Genesis - Questions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, so I have decided to read the bible to cover to cover each day. I'm in Genesis and have some questions... (KJV)

Genesis 1:6 - And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
Genesis 1:20 - And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
Question - The firmament divides the waters but in 20 the firmament in open? Just curious about how the firmament works to visually understand this.

Genesis 4:15 - And the Lord said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the Lord set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
Question - What was the mark upon Cain? a scar? change of skin colour? hair colour?

Genesis 5:24 - And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
Question - I'm understanding that Enoch did not die but was taken by God into heaven / where God is, why? Why was Enoch taken into heaven by God? And how did this happen? And how can a body of flesh dwell outside of our world?

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always recommend the NLT bible to read the Old Testament first, then read the KJV bible.

Genesis 1:6-8 - Then God said, “Let there be a space between the waters, to separate the waters of the heavens from the waters of the earth.” 7 And that is what happened. God made this space to separate the waters of the earth from the waters of the heavens. 8 God called the space “sky.”

As you can see that the firmament is the sky. This answers Genesis 1:20.

Question 2 - No one Knows.

Question 3 - Matthew 19:26 - Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.”

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I always recommend the NLT bible to read the Old Testament first, then read the KJV bible.

Genesis 1:6-8 - Then God said, “Let there be a space between the waters, to separate the waters of the heavens from the waters of the earth.” 7 And that is what happened. God made this space to separate the waters of the earth from the waters of the heavens. 8 God called the space “sky.”

As you can see that the firmament is the sky. This answers Genesis 1:20.

Question 2 - No one Knows.

Question 3 - Matthew 19:26 - Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.”
Thank you for answering,

Question 1 - So my understanding is the firmament is a barrier, like a dome? And it says waters of heaven, I'm envisioning that if the firmament were open, water would come through from heaven?
Question 3 - Is there no particular reason why Enoch is taken into the heavens? And if he was chosen for this, why would books Enoch 1-3 be removed from the bible?

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for answering,

Question 1 - So my understanding is the firmament is a barrier, like a dome? And it says waters of heaven, I'm envisioning that if the firmament were open, water would come through from heaven?
Question 3 - Is there no particular reason why Enoch is taken into the heavens? And if he was chosen for this, why would books Enoch 1-3 be removed from the bible?
1) The "firmament" is translated by other versions as "expanse" or "vault". It's referring to the sky (which, let's face it, looks like a dome). In ancient cosmology, rainwater came "through" the firmament from above. But with modern scientific knowledge, all this becomes poetic 'picture language'.
3) We are told that Enoch was taken away by God because he "walked with God", i.e. led a godly life (Genesis 5:22). The books of Enoch are not believed to be actually written by Enoch (how could they be? - when he was alive, writing hadn't been invented!). They weren't "removed from" the Bible because they were never in it.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello everyone, so I have decided to read the bible to cover to cover each day. I'm in Genesis and have some questions... (KJV)

Genesis 1:6 - And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
Genesis 1:20 - And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
Question - The firmament divides the waters but in 20 the firmament in open? Just curious about how the firmament works to visually understand this.

Genesis 4:15 - And the Lord said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the Lord set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
Question - What was the mark upon Cain? a scar? change of skin colour? hair colour?

Genesis 5:24 - And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
Question - I'm understanding that Enoch did not die but was taken by God into heaven / where God is, why? Why was Enoch taken into heaven by God? And how did this happen? And how can a body of flesh dwell outside of our world?

#2 Unknown?
#3 God took HIm. Because H ewanted to!
#1 firmament is raqia which we would call our atmosphere. While they did not have the scientific knowledge we have to day, they in simple language defined our multilayered atmosphere.

Raqia means a stretched out expanse and vault. Which describes our atmosphere. It is considered to have a solid layer we call the exosphere or uppermost layer of our atmosphere. Since space trave3l we have learned that to renenter earths atmosphere, a space ship must enter at the precise angle or will bounce off the exosphere and be hurled back into space! Almost like hitting a brick wall!

Reactions: jessicaleks93