First Day Worship is not Biblical

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sabitarian

Sep 11, 2011
First day worship is not Biblical.
Matt 26:17
the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the Passover?
KJV
There is a translation problem here as Passover is not part of Unleavened Bread as the first day of Unleavened Bread is a high holy day and Passover is not. It is a day to remember or of memorial but not a holy day. This is the first of 12 references to first day in the New Testament. None of which have any reference to first day worship.
Matt 28:1
28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
KJV
This is the second.
Mark 14:12
12 And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?
KJV
Christ is keeping the laws of His Father.
Mark 16:2
2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
KJV
Nothing about worship here either.
Mark 16:9
9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
KJV
Nothing about worship here either.
Luke 24:1
24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.
KJV
John 20:1
20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
KJV
John 20:19
19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
KJV
At sunset on the seventh day Sabbath starts the first day which this was and they were there were there for fear of the Jews not to worship.
Acts 20:7
7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.
KJV
We have the same problem here as teaching until midnight is just after the Sabbath and it was most likely a meeting of the elders of the new Church, who the Jews would have been targeting, as they would not go after the rank and file only the elders. He was teaching them the laws of God.
Acts 20:18
18 And when they were come to him, he said unto them, Ye know, from the first day that I came into Asia, after what manner I have been with you at all seasons,
KJV
1 Cor 16:2
2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
KJV
Paul is not even there and many collections were done on the first day of the week.
Phil 1:5
5 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now;
KJV
This is all of the references to the first day and I see no worship services in any of them. Plus there is no foretelling of that change in the Old Testament, which is the telling tale. All other changes were fore told many times and centuries before there implementation.
humble servant of the Lord God Most High

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Does God really judge people on the day that they worship Him? Or is it a lifestyle (all days) of worship that He judges? I may be wrong but I thought it was the heart that God judged man.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Amen. The 4th commandment is not about which day God is to be worshipped. It is about rest from work. It is all there in Exodus 20:8-11. God makes no mention of worship there. But this issue has been changed by those who want to take issue with others concerning the day they go to church. It doesn't even seem to matter to them that the commandment makes no mention of worship. It was merely a convenience to meet on that day while they rested. It became a tradition to do so. But real worship takes place from the heart, not from a pew. And real rest does so as well.

For many of us, worship is an every day experience. Rest is another subject altogether. But the real target on the proverbial forehead is on those who feel justified before God by the works they do. The warning in Luke 18:10-14 is clear, in the words of our Lord. He who exalts himself will be abased, he who humbles himself will be exalted. I would rather rest from the works of the law for justification and righteousness (Rom.10:4). These are the works that some need to rest from. God will judge each motive.

Sabitarian

Sep 11, 2011
This is for you Christians, the battle is beginning now! Obamacare could be the start of the tribulation and the court rulling against us is just the tip of the iceberg. I will now have to find a way to survive without taking the sign of the beast, Obamacare. My God has told me He will never leave me nor forsake me and now all of my trust has to be in Him as I am unable to with stand this on my own.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
This is for you Christians, the battle is beginning now! Obamacare could be the start of the tribulation and the court rulling against us is just the tip of the iceberg. I will now have to find a way to survive without taking the sign of the beast, Obamacare. My God has told me He will never leave me nor forsake me and now all of my trust has to be in Him as I am unable to with stand this on my own.
You have to find a way to survive, and yet you have to trust Him? Make up your mind. This is an appropriate contradiction. It demonstrates what we have been enduring from you. The name for it is leaven. The leaven of the law. It happens when the two covenants are mixed together and one becomes double minded. On the one hand, one claims to trust in Jesus for salvation and life, and on the other hand one is doing works for the purpose of his own survival from God's wrath.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
One day a week worship is an OT concept. We are to walk in the Spirit at all times every day. That is our worship.

Joh_4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

This should be compared to those who seek to worship in a physical way one day a week..

Mat_15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
Our worship of God should be a constant thing and not just one day a week. Daily I praise God and recognize His greatness, while also recognizing that there are no words capable of giving Him the praise He rightfully deserves.

I don't have a "day of worship"; I worship Him daily.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do we major in shadows and minor in substance?
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
(Col 2:16-17)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Our worship of God should be a constant thing and not just one day a week. Daily I praise God and recognize His greatness, while also recognizing that there are no words capable of giving Him the praise He rightfully deserves.

I don't have a "day of worship"; I worship Him daily.

Kudos bro!!! :)

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
Kudos bro!!! :)

Thanks. There is not a day that goes by that I don't tell God how great He is. I hope that repeating the same words every day doesn't cause them to lose their value, but here is what I say daily.

"My Lord and my God, how great Thou art! Thy name, oh Lord, is above all names. There is no one like Thee, for great are You, Lord, and greatly to be praised! Praise Father, Son, and Holy Spirit! Blessed be Thy name, oh Lord, and forever I will praise Thy holy name! You alone are worthy to be praised, glorified, magnified, worshiped, adored, and so much more than words could ever tell."

I say this or something similar several times a day. I go to bed praising His name, and I'm often praising His name in other ways all day long. "Praise Gof from Whom all blessings flow." That is the beginning of the doxology that we sing every Sunday morning at my church.

Watchwithme

Jul 20, 2012
Thanks. There is not a day that goes by that I don't tell God how great He is. I hope that repeating the same words every day doesn't cause them to lose their value, but here is what I say daily.

"My Lord and my God, how great Thou art! Thy name, oh Lord, is above all names. There is no one like Thee, for great are You, Lord, and greatly to be praised! Praise Father, Son, and Holy Spirit! Blessed be Thy name, oh Lord, and forever I will praise Thy holy name! You alone are worthy to be praised, glorified, magnified, worshiped, adored, and so much more than words could ever tell."

I say this or something similar several times a day. I go to bed praising His name, and I'm often praising His name in other ways all day long. "Praise Gof from Whom all blessings flow." That is the beginning of the doxology that we sing every Sunday morning at my church.

No offence brother, I know you mean well but Christ does not pay any attention to the gift of "religious gab." His words - "But when ye pray, use not vein repetitions, as the heathen do. For they think that they shall be heard with their much speaking.

Refer not to the mere repetition of words, but to the fact that it is never our earnestness that brings us into touch with God, but our Lord Jesus Christ's vitalising death. See Hebrew 10:19 [font=trebuchet ms']Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms']God Bless You[/font]

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
You know...people may be able to argue that worship on Sunday does not appear in scripture...I disagree, but sure, they can argue. But what they can't argue is how often Paul said that under Christ we are free.

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.
Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law.
You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love. (Galatians 5:1-6 ESV)

For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” (Galatians 5:13-14 ESV)

Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17 ESV)

Such freedom that is ours is this; we get to choose when we worship...be it everyday, be it Saturday, Sunday or Tuesday. It doesn't matter as long as Christ is praised and proclaimed; and to harp on about a day when there are millions lost, is a waste of time.

Watchwithme

Jul 20, 2012
You know...people may be able to argue that worship on Sunday does not appear in scripture...I disagree, but sure, they can argue. But what they can't argue is how often Paul said that under Christ we are free.

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.
Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law.
You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love. (Galatians 5:1-6 ESV)

For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” (Galatians 5:13-14 ESV)

Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17 ESV)

Such freedom that is ours is this; we get to choose when we worship...be it everyday, be it Saturday, Sunday or Tuesday. It doesn't matter as long as Christ is praised and proclaimed; and to harp on about a day when there are millions lost, is a waste of time.

AMEN!

One finds it's usually a member of one of the cults that like to contend this issue. They are generally heavily brainwashed and quite skilled at scripture manipulation on this and other topics such as the trinity, eternal torment, all of which they deny as biblical. EG - Seventh Day Adventist, Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, World Wide Church Of God folks etc.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
AMEN!

One finds it's usually a member of one of the cults that like to contend this issue. They are generally heavily brainwashed and quite skilled at scripture manipulation on this and other topics such as the trinity, eternal torment, all of which they deny as biblical. EG - Seventh Day Adventist, Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, World Wide Church Of God folks etc.

Well, one would say "I wish they'd spend their time on spreading the gospel"...but if they are cult members...maybe not! Perhaps less harm would be done by them haranguing us over that day!!

Watchwithme

Jul 20, 2012
Well, one would say "I wish they'd spend their time on spreading the gospel"...but if they are cult members...maybe not! Perhaps less harm would be done by them haranguing us over that day!!

Door To Door Prosletizing of any and all religions should be outlawed in my opinion. This is how the Mormons and JWs recruit all their members.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Sigh, here we go. Lol. I really don't care. I go to church because I feel God move. And I've felt him move at Sunday meetings, Monday meetings, Tuesday meetings, Wednesday meetings, Thursday meetings, Friday meetings, Saturday meetings!

Hey, EVERY day is the day that the Lord has made!

Psa 118:24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Who cares what day to worship on? I think that if we were made to worship, that's what we should be doing EVERY day!

Col_1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Everything was made by Jesus, and it was all made by Jesus for HIMSELF! It's time we start doing what we were made for!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
The New Testament standard is to be worshiping and exalting God every moment of every day!

Rejoice always! Pray without ceasing! In everything give thanks! :)

Reactions: Episkopos

Watchwithme

Jul 20, 2012
So it's recruitment of the gullible...just like the lotto is a tax on the stupid!!

Sadly its the recruitment of the lost and spiritually vulnerable, those who are seeking the truth. Usually around about this time is when a couple of Satan's well equipped and exceedingly well trained scripture twisters come a knockin claiming to be Christian offering free in home bible manipulation studies.