Free will, the root of misunderstanding

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sargento

Jul 14, 2013
Veteran...
Judas only did what he did after the Devil toke over him (great free will) after Christ gave the order "do it".

And do you know why didn't the other perish?

While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
João 17:12

Because Jesus kept them... the reason why Judas perish was because Jesus didn't kept him because he was SON of perdition, not GOD's... and that happened so that the scripture might be fulfilled... so it had a purpose, was that purpose according to Judas will or GOD's?? GOD based is purpose on Judas free will? Don't you understand the nonsense you're saying?

What? You think Judas decided to betray Christ because he wanted the scripture to be fulfilled????

only Satan and his angels have
So what happened? Change of plans?

Veteran you are trying to hide the sun with a net.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sargento, I have tried to address all of your teachings and even broken down your posts, line by line, yet you still insist that I am not answering your questions.. You have the same criticism of other people you are talking with on this board - are you mistaking 'addressing and answering questions' with ' agreement of your ideas'?

S: Amazing... you discredit the all bible... why do bother to show you anything??

A: Actually, the very fact that I believe in absolute truth should tell you that I believe the message of the Bible. Conversely, you deny absolute truth, by denying the existence of a stable, undivided God. According to your understanding of God, He could become as evil as He wants to be and we would have to accept it as good. The result of such thinking is an unknowable God.

Also, I thought we were both here to have a discussion, not for me to sit at your feet and receive your teachings. Remember, you approached me first. If you are not here to have a discussion between equals than why are you here? If you are here to impart your teachings to us, without being open for feedback, how can you not see this as arrogant? I think it is humorous that you think I am being arrogant, when you are the person who is trying to teach new doctrine.

S: Nothing count's...

A: This comment tells me that you are terrified of anything less than a god who is ruthless; a god who has no problem manifesting his omnipotence without his mercy or goodness. Unfortunately, this is an example of Stockholm Syndrome - it is the survive reaction that kidnapped victims have towards their captures, which misinterpretes their captivity and abuse as protection. The faith and love God actually wants from us is not based on terror - He sent us the Holy Spirit to love us so that we could love Him and others - NOT to terrorize us with Hellfire and abusive, unstable treatment. Instead, our ability to love is rooted in the love of a knowable, stable God

S: (1)Your conclusion of all is that HE does not creates evil, (2)the rejection of Saul by the prophet is human perspective (3) (no wonder this generation kills the prophets), (4) GOD is limited in his choices, (5) HE is GOD for what HE does, etc... and many like these.

A:

1. God created the perfect pie and we made it imperfect by taking a big bite of it, right out of the middle. The cake still exists, but it is no longer perfect. This perspective takes nothing away from God's omnipotence.

2. Indeed. God used people to communicate His message to humanity. Did you think He reached His hand down and penned the Bible, like the 10 commandments?

3. People reject prophets because they were sent to remind God's leaders that like the 'Emperor With No Clothes', they sometimes demanded people under their power to re-interpret their tyranny as righteousness. Christians today should still listen to criticisms of our tyranny from people from inside and outside the faith; we need to remember Christ's example.

4. You mean, limited to only creating unbroken, or perfect creations? Yeah, I can live with that.

5. God is. There is no one more perfect, merciful, just, powerful, all knowing, or all present. He is love and the source of all love. His behavior does not make Him who He is; His behavior is dictated by His Good Character.

S: Of course what I ask you it its unimaginable... or if I show it to you it's probably in a human perspective... because if I show you that GOD does something you do not accept in HIM you'll harden your heart and pretend not to see.... so you can call yourself a believer without really believing in HIM.

A: I am not dismissing the Bible because it is written from man's perspective - God choose to communicate this way. The difference between our approach is that I read the OT through the lens of the NT - writer's in the OT did not have this vantage point. Jesus came to speak to us through the language of love, which, if you really look, is contained in the OT, but is overshadowed by the message of His omnipotence because the authors (who were in captivity in Babylon at the time) valued this aspect of God the most.

S: Aspen, you do not believe in GOD but you do not know it yet.

A: I see you have now given yourself the authority to decide that I am not a Christian based on my inability or unwillingness to share your opinions and perspective. Hopefully, you can see the futile arrogance of your position and repent.

S: I guess it's a waste of time showing you bible.

A: Here's the good news - you are not my authority; it is not your job to convict my heart or anyone else's. Conviction comes from the Holy Spirit, so perhaps you should get down from your pedestal and just have a conversation instead of doing the fundy-three-step, 'one-two-three! one-two-three! Inform-demand agreement-dismiss!'

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
It looks to me that plenty of people on this thread have zeal but lack tact and diplomacy. So sad.

Sargento

Jul 14, 2013
Aspen, you don't need to reply to every single phrase, what I need is just answers to what I ASK... answers to the QUESTIONS... that's all what I ask to you all.
I'm not saying that no one answers me because some do, but many don't...

This post you answered... well, it was just comments, I made you no questions in it... I wasn't even expecting answers, maybe comments but not answers since I made no questions.

However I have not complained now ... did I?
If I told you at any moment you were not answering it's because at that moment you were not answering... why did you brought this up now? What are your intentions with this?

Now, a question is for example:

If you (and others) have free will than you can decide to believe in what I say...
So prove me wrong now and believe in me.. decide to believe me... NOT PRETEND OR ACT LIKE YOU BELIEVE, BUT GENUINELY BELIEVE... do it just for a week, after it you can go back to your current faith.
Can you do this?
CAN YOU DECIDE WHAT TO BELIEVE OR STOP BELIEVING IN?

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Sargento said:
Veteran...
Judas only did what he did after the Devil toke over him (great free will) after Christ gave the order "do it".

And do you know why didn't the other perish?

While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
João 17:12

Because Jesus kept them... the reason why Judas perish was because Jesus didn't kept him because he was SON of perdition, not GOD's... and that happened so that the scripture might be fulfilled... so it had a purpose, was that purpose according to Judas will or GOD's?? GOD based is purpose on Judas free will? Don't you understand the nonsense you're saying?

What? You think Judas decided to betray Christ because he wanted the scripture to be fulfilled????

So what happened? Change of plans?

Veteran you are trying to hide the sun with a net.
Christ already KNEW Judas would betray Him. That... is the point of that Scripture. When Jesus is speaking of His Apostles that He kept there, Judas is being included in the first phrases. ONLY in that last phrase is Judas excluded!

I WELL understand how God can 'harden' the wicked to cause His Will to be done. He does NOT do that with ALL wicked, and that is absolute proof that your Calvinist fate doctrine is WRONG.

Likewise with the couple in Acts that promised to sell all and give it to the Church, but secretly held some back, and were struck dead by The Holy Spirit, they did that of their own free will. God did not cause them to do it just to give us that example.

Furthermore, you have failed... to understand that ONLY Satan and his angels have been judged and sentenced already to 'perish' in the future "lake of fire" event of Rev.20. None other, not even Judas, has been judged by Christ Jesus to perish yet. If you don't... understand that, then you worship a different 'god' than my GOD YHVH and His Son Jesus Christ.

Sargento

Jul 14, 2013
The point is not the HE knew, of course HE knew, HE knows all, but that makes no point, the point is that Judas betrayed Jesus so that the scripture might be fulfilled... and what you're doing is trying to divert attention from this with something obvious hopping that somehow it can mean the opposite of what is written.
Judas was excluded before he was even born by the scripture, in that last phrase when Christ gave the order allowing the Devil to toke over he just fulfill his destiny, but amazingly you ignore it all and focus on your own point which doesn't mean anything.

Trust me I'm not Calvinist... from what I've heard of him it seems that he was my brother, an elect, but I didn't knew him, nor I know what is true or what is fake about what people say about him. You're talking with a Christian, not a Calvinist.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Sargento said:
You're talking with a Christian, not a Calvinist.
Sargernto, that above-quoted statement of yours can be interpreted in a bad way.
Perhaps, you meant to say that you are an Arminian, not a Calvinist.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sargento said:
Aspen, you don't need to reply to every single phrase, what I need is just answers to what I ASK... answers to the QUESTIONS... that's all what I ask to you all.

This post you answered... well, it was just comments, I made you no questions in it... I wasn't even expecting answers, maybe comments but not answers since I made no questions.

If I told you at any moment you were not answering it's because at that moment you were not answering... why did you brought this up now? What are your intentions with this?

If you (and others) have free will than you can decide to believe in what I say...
So prove me wrong now and believe in me.. decide to believe me... NOT PRETEND OR ACT LIKE YOU BELIEVE, BUT GENUINELY BELIEVE... do it just for a week, after it you can go back to your current faith.
Can you do this?
here is the problem; your understanding of God is ONLY omnipotent; unfortunately a god that can determine good and evil whenever He likes, makes him unknowable. In essence, believing in your god for a week would require me to recognize a dictator, who is unpredictable and then, on moral grounds reject him - the result would be to spend the week as more than just an atheist, but rather an anti-theist.

I am not being willfully difficult, I am telling you the honest truth.

Your concept of god is unknowable, unpredictable, and lately - no longer all powerful because the book of James was included in his word. To follow him would be to reject the knowable, omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, good and loving God I already know.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
aspen2 said:
here is the problem; your understanding of God is ONLY omnipotent; unfortunately a god that can determine good and evil whenever He likes, makes him unknowable. In essence, believing in your god for a week would require me to recognize a dictator, who is unpredictable and then, on moral grounds reject him - the result would be to spend the week as more than just an atheist, but rather an anti-theist.

I am not being willfully difficult, I am telling you the honest truth.

Your concept of god is unknowable, unpredictable, and lately - no longer all powerful because the book of James was included in his word. To follow him would be to reject the knowable, omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, good and loving God I already know.
In Exodus 4:11, God says to Moses, "Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord?"

So, God said that He makes some people deaf, some people mute and some people blind.

In Isaiah 55:8-9, God says the following about Himself:

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Does what God said about Himself fit into your concept of God?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Sargento said:

Can you do this?
Children do this all the time, believing anything they are told. The only reason people don't blow to and fro like a leaf in the wind is if they are anchored. Some are anchored in their emotions, others in their desires, and many in some earthly authority. Few are left who fear the Lord, and make that the foundation for their understanding.

It is written, Psalm 111:10 "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.”

Free will enables me to change my mind, but wisdom warns me not to.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
lforrest said:
Free will enables me to change my mind, but wisdom warns me not to.
It appears to me that the above-quoted statement is somewhat inaccurate.
I'll use the following analogy to explain what I mean.

My 12-year-old son has a closet full of clothes.
Each morning, he chooses which clothes in his closet to wear.
Thus, free will enables him to choose what he wears.
However, there is a catch.
My son's daily choice of clothing is limited to the clothes in his closet.
His free will is limited to a certain set of choices.

When we make our choices, we are exercising what free will that God has granted to us.
However, God has the authority and the ability to set limits on our choices.
Being that we aren't all-knowing like God is, we may not even be aware of the limits on our choices that God has established.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Dodo_David said:
It appears to me that the above-quoted statement is somewhat inaccurate.
I'll use the following analogy to explain what I mean.

My 12-year-old son has a closet full of clothes.
Each morning, he chooses which clothes in his closet to wear.
Thus, free will enables him to choose what he wears.
However, there is a catch.
My son's daily choice of clothing is limited to the clothes in his closet.
His free will is limited to a certain set of choices.

When we make our choices, we are exercising what free will that God has granted to us.
However, God has the authority and the ability to set limits on our choices.
Being that we aren't all-knowing like God is, we may not even be aware of the limits on our choices that God has established.
I see your point and agree. God does limit our choices.

I can't just decide that I'm going to cure cancer and go do it. It would take a great deal of inspiration.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dodo_David said:
In Exodus 4:11, God says to Moses, "Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord?"

So, God said that He makes some people deaf, some people mute and some people blind.

In Isaiah 55:8-9, God says the following about Himself:

Does what God said about Himself fit into your concept of God?
David, I like your website and many of your ideas, but I am not sure where you stand on scripture and the church fathers. If you want to understand where I am coming from on this issue, you might want to check out my posts on the last few freewill related posts. If you want to talk more afterwards, you can message me :)

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Sargento said:
The point is not the HE knew, of course HE knew, HE knows all, but that makes no point, the point is that Judas betrayed Jesus so that the scripture might be fulfilled... and what you're doing is trying to divert attention from this with something obvious hopping that somehow it can mean the opposite of what is written.
Judas was excluded before he was even born by the scripture, in that last phrase when Christ gave the order allowing the Devil to toke over he just fulfill his destiny, but amazingly you ignore it all and focus on your own point which doesn't mean anything.

Trust me I'm not Calvinist... from what I've heard of him it seems that he was my brother, an elect, but I didn't knew him, nor I know what is true or what is fake about what people say about him. You're talking with a Christian, not a Calvinist.
I don't hold Calvin responsible for many of today's later doctrines that originated from the crept in unawares among many seminaries. I hold later groups that took portions of his ideas and others and created many of today's weak doctrines about the idea of predestination and election.

And by the way, Judas is NOT judged yet. Neither are the beast kings of OT history that were against Israel.

Sargento

Jul 14, 2013
Dodo...
Dodo_David said:
Sargernto, that above-quoted statement of yours can be interpreted in a bad way.
Perhaps, you meant to say that you are an Arminian, not a Calvinist.
No, I really meant what I wrote...
Now, if that can be interpreted in a bad way, well, everything can, but that I can't avoid... what I can do is clarify questions about what I really meant.

No, I'm not an Arminian... Just Christian... If Calvin followed this same doctrine than he's a Christian too... but I do not follow him, I follow Christ.

Aspen...

unfortunately a god that can determine good and evil whenever He likes, makes him unknowable.
Not to who thinks like HIM... and this is your issue.

Iforrest...

Children???
No they don't, they just believe want we make them believe and that is not deciding what to believe but it is to be convinced of something. You can lead them to believe in anything you want... is that your argument in favor of free will? Children?
Aren't you confusing "being manipulated" with " having free will"?

Answer me because I asked you, not children... CAN YOU DECIDE WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN?

VETERAN...

Judas is not judged? So he can still be saved?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Sargento said:
Children???
No they don't, they just believe want we make them believe and that is not deciding what to believe but it is to be convinced of something. You can lead them to believe in anything you want... is that your argument in favor of free will? Children?
Aren't you confusing "being manipulated" with " having free will"?

Answer me because I asked you, not children... CAN YOU DECIDE WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN?
Yes, children... They are people too, ones not yet jaded by the world pushing conflicting agendas. If even one person can decide what they believe it proves free will exists, I don't need to make myself the subject when a more simplistic proof exists. No one opens up your brain and implants a belief, there is always a choice.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Sargento said:
VETERAN...

Judas is not judged? So he can still be saved?
You're starting... to get it.

NO flesh born man has been judged to perish in the future "lake of fire" yet today, period.

How do we KNOW that? Simply because the requirement for ALL men to appear before the Judgment Seat of Christ Jesus has NOT happenned yet today! And furthermore, the destruction of the wicked is not until the END of Christ's future "thousand years" reign per Rev.20.

It is very revealing to me that you did not know this per God's Holy Writ, for how some today love to go around speaking condemnation like they already know which people are going to perish in the lake of fire and who is not.

Sargento

Jul 14, 2013
Iforrest...
lforrest said:
Yes, children... They are people too, ones not yet jaded by the world pushing conflicting agendas. If even one person can decide what they believe it proves free will exists, I don't need to make myself the subject when a more simplistic proof exists. No one opens up your brain and implants a belief, there is always a choice.
You have not proven nothing yet...

So the fact that children are easily MANIPULATED and believe anything you want them to believe proves free will in them?? The decision was not theirs, was yours! They believe because they cannot fight your arguments, not because they want!
But ok, if this is your free-will, well, in that case you have it too ... GOD makes you believe in what HE wants you to believe... Is this the free will your defending to have?

The fact that exists a choice does not mean you can choose it.
Now tell me, if you see a blue car can you decide to believe that is red?
NOT PRETEND OR ACT LIKE IT, BUT GENUINELY BELIEVE IT JUST BECAUSE YOU DECIDE TO!

There's 2 options, can you choose them both?

I wait for your answers!

VETERAN...

You're starting... to get it.

NO flesh born man has been judged to perish in the future "lake of fire" yet today, period.

How do we KNOW that? Simply because the requirement for ALL men to appear before the Judgment Seat of Christ Jesus has NOT happenned yet today! And furthermore, the destruction of the wicked is not until the END of Christ's future "thousand years" reign per Rev.20.

It is very revealing to me that you did not know this per God's Holy Writ, for how some today love to go around speaking condemnation like they already know which people are going to perish in the lake of fire and who is not.

Am I?
So why do some await that judgement in flames (like the rich) and others in paradise (like Lazarus)?

Why is it that only the ones who were not in the book of life were judged?

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is {the book} of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. {hell: or, the grave}
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Rev 20:12-15

Where are the living (the ones in the book of life) judged here?

Even Jesus predicted this...

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth him that sent me, hath eternal life, and cometh not into judgment, but hath passed out of death into life.
John 5:24

Whoever does not believe he's saved will be indeed judged by it's works... and you can see how many were find innocent...none.

Because If you do not believe you have eternal life you are in this condition:

If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for the witness of God is this, that he hath borne witness concerning his Son.
He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in him: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he hath not believed in the witness that God hath borne concerning his Son.
And the witness is this, that God gave unto us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
He that hath the Son hath the life; he that hath not the Son of God hath not the life.
These things have I written unto you, that ye may know that ye have eternal life, [even] unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God.
1 John 5:9-13

Because the message is that HE gave us eternal life, however not all can believe in HIM.

About the "thousand years"... we'll talk about it later in another topic.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I was hopping you could answer my questions, not make more thoughts ignoring mine ... but it's ok. I'll answer these too.
I did not ignore you Sargento...I answered your question....

The separation of sheep from the goats is the separation of two different species ... sons of GOD from sons of Devil.... none of them choose to be what it is.
This will happen in the last day because until there all of them look alike.
You missed the point of this verse.... :huh:

Shalom!!!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Sargento said:
VETERAN...

Am I?
So why do some await that judgement in flames (like the rich) and others in paradise (like Lazarus)?

Why is it that only the ones who were not in the book of life were judged?

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is {the book} of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. {hell: or, the grave}
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Rev 20:12-15

Where are the living (the ones in the book of life) judged here?

Even Jesus predicted this...

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth him that sent me, hath eternal life, and cometh not into judgment, but hath passed out of death into life.
John 5:24

Whoever does not believe he's saved will be indeed judged by it's works... and you can see how many were find innocent...none.

Because If you do not believe you have eternal life you are in this condition:

If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for the witness of God is this, that he hath borne witness concerning his Son.
He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in him: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he hath not believed in the witness that God hath borne concerning his Son.
And the witness is this, that God gave unto us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
He that hath the Son hath the life; he that hath not the Son of God hath not the life.
These things have I written unto you, that ye may know that ye have eternal life, [even] unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God.
1 John 5:9-13

Because the message is that HE gave us eternal life, however not all can believe in HIM.

About the "thousand years"... we'll talk about it later in another topic.
Well, maybe not then, you are not... starting to get it.

But good luck thinking you already know who is going to perish in the future "lake of fire" besides Satan and his angels which have already been judged and sentenced. By such thinking you must not be aware that you place yourself in Christ's Seat as Judge by doing that.