" for a time, times, and an half"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anybody know definitively, what is meant by " for a time, times, and an half"?

Dan:12:7: And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half; and when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all these things shall be finished.

What is understood as a time in this case? Could it be from Adam to the flood that is understood as a time?

Cooter

Jun 14, 2011
N E Ohio
Time, times and half a time is another way of saying 3 1/2 years. Basically it is a symbol for a time of tribulation.
Elijah caused a 3 1/2 year drought which was tribulation.
Nero persecuted the Christians for 3 plus years
The tribulation of Jerusalem lasted 3 1/2 years.
Domitian persecuted the Christians for 3 plus years
Antiochus persecuted the Jews for 3 years (Temple was out of operation for 3 1/2 years according to Josephus)

keras

Writer of Bible study guides
Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Yes it refers to the 3.5 year end time Great Tribulation of the 7 Trumpets and 7 Bowl punishments.
It will be a 1260 day, 42 lunar month period, then Jesus will Return. The 1290 and 1335 days in Daniel 12:11-12 denote the extra time reqd for the Marriage Supper of the Lamb and the setting up of the Millennial Kingdom.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
3.5 years.

Dan 7:25 NIV He will speak against the Most High and oppress his holy people and try to change the set times and the laws. The holy people will be delivered into his hands for a time, times and half a time.

Dan 12:7 NIV The man clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, lifted his right hand and his left hand toward heaven, and I heard him swear by him who lives forever, saying, "It will be for a time, times and half a time. When the power of the holy people has been finally broken, all these things will be completed."

Rev 11:2-3 NIV But exclude the outer court; do not measure it, because it has been given to the Gentiles. They will trample on the holy city for 42 months. And I will appoint my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth."

Rev 12:6 NIV The woman fled into the wilderness to a place prepared for her by God, where she might be taken care of for 1,260 days.

Rev 12:14 NIV The woman was given the two wings of a great eagle, so that she might fly to the place prepared for her in the wilderness, where she would be taken care of for a time, times and half a time, out of the serpent's reach.

Rev 13:5 NIV The beast was given a mouth to utter proud words and blasphemies and to exercise its authority for forty-two months.

toknowthetruth

May 11, 2015
ATP said:
3.5 years.

Dan 7:25 NIV He will speak against the Most High and oppress his holy people and try to change the set times and the laws. The holy people will be delivered into his hands for a time, times and half a time.

Dan 12:7 NIV The man clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, lifted his right hand and his left hand toward heaven, and I heard him swear by him who lives forever, saying, "It will be for a time, times and half a time. When the power of the holy people has been finally broken, all these things will be completed."

Rev 11:2-3 NIV But exclude the outer court; do not measure it, because it has been given to the Gentiles. They will trample on the holy city for 42 months. And I will appoint my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth."

Rev 12:6 NIV The woman fled into the wilderness to a place prepared for her by God, where she might be taken care of for 1,260 days.

Rev 12:14 NIV The woman was given the two wings of a great eagle, so that she might fly to the place prepared for her in the wilderness, where she would be taken care of for a time, times and half a time, out of the serpent's reach.

Rev 13:5 NIV The beast was given a mouth to utter proud words and blasphemies and to exercise its authority for forty-two months.
There's also the controversial verse of Dan 9:27; And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

That can be interpreted as a 7 year period where the last 3.5 years are the period of great tribulation. See Matt 24:15; When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:), and 21; For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the postings

I’m not saying anything that has been posted here isn’t true or accurate, it’s just for the sake of a unproven theory I have. In the case of time, times and a half there might be more to it then meets the eye, so to speak. In other words what if one looks outside the box on this one?

Oh yea a week as 7 years was also used when Jacob discussed his time working for his uncle with his uncle.

As I understand it the only "time" in scripture might be Adam to the flood. From one man to one man, hence like a year the earth returns to where it or the year started from.

The flood was 1656 years from Adam if you multiply that by 3.5 puts you in the Hebrew calender year of 5796 which is 2036 in Gregorian. That in and of itself means little if anything. It was a curiosity on my part more than anything. Russian (Gog or Magog don’t remember) scientists were expressing concern about an asteroid "Apophis" that will spend 7 years in this solar system a they expected it to possibly reek havoc on the earth. And was it said "all these things shall be finished." also if you have noticed, the last notable effort and efforts in space have been focused on things like landing on asteroids and the study thereof, and Russia is the main force these days in recent space efforts. Also in some Rabbinical circles its generally thought of that when the nations war against the heavens, its over, the end time is here.

Though yes it could be just a brain fart, but that’s two things. I haven’t found a third affirmation or thing that just might make this genuine, rather than a theory. Though one could say in this case this means 3.5 years but then why the choice of a Hebrew word that translates to time when the word year and whatever Hebrew text that translates to "year" in English is all over the Bible?

And as far as the wording in revelation in respect to time, times and a half, who is the woman? It doesn’t say Israel, or Mary, or really anyone in particular. But the Lord did say this back then in

Gen:3:15: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

And after these things Gen:3:20: And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.
Eve didn’t have the name "Eve" before Gen:3:20, she was "Woman" as Adam called her

Gen:2:23: And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

And we know Satan has been trying to stop the fulfillment of the Word of God in the world ever since. I mean the first two child, the one kills the other. And it hasn’t stopped since.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From a folio cataloged as Yahuda MS 7.3g, f. 13v:

"So then the time times & half a time are 42 months or 1260 days or three years & an half, reckoning twelve months to a year & 30 days to a month as was done in the Calendar of the primitive year. And the days of short lived Beasts being put for the years of lived kingdoms, the period of 1260 days, if dated from the complete conquest of the three kings A.C. 800, will end A.C. 2060." Isaac Newton

As Charlemagne was crowned king on December 25, 800 by Pope Leo the III so the day of Christ's coming will be on Christmas Day, 2060. If the rapture of the saints (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17) occurs seven years before the time of Christs coming the date of the rapture 12.25 2053. However Isaac Newton notes

"It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail. Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons which God hath put into his own breast." Isaac Newtona time are 42 months or 1260 days or three years & an half, reckoning twelve months to a year & 30 days to a month as was done in the Calendar of the primitive year. And the days of short lived Beasts being put for the years of lived kingdoms, the period of 1260 days, if dated from the complete conquest of the three kings A.C. 800, will end A.C. 2060." Isaac Newton

keras

Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Issac Newton was a brilliant scholar and did his best to unravel the Bible prophesies. But it was impossible for him to be right, as he; like so many others, lived too soon.
Daniel 12:9 Go your way, Daniel, for the Words are to be kept secret until the time of the end.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well just for the record, I’m not saying I know when, or that I am some sort of prophecies scholar, but I do trust this to be true that is within the next few verses "for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end." and what if this is the time of the end?

My curiosity is for the same reason as Newton mentions in your post, one gets tired of the same old same old that really doesn’t reveal a thing nor bring understanding, or even clear up anything.

But I do find the coincidences very intriguing. And we aren’t even talking about how things are turning against Israel politically. But see even if I am incorrect, the problem I have with time, times and a half being just 3.5 years is when it was asked "6: And one said to the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, How long shall it be to the end of these wonders? " of which the time,time and a half was the answer to. Was that question in reference to the 1290 days that wasn’t mentioned yet or was it in reference to what was being told Daniel from the beginning of chapter 11. Which makes sense and would take quite some time longer than 3.5 years, wouldn’t it?

toknowthetruth

May 11, 2015
ATP said:
Interesting and possible. However, I don't hold to the two trib periods, but rather one trib of 3.5 years. The way I see it the first 3.5 years of the covenant will be a time when it seems like peace has been established among the nations. Only when the AC breaks the covenant will the period of great tribulation begin and last only for the last 3.5 years of the AC reign.

Out of curiosity, besides interpreting Rev 12 as talking about two separate 3.5 year periods, are there other scriptures where it is obviously talking about two separate trib periods, or is it only in more obscure passages that this interpretation gets its roots?

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
toknowthetruth said:
Interesting and possible. However, I don't hold to the two trib periods, but rather one trib of 3.5 years. The way I see it the first 3.5 years of the covenant will be a time when it seems like peace has been established among the nations. Only when the AC breaks the covenant will the period of great tribulation begin and last only for the last 3.5 years of the AC reign.

I agree.

Out of curiosity, besides interpreting Rev 12 as talking about two separate 3.5 year periods, are there other scriptures where it is obviously talking about two separate trib periods, or is it only in more obscure passages that this interpretation gets its roots?

I was experimenting with Matt 24, but I think I might be wrong. Matt 24:21 ESV I believe is speaking of the last 3.5 years. The great tribulation (the last 3.5 years) can also be found in Psalm 27:5 NIV, Jer 30:7 NIV, Dan 12:1 NIV, Zeph 1:15 NIV, Rev 3:10 NIV. The seven year total tribulation might be found in Ez 39:9-10 NIV and Dan 9:27, but that's up for question. I also believe the seven seals will be open in the first 3.5 years and that the sixth seal will open up right before the start of the last 3.5 years. Sixth seal is rapture.

keras

Mar 18, 2014
New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The 'week', the unfulfilled last seven years of the Seventy, as prophesied by Daniel 9:27, is divided in two. It seems that the first half will be peaceful, as the peace treaty made between the Anti-Christ and new Israel, [the new nation of Beulah, Isaiah 62:1-5] holds. But then the AC conquers Beulah and sits in the Temple. This triggers the Great Trib. and 1260 days later Jesus Returns and destroys them. 30 days later, Daniel 12:11, 1290 days, the Temple will be cleansed, perhaps this time is also the Marriage Supper of the Lamb and, Daniel 12:12, 1335 days, is 75 days later.
The Return; at the feast of Tabernacles, [means: God with us] then about 75 days later is the Feast of Hanukkah.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So I'm guessing time, "times" and a half
translates to 1 year, another 2 years and a half?

How do we know times is 2 but not 3 or 4? could it mean another period of time instead of the tribulation?

Don't worry i figured it out while i was still writing this post lolz, "time, times and a half" is 2 periods of time and a half.

ezekiel

Aug 14, 2013
Faith
Country
United States
That truth to this needs be found with other things. Now Christ caused the sacrifice and the oblation to cease when he died. Someone has posted this the other day and gave these numbers. Chapter 7 in Daniel will give you this understanding. This is not the first time Daniel was told this in chapter 7 its told once, and then before that the understanding also of the 4 beast that they will have their time and season. Moreover we are looking at kingdoms more so 4 kingdoms time (1), times(2)(3), and 1/2 time(4). In this we see from Christ til the abomination of desolation. 4 kingdoms.