Gifts of the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So... Whats the use of praying? If we are going to discount the word of God with our unbelief we also make it of none effect.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I think there is a difference between the "signs and wonders" and "spiritual gifts". I think that the signs and wonders stopped during NT times, as witnessed by those who were sick and remained sick (not miraculously healed). But that the spiritual gifts are given for us until we attain our resurrection.

Love in Christ,
mark

What do you see as the spiritual gifts? According to Paul they are the nine listed in the OP.

So which of the spiritual gifts do you see as the "sign gifts"?

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Before I begin let us keep in mind that the word for Prophet or Prophecy really means to forthtell, to proclaim and to perceive. Although prophets at times would foretell the future, this was not there main focus. They were called to be the mouth piece of God, His proclaimers.
The following are the Gifts of the Godhead as listed in the Scriptures. Each list has the gift of prophecy, yet they differ one from the other because of their application and purpose.
Gifts from the Godhead
The Father Gifts The Son Gifts The Spirit Gifts
Romans 12:1-15 Ephesians 4:4-13 1Corinthians 12:1-14

Prophecy Apostle Listed in the OP
Serving Prophet
Teaching Evangelist
Exhorting Pastor
Giving Teacher
Ruling
Showing Mercy
The definition of these 3 lists is found in 1 Cor. (12:4-6).
Vv.4 “There are diversities of gifts (Manifestations), but the same Spirit.”
Vv 5 “There are differences of ministries (Administrations), but the same Lord.”
Vv 6 “And there are diversities of activities (Operations), but it is the same God who works all in all
These are gifts given by each member of the Trinity. The Gifts given by God the Father have been given the every human that has walked this planet. Seven gifts where God works all in all, as stated above. They are creational gifts that man will use either for the Kingdom of God or for their own selfish reasons.
We can operate in every one of the 7 gifts but there is one that is predominant and defines us as an individual. (Email me if you would like more details)
We see this dominant gift in the lives of every day people.
Prophecy (Proclaiming) "He can talk the hind legs of a donkey"
Server "There's nothing he wouldn't do."
Teacher "His head is always in the clouds" "There's no grey area for him."
Exhorter "There's not a negative bone in his body"
Giver He'd give you the shirt of his back."
Ruler "He's a born leader"
Shower of mercy "She wears her heart on her sleeve." Maybe you have better expressions. The fact is we possess all 7 gifts but seem to exibit one of them with great ease so much so that it defines us in our every day life and encounters with others. The percentage of each gift in combination in our lives is what truly makes us unique. The Father expects us to use all 7 gifts when needs arise. They are for use in the Body and for a hurting world.

Ephesian 4 Gifts are considered positional within the body. They are callings (Administrations) given by Jesus for the edification of the Church. They have a seven fold purpose:
Perfecting of the Saints
Work of the Ministry
Edifying the Body of Christ
Unity of Faith
Knowledge of the Son of God
A perfect man
Measure of the Stature of the Fullness of Christ.

The Corinthian gifts are manifestations given to us at the will of the Spirit. They are the signs and wonders that accompany the work of the ministry. The reason that they have become so rare is because of our lack of faith in them. It could also be because we would rather debate them than seek God’s face in order to have them released in our lives.

The Gift of Tongues is the initial evidence of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as seen many times in the book of Acts. It is a personal prayer language given by the Spirit for the edification of oneself, a language that is used when we do not know what to pray for. It is for private times with God and not public.
The Tongues mentioned in Corinthians are different manifestations given to the Body to profit all. This manifestation must also remain silent if there’s no interpretation. However if one feels that the Spirit is leading him to speak in Tongues, Paul says he should be prepared to also interpret. BTW interpretation does not mean literal translation. “Bonjour, mes amis” can be interpreted “Good day, friends” or “The Father bids everyone a wonderful day.”
An Interpretation depends on many things: Freshness of ones walk with God, Depth of Biblical knowledge, Ones own edification, Life richness, Background, Personality, etc.

Sorry the Gifts I listed do not align correctly under the Headings. Maybe someone can tell me how to set a <<TAB>> in these posts.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hello all,

I think that the signs and wonders stopped during NT times, as witnessed by those who were sick and remained sick (not miraculously healed).

Um.... are you saying, rather, that you, personally (whoever believes this) have not heard of any miracles in your lifetime?

Or are you saying that you do not know anyone with 'the gift of miracles'?

Or, if not with regard to healing, what do you define as 'signs and wonders'?

Thanks. :)

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
You have quoted the gifts (plural) and they are important. But the most important of all is not a part of the gifts, but it is the gift (singular).

Joh 4:10

Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

Act 2:38

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Act 10:45

And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Act 11:17

Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

Rom 5:16

And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

Eph 2:8

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

One can read all of the above and realize what the gift is, but the scripture below is the clearest.

Rom 6:23

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Rocky,

Thanks for laying out that study. I'll be looking our for 'gift' now, in a new way.