Friendly Bible Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just woken up and catching up on the thread - great testimonies thanks - it will be interesting to see how we can together draw on Scripture to encourage others to enjoy this dimension of faith.
For starters, (Joh 10:27) My sheep hear my voice, and I know them and they follow me.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Can I just say how special it’s been to read What you have all conveyed. So many of the main threads get ruined and marred - i Kind of feel as if this thread is like a secluded table in a big coffee shop, it’s within the main shop but it’s a bit more private and you can trust to share more xx

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and I think there maybe sheep who cant hear the voice for reasons that I hope come out in study 2
And when we sometimes pray and seek God for his will...in real purpose
(Jer 29:12) You shall call on Me, and you shall go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.
(Jer 29:13) You shall seek Me and find Me, when you shall search for Me with all your heart.

The Supremacy of God's communication, is in love
1Co 13:1 If I speak with all the languages of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become like sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.

Reactions: Carl Emerson

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Just for some encouragement and affirmation as to how important sharing our testimony is....
KJV Revelation 12:10-11
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

A wise and inspired lady once said...
"We have nothing to fear for the future, except as we shall forget the way the Lord has led us, and His teaching in our past history".
Yes all good.

For the sake of understanding it is good to make the important distinction between the Living Word of God and the Scripture.

Many deliver the Scripture in a wrong spirit like Satan did at the temptation. The Scripture without the Holy Spirit is potentially deceptive.

Calling the Scripture the Living Word of God is incorrect unless the Holy Spirit is inspiring the hearer.

John must have been aware of this when He said "He who has an ear to hear what the Spirit is saying to the Churches." He knew some would not be given the grace to hear by the Holy Spirit when his letters were read.
KJV Isaiah 55:11
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
I agree. History has shown gross and blasphemous misuse of scripture to justify all manner of evils, from slavery to murder. Even prophets have dinner this, and thus we are told how to discern between the true and the false... By their fruits. The scripture in the hands of a true Spirit filled prophet will have the blessing of God and the fruits will be evident. Fruits of God accomplishing that purpose for which the word was directed. Fruits that will never, ever, contradict the rest of scripture, bring glory to man, compromise truth as it is in Jesus, or give any hint of encouragement to sin.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Just for some encouragement and affirmation as to how important sharing our testimony is....
KJV Revelation 12:10-11
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

A wise and inspired lady once said...
"We have nothing to fear for the future, except as we shall forget the way the Lord has led us, and His teaching in our past history".

KJV Isaiah 55:11
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
I agree. History has shown gross and blasphemous misuse of scripture to justify all manner of evils, from slavery to murder. Even prophets have dinner this, and thus we are told how to discern between the true and the false... By their fruits. The scripture in the hands of a true Spirit filled prophet will have the blessing of God and the fruits will be evident. Fruits of God accomplishing that purpose for which the word was directed. Fruits that will never, ever, contradict the rest of scripture, bring glory to man, compromise truth as it is in Jesus, or give any hint of encouragement to sin.

Yes - I keep thinking that when Paul went to Jerusalem, they didn't test his theology, in fact Peter didn't seem to understand it, they heard the testimony of His fruitful ministry.

On forums I have asked 'teachers of the word' to talk about the fruits of their belief - silence.

It seems folks claim expertise in understanding the map, but have never walked in The WAY.

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes - I keep thinking that when Paul went to Jerusalem, they didn't test his theology, in fact Peter didn't seem to understand it, they heard the testimony of His fruitful ministry.

On forums I have asked 'teachers of the word' to talk about the fruits of their belief - silence.

It seems folks claim expertise in understanding the map, but have never walked in The WAY.
I think the fruits of Paul's ministry may not have been in people's perfect understanding of his theology, but with changed lives. In early Acts just after Pentecost, evidence of the veracity of the message was seen in the understanding of the Hebrew language by the many foreigners in the city, and then in the many numbers of those who were converted, but the greatest fruit is in change of character.
I cannot speak for anyone else. I have been ministering for many years in different forms. I believe God deliberately hides the level of influence I have had on others, in case I get proud and lose my connectedness to His Spirit. What I do see however is the effect upon myself, the changes He is making in me, and with that I am content.

Reactions: Azim

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I think the fruits of Paul's ministry may not have been in people's perfect understanding of his theology, but with changed lives. In early Acts just after Pentecost, evidence of the veracity of the message was seen in the understanding of the Hebrew language by the many foreigners in the city, and then in the many numbers of those who were converted, but the greatest fruit is in change of character.
I cannot speak for anyone else. I have been ministering for many years in different forms. I believe God deliberately hides the level of influence I have had on others, in case I get proud and lose my connectedness to His Spirit. What I do see however is the effect upon myself, the changes He is making in me, and with that I am content.

Appreciate your caution, but note that Paul was quite forth coming about the impact of his ministry when asked.

At the same time I am aware of matters best left unknown in this regard unless the Spirit specifically give leave to share same.

However I am also aware that folks assume the role of teacher on forums without the evidence of the transforming power of the Spirit in their own lives or those touched through them, and in many cases don't even believe in it.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, here's one of many personal testimonies that my wife can provide, of how God has spoke to her in her life by her sincere prayers.

After 4 years of wanting a baby after we first got married, one day became very special to my wife, Diane, and then myself.

I was at work at the time, and before supper she said 'I was sitting and praying to God wanting answers and asking for a baby.' She told me she heard a very clear and distinct voice, a clear male voice coming from behind her shoulder, and told her clearly that she was now pregnant. And at that point she was physically normal without any signs of being pregnant, not missing any of her regular cyclical female events.

After a few days or after a week or so, she was expecting one of those M cycles to occur on time, and it didn't. First time in her life.

She set an appointment with a military doctor to run pregnancy tests. She was very pregnant indeed.

Now if that does not convince anyone that God does not just answer prayer, and actually responses in love, then I do not know what will.

Now this male voice could have been an angel of the LORD. Halleluiah!! amen

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, here's one of many personal testimonies that my wife can provide, of how God has spoke to her in her life by her sincere prayers.

After 4 years of wanting a baby after we first got married, one day became very special to my wife, Diane, and then myself.

I was at work at the time, and before supper she said 'I was sitting and praying to God wanting answers and asking for a baby.' She told me she heard a very clear and distinct voice, a clear male voice coming from behind her shoulder, and told her clearly that she was now pregnant. And at that point she was physically normal without any signs of being pregnant, not missing any of her regular cyclical female events.

After a few days or after a week or so, she was expecting one of those M cycles to occur on time, and it didn't. First time in her life.

She set an appointment with a military doctor to run pregnancy tests. She was very pregnant indeed.

Now if that does not convince anyone that God does not answer prayer and actually responses in love, then I do not know what will.

Now this male voice could have been an angel of the LORD. Halleluiah!! amen
Give God the glory!

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes and I think there maybe sheep who cant hear the voice for reasons that I hope come out in study 2
Looking forward to this , have some thoughts but will wait till we move on to study 2

Reactions: APAK

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Dear friends,

Who among you has a calling to intercessory prayer?

I have just learned tonight of a rare medical situation in the family which demands a tough decision.

As it is a private matter, please PM me for details.

• Sad
Reactions: APAK

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And when we sometimes pray and seek God for his will...in real purpose
(Jer 29:12) You shall call on Me, and you shall go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.
(Jer 29:13) You shall seek Me and find Me, when you shall search for Me with all your heart.

The Supremacy of God's communication, is in love
1Co 13:1 If I speak with all the languages of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become like sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.
Twice recently I have come across the words 'prayed earnestly' in my daily bible readings so I have been wondering and asking God so show me how to 'pray earnestly'. And looking it up I found there are a lot of passages which say much the same thing.

I don’t want formulas, I want a living relationship. By formulas I think what I mean is just saying words with no heart; 'babbling'; adopting a certain position at a certain time in a certain place but with no real connection with God. I want my heart involved at all levels. I want my Lord Jesus to captivate my heart. I want my prayers to come from my heart not my head. I want to pray in tongues more; I want to hear God speaking to me; I want the Holy Spirit to show me what to pray and help me reach that place of intimacy with my God; to lead me into a deeper relationship with him.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

One summer I bought a little wind chime for my back garden. It is only small and makes a very pretty sound when the wind blows on it. The first day I put it up my husband said he couldn't hear it, but there was quite a lot of background noise; a road sweeper in the back street and a neighbour operating some sort of machine. Through all that noise, unheard, the little chimes were ringing but we could only hear them when we were standing very close to them.

It was a life lesson and I realised that hearing God's voice is a bit like that. Sometimes there is so much going on in our lives that we can't hear him at all. And in order to do so we must move in closer. At other times it can be so quiet and peaceful that we hear the sound of the wind chimes, and the Holy Spirit, with no difficulty.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Twice recently I have come across the words 'prayed earnestly' in my daily bible readings so I have been wondering and asking God so show me how to 'pray earnestly'. And looking it up I found there are a lot of passages which say much the same thing.

I don’t want formulas, I want a living relationship. By formulas I think what I mean is just saying words with no heart; 'babbling'; adopting a certain position at a certain time in a certain place but with no real connection with God. I want my heart involved at all levels. I want my Lord Jesus to captivate my heart. I want my prayers to come from my heart not my head. I want to pray in tongues more; I want to hear God speaking to me; I want the Holy Spirit to show me what to pray and help me reach that place of intimacy with my God; to lead me into a deeper relationship with him.
You have gotten my attention, once more Pearl. You have just given me goose pimples all over me again. By reading your words here I sense a strong sense of genuine purpose in your quest, from your heart. I thank you for sharing this about your prayer time to God.

If I, personally, do not sense my words and emotions are in alignment with God, not coming from my heart when I contemplate praying, if it's not spontaneous, I stop and quit. I want as you do, to be sincere and humble in knowing the Spirit within me is helping me to express myself to God. I want to be genuine, confident and contrite in humbleness in my approach to God. I think all who are in true saving faith want as you and I, to know we are pleasing to God in our relationship with him.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We should pray in the same manner as we would share confidences with our best friend. No need for putting on airs and graces. Prayer is actually very simple. Honest. Real. Sometimes raw and emotional. But never goes unheeded. The following is an excerpt from the preface to a book called "Prayer".

We have come to serious times. Events in our world call upon every follower of Christ to be totally in earnest in our relationship with God. To strengthen this relationship and satisfy our emotional and spiritual needs, we must learn the power of prayer. We must plead with the Lord, like the disciples of old, saying, "Lord, teach us to pray."
That God is willing and ready to hear and to respond to our heartfelt prayers under all circumstances is profoundly reassuring. He is a loving Father who is interested both when things are going well and when the vicissitudes of life deal us devastating, tough, and terrible blows. When we feel like crying out, "God, where are You?" It is good to know that He is just a prayer away.
One writer has said, "More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of." It is also true of the church. "A revival of true Godliness among us is the greatest and most urgent of all our needs. To seek this should be our first work" . God will do things for us when we pray that He will not do if we do not pray
We acknowledge that we need the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. But this can be accomplished only as we pray individually and collectively. When God's people pray earnestly, sincerely, individually, and collectively, God will answer. Great things will happen in and among God's people. And the world will feel the impact as the Holy Spirit comes to equip and empower His people.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have gotten my attention, once more Pearl. You have just given me goose pimples all over me again. By reading your words here I sense a strong sense of genuine purpose in your quest, from your heart. I thank you for sharing this about your prayer time to God.

If I, personally, do not sense my words and emotions are in alignment with God, not coming from my heart when I contemplate praying, if it's not spontaneous, I stop and quit. I want as you do, to be sincere and humble in knowing the Spirit within me is helping me to express myself to God. I want to be genuine, confident and contrite in humbleness in my approach to God. I think all who are in true saving faith want as you and I, to know we are pleasing to God in our relationship with him.

Could earnest praying be connected to our emotions? Pray with emotion, pray with, passion?

A mother who sees a big dog attacking their child will pray more earnestly than someone else who just prays for the child in general, right?

Reactions: Pearl and APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could earnest praying be connected to our emotions? Pray with emotion, pray with, passion?

A mother who sees a big dog attacking their child will pray more earnestly than someone else who just prays for the child in general, right?
The are different prayers or expressions to God. Yes, one type of effective prayer are those with a dire or real need.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Dear friends,

Who among you has a calling to intercessory prayer?

I have just learned tonight of a rare medical situation in the family which demands a tough decision.

As it is a private matter, please PM me for details.
@Carl Emerson Even though I don't know the nature of the rare medical situation you mentioned, I do know that God knows so I have prayed this afternoon.

• Love
Reactions: Carl Emerson

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The are different prayers or expressions to God. Yes, one type of effective prayer are those with a dire or real need.

It worked for me! When I saw in my rearview mirror that I was losing consciousness, I said, Lord be with me. And a more fervant prayer I had never made! He answered and saved me! Glory to God !!

• Love
Reactions: Pearl and APAK