But if you do choose to fast for the Lord The bible only list one rule for fasting and that is that you do it in good faith for the Lord and not do it as a public show.How often, when, what kind of fast, the Bible doesnt say much about so you have to go to other sources outside of the bible as Daniel provided here or find/use your own.
Thank you sister Kriss for your guidance and support. I agree that fasting is not a norm just another wonderful way to connect to God and experience his holiness. Personally, I think fasting would be a very beneficial way for me as in my everday life I tend to get so wrapped up in the worldly chores but being in fast is like being under an oath. It's a good way to dedicate part of your day(s) to his holiness and connect. Though he is always in our hearts but by doing so it gets more practicle.At the same time I am very keen to learn about how to fast as it was never clear to me before; being from an Islamic country where fast has so much importance, I often get questions from my fellow muslims asking about how it is done in our religion, but I fail everytime to give a solid answer due to my confusion on the subject. This conversation has been a very sourceful as I have learn't a lot through this one thread. Thank you once again and thank you all
smile.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
You are very welcome sister Amy thanks for the question as it made us all a little more aware of this subject. And thank you Daniel for a good guide. And you are so right about your reason for fasting. Fasting is a great way to be reminded of God and our prayers to him when we head for the refrigerator or the nearest fast food resterurant. And to also thank him for our blessings including the fact that we can so easily get our bellies full:)God bless