For those into Astronomy: Saturn's moon Titan

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I always found different planetary atmospheres quite intriguing, even though I am not a meteorological expert. What is its atmospheric composition? How about it’s atmospheric pressure? The temperature? and what of other planetary factors such as its gravitational force, the amount of light and so forth?I want to share some sounds and videos of the Huygen’s space probe that landed on Saturn’s moon Titan back in 2005. I am totally amazed at this large moon (about 0.4 the diameter of the Earth). It has an atmosphere of about 98% Nitrogen like the earth and trace amounts of methane making its sky look rather orange. They claim the lighting is about as bright as 10 minutes past earth’s sunset, if you can imagine that. The pressure is surprisingly about 1.5 times that of the earth’s atmosphere, so it is a little thicker, in spite of the fact that the gravity is closer to that of the moon’s (much less than the earth’s). And it is much COLDER! The surface temp was a whopping –290º F! I think the coldest it gets on the earth (and rarely) is about –100º F.As a matter of fact, the gravity is so low, and the air so thick, that it is said that an astronaut wearing arm wings could flap and fly through its air.Here’s the first link with and the actual acoustic sounds of the Huygen’s space probe as it lunged thru the atmosphere. You can hear the forceful winds rushing by like a jet as the probe had its heat shields and parachutes to slow the descent. You are going to hear the actual sounds of Titan’s atmosphere in other words!http://www.planetary.org/explore/topics/sa...ecent_short.wavHere’s an animation of the Huygen’s probe coming from the Cassini space craft and what transpired as it landed onto the surface. I think playing that sound track along with the animation would be very inspiring to say the least as the probe parachutes its way thru the thick atmosphere.http://www.windows.ucar.edu/space_missions...escent_nasa.movAnd here’s some of its instrument monitor sounds---- sounds melodic actually! If you are patient to see the entire video, you can see it mapping out its surface as it gets closer, and the last frame shows the actual rocks (I believe they were mostly ices) on the surface after it landed. It looks barren like a dessert with an orange sky!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SedRrGuT8KgEnjoy!

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Yeah, and I just noticed something else, too. This is the third anniversary of its landing (January 14, 2005).

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
My hubby has always been interested in space, astronomy. But then life's business took his time... work. We just went to planetarium little while ago. I found it fascinating. Now my hubby is into rockets. We know it's a big thing in USA. We've ordered some stuff from there. I just support him. Sew some parachutes and go to launches with him. We've got 3 rockets in our living room. They look really nice. One is almost 3 metres high. Hubby's got his own rocket shed too. Now he's got more free time to build them. I'm happy for him.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(Thunder1;31416)
My hubby has always been interested in space, astronomy. But then life's business took his time... work. We just went to planetarium little while ago. I found it fascinating. Now my hubby is into rockets. We know it's a big thing in USA. We've ordered some stuff from there. I just support him. Sew some parachutes and go to launches with him. We've got 3 rockets in our living room. They look really nice. One is almost 3 metres high. Hubby's got his own rocket shed too. Now he's got more free time to build them. I'm happy for him.
That's an interesting hobby. I fire a few rockets up myself once in awhile (they are just the foot long sizes). I live on several acres of land with open fields where I can do this. In spite of that, I recommend one thing: Use streamers to break the rocket's fall instead of parachutes. Unless you have a very BIG field on the order of several tenths of a mile with no trees, even a little wind can carry the rocket far. I learned this a long time ago not to use parachutes unless I want to kiss my rocket goodbye. With the streamer, it'll slow the fall to the point where the impact will not damage it, but the wind will not carry it as far.

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
Hi Tim, this is Thunder 1's hubby. Nice to know you are interested in rocketry/space. I actually belong to a rocketry club here and we have about 300 acres of flat fields and basically no trees. I have built 16 rockets and launch monthly. Most of the kits come from USA + I have done some scratch build ones. I haven't launced anything over 'G' size yet but this year should do. I find that when rocket launches up, my spirit is lifted up, weird but I enjoy it.Will send you a pm with our clubs web site and you'll get to see me. We were featured with a whole page story in our main newspaper 2 months ago and also in tv. God is good.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Very nice, thank you
smile.gif
.Interesting how God made us some space to explore
tongue.gif