Giving up soemthing for lent

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

Single and only church there is no other. This CCC states and does not recognize any other church as being of Christ.

Paragraph 3. The Church Is One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic

811 "This is the sole Church of Christ, which in the Creed we profess to be one, holy, catholic and apostolic."[sup]256[/sup] These four characteristics, inseparably linked with each other,[sup]257[/sup] indicate essential features of the Church and her mission. The Church does not possess them of herself; it is Christ who, through the Holy Spirit, makes his Church one, holy, catholic, and apostolic, and it is he who calls her to realize each of these qualities.

812 Only faith can recognize that the Church possesses these properties from her divine source. But their historical manifestations are signs that also speak clearly to human reason. As the First Vatican Council noted, the "Church herself, with her marvelous propagation, eminent holiness, and inexhaustible fruitfulness in everything good, her catholic unity and invincible stability, is a great and perpetual motive of credibility and an irrefutable witness of her divine mission."[sup]258[/sup]

This one states there is no one else on earth greater than the Pope and his collage of Bishops.

The episcopal college and its head, the Pope. Please note 882 and 883

880 When Christ instituted the Twelve, "he constituted [them] in the form of a college or permanent assembly, at the head of which he placed Peter, chosen from among them."[sup]398[/sup] Just as "by the Lord's institution, St. Peter and the rest of the apostles constitute a single apostolic college, so in like fashion the Roman Pontiff, Peter's successor, and the bishops, the successors of the apostles, are related with and united to one another."[sup]399[/sup]

881 The Lord made Simon alone, whom he named Peter, the "rock" of his Church. He gave him the keys of his Church and instituted him shepherd of the whole flock.[sup]400[/sup] "The office of binding and loosing which was given to Peter was also assigned to the college of apostles united to its head."[sup]401[/sup] This pastoral office of Peter and the other apostles belongs to the Church's very foundation and is continued by the bishops under the primacy of the Pope.

882 The Pope, Bishop of Rome and Peter's successor, "is the perpetual and visible source and foundation of the unity both of the bishops and of the whole company of the faithful."[sup]402[/sup] "For the Roman Pontiff, by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ, and as pastor of the entire Church has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered."[sup]403[/sup]

883 "The college or body of bishops has no authority unless united with the Roman Pontiff, Peter's successor, as its head." As such, this college has "supreme and full authority over the universal Church; but this power cannot be exercised without the agreement of the Roman Pontiff."[sup]404[/sup]

884 "The college of bishops exercises power over the universal Church in a solemn manner in an ecumenical council."[sup]405[/sup] But "there never is an ecumenical council which is not confirmed or at least recognized as such by Peter's successor."[sup]406[/sup]

885 "This college, in so far as it is composed of many members, is the expression of the variety and universality of the People of God; and of the unity of the flock of Christ, in so far as it is assembled under one head."[sup]407[/sup]

<a name="886">886 "The individual bishops are the visible source and foundation of unity in their own particular Churches."[sup]408[/sup] As such, they "exercise their pastoral office over the portion of the People of God assigned to them,"[sup]409[/sup] assisted by priests and deacons. But, as a member of the episcopal college, each bishop shares in the concern for all the Churches.[sup]410[/sup] The bishops exercise this care first "by ruling well their own Churches as portions of the universal Church," and so contributing "to the welfare of the whole Mystical Body, which, from another point of view, is a corporate body of Churches."[sup]411[/sup] They extend it especially to the poor,[sup]412[/sup] to those persecuted for the faith, as well as to missionaries who are working throughout the world.

887 Neighboring particular Churches who share the same culture form ecclesiastical provinces or larger groupings called patriarchates or regions.[sup]413[/sup] The bishops of these groupings can meet in synods or provincial councils. "In a like fashion, the episcopal conferences at the present time are in a position to contribute in many and fruitful ways to the concrete realization of the collegiate spirit."[sup]414[/sup]

Well, of course, we believe that we are the Church that Christ built. Afterall, Christ built only ONE Church. He did not build 50,000 different churches with many different beliefs. He only built one Church, and Catholics have always believed that we are that Church simply because we are an apostolic Church. The Orthodox Church also believes that they are the Church that Christ built, and they are correct. They are also an Apostolic Church, and can trace their lineage to an Apostle. We, on the other hand, trace our lineage to the Apostle Peter while they trace their lineage to one of the other 12 Apostles. As I said, the Catholic and Orthodox doctrines are almost identical. However, I have no problem with an Orthodox Christian saying that his Church was founded by Christ despite the fact that they are not in communion with Rome. Afterall, St. Peter was not the only Apostle who built a Church through Christ. The Orthodox and Catholic are one especially since our doctrines are almost identical.

Is YOUR church founded by Christ through an Apostle?????? Most likely, no. But it does not matter. Why? Because as our Catechism says, all Christians make up ONE body of Christ despite that they deny the Pope's authority.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
That's cool info Selene... I'm stoked to hear a Catholic's perspective on the subject... I used to go to this church where the pastor was just constantly putting down Catholics... it's nice to actually hear a Catholics side of the story...

jacobtaylor

Feb 11, 2011
My...my...my...what a harsh tone you have. Something must surely be bothering you inside? What ails you, my brother? I was not accusing of being a liar. I was correcting you. You did say that Catholic list is longer and they are required to be saved? This is false, and I am merely CORRECTLY you with patience and kindness. According to CATHOLIC ANSWERS, this is what they stated and I included the website below:

Well this is uncalled for. You said

My brother, what you say here about Catholicism is false. You say the Catholic list is longer and they are required to be saved? I can tell you and even cite the Catechism of the Catholic Church stating that a person who did NOT have the sacrament of baptism can still have salvation (CCC #1259 - 1261).

You know as well as anyone reading this, these exceptions are way less than !% more like .000000000001% You would be hard pressed to find someone today that qualifies for the baptism of desire.
None the less the requirement still stands, the baptism of desire is still a VALID recognized baptism. Your trying to make the assumption its not a baptism. You are twisting your own churches teaching so you can atempt to paint he a lair or a false speaker in regards to your faith. You the one trying to distort the facts about your own faith.

Our conversation is over and I'll be reporting your mocking manner and accusation that I falsely misrepresented your faith.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Well this is uncalled for. You said

You know as well as anyone reading this, these exceptions are way less than !% more like .000000000001% You would be hard pressed to find someone today that qualifies for the baptism of desire.
None the less the requirement still stands, the baptism of desire is still a VALID recognized baptism. Your trying to make the assumption its not a baptism. You are twisting your own churches teaching so you can atempt to paint he a lair or a false speaker in regards to your faith. You the one trying to distort the facts about your own faith.

Our conversation is over and I'll be reporting your mocking manner and accusation that I falsely misrepresented your faith.

HUH? I never said that a "baptism of desire or blood" was not a baptism. I was correcting you because you implied that we must fulfill all sacraments in order to be saved, which is incorrect. There are people who have never been baptized and can still have salvation. When I cited the Catechism, it was pointing to a baptism of desire, not "water baptism."

Jacob, I stated: My brother, what you say here about Catholicism is false. When one calls you "my brother" that is not mocking....that is correcting with patience and kindness.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
That's cool info Selene... I'm stoked to hear a Catholic's perspective on the subject... I used to go to this church where the pastor was just constantly putting down Catholics... it's nice to actually hear a Catholics side of the story...

Thank you, Robbie, and I agree with Disciple. I seen nothing wrong with the fast. :)

jacobtaylor

Feb 11, 2011
HUH? I never said that a "baptism of desire or blood" was not a baptism. I was correcting you because you implied that we must fulfill all sacraments in order to be saved, which is incorrect. There are people who have never been baptized and can still have salvation. When I cited the Catechism, it was pointing to a baptism of desire, not "water baptism."

Jacob, I stated: My brother, what you say here about Catholicism is false. When one calls you "my brother" that is not mocking....that is correcting with patience and kindness.

Catholic answers forum thread,
No Salvation outside the Catholic Church
http://forums.cathol...ad.php?t=528668

Interesting I found the CCC on baptism as well in post 10.
I won't bother finding a thread about baptism its right there in CCC 846

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337

848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338

Are you implying some one here is putting down Catholics?
I'm simply posting fact selene apparently doesn't know about his faith. Thats hardly putting them down. The only reason Im in such detail now is because selene disagrees with my comments as you can see its not a put down its simply what is taught. Don't you like knowing the truth? Im not simply going to believe selene Im going to check it out.

Did you read the thread about no salvation outside the RCC? Its not even a question its a forgone conclusion. There asking how to present it to a protestant.

Post 1
Una Veritas;7470853 said:
Does anyone have a good analogy to help explain "No Salvation outside the Catholic Church?"

I'm trying to explain this to a Protestant.

Thanks!! :)

Post 2
Barbkw;7471005 said:
This is a Catholic instruction - written by a Catholic - for Catholics.

It is not a Catholic instruction written to instruct protestant denominations.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

Catholic answers forum thread,
No Salvation outside the Catholic Church
http://forums.cathol...ad.php?t=528668

Interesting I found the CCC on baptism as well in post 10.
I won't bother finding a thread about baptism its right there in CCC 846

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337

848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338

My brother, first of all, anyone who reads the Catholic Answers weblinks will find that the phrase does not mean that non-Catholics are not saved. As a matter of fact, this is what the Catholics in Catholics Answers even stated. Now, let us take a closer look at what you posted.

1. You posted the Catechism #846, which states:
846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?[sup]335[/sup] Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Okay.....so it says that salvation comes from Christ, the Head through the Church, which is His Body. Do you believe that Salvation comes from Christ alone? I'm sure you do. Do you believe that Christ is the Head of the Church? I'm sure you do. If you do not believe that Christ is the Head of the Church, then please refer to the Scripture in the Bible that does say that Christ is the Head of the Church (See 1 Ephesians 5:23 and Col. 1:18). Do you believe that the Church is the Body of Christ? I'm sure you do. If you do not believe that the Church is the Body of Christ, then please refer to the Scripture in that Bible that says the Church is the Body of Christ (See Col. 1:24). So, I don't see what is wrong with the Catechism saying that "Salvation comes from Christ, the Head through the Church which is His body." We believe that Christ is the Head of our Church and because salvation comes only from Christ, then it stands to reason that salvation comes from the Head of our Church, who is Christ.

Do you believe that Christ is the Head of YOUR church? If you believe that, then you should be able to understand that salvation can come from Christ through the Church whom He is also Head of. If you are a Christian Church, you should believe that Christ is the Head of your church and is even present in your church. We are a Christian Church; therefore, we believe it. We certainly do not believe that Christ is the Head of the Buddhist temple. We also do not believe that salvation can come through a Buddhist temple. Why? Because Christ is not the Head of any Buddhist temple. Now let us take a look at the rest of what you posted:

This comes from the Catechism and merely explains why the Church is necessary for salvation. Why? Because Christ (who is salvation) makes Himself present in the Church. He promised to be with His Church until the end of the world and He sent the Holy Spirit to His Church. Do you not believe that Christ is present in your Church? We do. If you believe that Christ is present in your church, then you would also believe that your church can bring salvation because God Himself (who is salvation) is also there.

For thousands of year, we have always claimed to be the Church that Christ built through the Apostle Peter. However, that does not mean that we are better than any Christian. Christ did build a Church....that is true. And that Church still exists today. God's Church did not cease to exist. How do we know? We know because in the Bible it says that Jesus promised to be with His Church until the end of the world (See Matthew 28:20). You may not know who this Church is today. But we know that this Church exist today because Christ does not lie when He told His Church that He will be with them until the end of the world. It is not the end of the world yet; therefore, His Church still exist.

It bothers you to see in our Catechism that we are claiming to be that Church that Christ built. And why should that bother you, my brother? Our Catechism already says that you are already joined together with us despite the fact that you deny the Pope his authority.

Below is another one that you posted from our Catechism:

As you can see from CCC #847, it states that even those who have never heard of Christ and His Church may even achieve eternal salvation. Imagine that! Do you know why the Church believes that even those who don't know Christ and the Catholic Church can have eternal salvation? It is because on the cross, Jesus forgave even the Roman soldiers (who were pagans). The Roman soldiers who crucified Christ were ignorant of who He is. They did not know that He was God incarnate, but Jesus forgave them anyway because they were ignorant. "Father forgive them for they know not what they do." We are not the ones who judges who goes to Hell or Heaven. Christ is the judge and He can have mercy on whomever He wants. :) God bless!

In Christ,
Selene

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Lent is going to start this week and I was wondering what people hee do for Lent.

I myself will be going to two Lent groups; one in my Parish and an ecumenical one led by the local Baptist Pastor. It will be kind of like a Bible study group, but focussed on Lent. Oh and I'll be doing the Bible study as well, where we examine the readings from the lectionary that week.

I've given up chocolate and beer for lent iin the past but I don't want to give something up just for the sake of it, I'd like it to mean something.

Oh, one last thing. Is it true if you give up something for Lent, Sunday's don't count.

I have decided to give up my rest and relaxation after work. So, instead of R&R, I will go to Church everyday after working hours to listen to the Word of God more instead of coming home after work and crashing on the couch. :)

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
New Hampshire's North Woods
Yes its easy to find fault with a church or any individual for that matter. What people need to realize is they will someday have to give an account for what they has done as well as what they believe.
If we are judged by what we believe we would all be in the pit. In Philipian's 1 Paul was able to rejoice that Christ was being preached even though Christ was being preached improperly and incorrectly or with wrong motives.

Philippians 1:14  And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.

15  Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:

16  The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:

17  But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.

18  What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

Roman influence on Protestants?
Sure it has, since the beginning the RCC outlawed all other religions in Rome and enforced the RCC alone. The very foundation of the RCC rest on it outlawing all opposition. Now thats not influence by choice. And there are clear truthful biblical teachings from the RCC as well, and none of them are questioned by anyone that agrees.

Did you have something to add to the talking points here, or were you simply casting a vote for the RCC?

I'm casting my vote for the RCC for Lent being an honorable and biblical practice as I did in a previous reply.

My point is this. 1st century Rome has been branded as the beast for the crucifixion of Christ, the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple, and severe persecution. The atrocities commited by Rome during the reformation also fueled the Protestant mindset that Rome was heretical, the prophecied beast of Revelation, the harlot, the false prophet etc...
I can understand how the Protestant's would be inclined to believe that Rome would also emerged as the end-times beast, but that was only speculation. Rome's past and the preconceived Protestant mindset that followed did influence their translations and teachings. The attitude of unity and oneness was considered bad so Christian unification was slandered and suppressed because Protestant's believe that Rome was heretical, the beast, and would unite the church or the world's religion's. Protestant teachings have certainly been influenced by the RCC's past and some prejudisms still exist today. Even today I can walk into some Protestant (fundamentalist) churches and here lots of bad things about other Billy Graham, Pentecostal's, Mormon's and JW's etc.

People can complain about the Catholic's all they want. I like tradition, the sacraments, the rituals, and Catholic's Churches and statues. It doesn't mean I pray or worship them and neither does any other Catholic I know. We are there because we are Christian's walking the same road you are. We all visit one anothers churches where I live. If you want to be spiritually moved someday go to a Catholic stations of the Cross.

As for similar creeds your going to have produce a list. Most Protestant churches have 2 or 3 baptism, communion, for some speaking in tongs. Most don't require them for salvation as well. The catholic list is longer and they are required to be saved.
The Creeds of the Catholic church are...

THE APOSTLE'S CREED has been handed down to us from the Apostles themselves, hence the name. It is the shortest of the three creeds, and undoubtedly the best known, as it is the simplest profession of the Catholic and Apostolic Faith. The Apostle's Creed contains all the articles the other ones have, though in a very simplified form. This is the Creed which forms the basis for our Catechisms...

I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended to the dead. On the third day he rose again. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

THE CREED OF NICAEA (325)... This was the original Nicene Creed. It was revised and finalized at the Council of Constantinople in 381...
We believe in one God the Father All-sovereign, maker of all things. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, begotten of the Father, only-begotten, that is, of the substance of the Father, God of God, Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten not made, of one substance with the Father, through whom all things were made, things in heaven and things on the earth; who for us men and for our salvation came down and was made flesh, and became man, suffered, and rose on the third day, ascended into the heavens, and is coming to judge living and dead. And in the Holy Spirit. And those that say 'There was when he was not,' and, 'Before he was begotten he was not,' and that, 'He came into being from what-is-not,' or those that allege, that the son of God is 'Of another substance or essence' or 'created,' or 'changeable' or 'alterable,' these the Catholic and Apostolic Church anathematizes.

THE NICENE CREED (more properly called the Nicene-Constantinople Creed), came to us in its final form from the great Council of Constantinople in 381. This is the Creed which Catholics recite at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass...

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen. We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven. By the power of the Holy Spirit he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary, and was made man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate, he suffered death and was buried. On the third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures. He ascended in heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father [and the Son]. With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

"The Muslim Brotherhood’s creed is:

‘God is our objective; the Koran is our law; the Prophet is our leader; jihad is our way; and death for the sake of Allah is the highest of our aspirations.’"

jacobtaylor

Feb 11, 2011
My brother, first of all, anyone who reads the Catholic Answers weblinks will find that the phrase " No Salvation outside the Catholic Church" does not mean that non-Catholics are not saved. As a matter of fact, this is what the Catholics in Catholics Answers even stated. Now, let us take a closer look at what you posted.

Selene I can't prove your deliberately being untruthful or you really don't know what your own church teaches. Non the less maybe you'll believe the Pope.
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...can-church.html

My...my...my...what a harsh tone you have. Something must surely be bothering you inside? What ails you, my brother? I was not accusing you of being a liar. I was correcting you.

Catholic Church only true church, Vatican says

The Vatican issued a document Tuesday restating its belief that the Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

The 16-page document was prepared by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, a doctrinal watchdog that Pope Benedict used to head.

pope-cp-3238216.jpg
Pope Benedict XVI was elected Pope in April 2005.
(Plinio Lepri/Associated Press)
Formulated as five questions and answers, the document is titled "Responses to Some Questions Regarding Certain Aspects of the Doctrine on the Church."

It says although Orthodox churches are true churches, they are defective because they do not recognize the primacy of the Pope.

"It follows that these separated churches and communities, though we believe they suffer from defects, are deprived neither of significance nor importance in the mystery of salvation," it said.

The document adds that Protestant denominations — called Christian Communities born out of the Reformation — are not true churches, but ecclesial communities.

"These ecclesial communities which, specifically because of the absence of the sacramental priesthood … cannot, according to Catholic doctrine, be called 'churches' in the proper sense," it said.

The document is similar to one written in 2000 by the Pope — who was Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger at the time — that sparked an angry reaction from Protestant groups.

"I suspect there will be some reactions that are rather passionate," said Raphaela Schmid, director of the Becket Institute, a group that advocates religious freedom. "I hope they will not be angry because we all try to understand about each other."

The document is issued by Benedict's successor in doctrinal matters, Cardinal William Levada, and endorsed by the Pope, said Reuters.

The decree comes days after liberal Catholic and Jewish groups spoke out against the Pope's move to authorize the wider use of a traditional Latin mass.

The Tridentine mass includes a prayer for the conversion of Jews. Its use was restricted following the Second Vatican Council from 1962 to 1965.

Pope Benedict issued a decree last week authorizing its broader use in an effort to reconcile with followers of an ultratraditional excommunicated bishop.

The Jewish Anti-Defamation League in New York called it a "body blow to Catholic-Jewish relations."

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
This opinion from the Catholic Church is nothing new.

And it is just as wrong now as ever.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
This opinion from the Catholic Church is nothing new.

And it is just as wrong now as ever.

The Fundamentalist Baptist use to say they were the only true church and were the only ones that were saved, and up until the late 60's they wouldn't allow African American's into BJU.

The JW's believe they're the only true church.

Regardless what people think of the RCC, they aren't a threat to Israel, Christian's, or the world.

People like John MacArthur is so bent on demonizing the RCC that I would rather not be associated with anything having to do with him. He gets too offensive and has nothing good to say about Catholic's or Pentecostal's, and has nothing at all to say about Islam. I don't think we should be slandering one anothers church. What kind of witness is that to unbelievers if all they see is the church slandering one another? That's one reason why people avoid church like the plague!
Guess what happens if a Muslim slanders Islam? OUCH!

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
I avoid it because most church pastors have no idea what they are talking about.

I hear you. We have a local channel that broadcast Sunday services of local churches during the week. Most of them aren't that good. I also went to an AOG and didn't receive a warm welcome at all. I went to a Baptist church and all I heard was how bad the Catholics are. One Baptist Church I went to was pretty good and I'll go back.

jacobtaylor

Feb 11, 2011
The Fundamentalist Baptist use to say they were the only true church and were the only ones that were saved, and up until the late 60's they wouldn't allow African American's into BJU.

The JW's believe they're the only true church.

Regardless what people think of the RCC, they aren't a threat to Israel, Christian's, or the world.

People like John MacArthur is so bent on demonizing the RCC that I would rather not be associated with anything having to do with him. He gets too offensive and has nothing good to say about Catholic's or Pentecostal's, and has nothing at all to say about Islam. I don't think we should be slandering one anothers church. What kind of witness is that to unbelievers if all they see is the church slandering one another? That's one reason why people avoid church like the plague!
Guess what happens if a Muslim slanders Islam? OUCH!

Who's slandering? If you think I have posted something untruthful speak up. Calling the truth slandering is uncalled for.
don't think we should be slandering one anothers church.

As of today we can officially scratch off Israel Jews. Apology confirmed and officially accepted.

APA Salon
http://www.salon.com...jews/index.html

THURSDAY Mar 03, 2011 12:00 ET
Israeli PM praises pope for exoneration

Israel's prime minister has thanked the pope for rejecting the long-held charge that the Jewish people were responsible for killing Jesus.

In a forthcoming book, Pope Benedict XVI explains that there is no biblical and theological basis to the ancient claim, which helped fuel anti-Semitism. The Second Vatican Council made the same declaration in 1965.

In a letter Thursday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wrote, "I commend you for forcefully rejecting in your recent book a false charge that has been a foundation for the hatred of the Jewish people for many centuries." Netanyahu wrote that he hoped the pope's "clarity and courage will strengthen the relations between Jews and Christians throughout the world, and help promote peace and reconciliation for generations to come."

jacobtaylor

Feb 11, 2011
I hear you. We have a local channel that broadcast Sunday services of local churches during the week. Most of them aren't that good. I also went to an AOG and didn't receive a warm welcome at all. I went to a Baptist church and all I heard was how bad the Catholics are. One Baptist Church I went to was pretty good and I'll go back.

Looks like your the one slandering even after your comment.
I don't think we should be slandering one anothers church.

The difference is Im disputing selenes contention about what is taught. Thats not slander thats looking for the truth by posting facts. The only facts selene has produced is what he says vs what the pope says what the CCC says and whats posted on the catholic sites. None BTW agree with what selene says.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, let's get back to the topic on Lent.

From personal experience, there is much to the idea of fasting. It's occurs frequently in the Bible.

Jesus provided us with instruction:

[bible=Matthew 6:16]
And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
[/bible]

That being said, plenty of non-Catholic denominations take part in Lent. If it helps one clear their head - which is the purposes of a true fast - then let them go. Recall the instruction not to worry about what a brother or sister does:

[bible=Colossians 2:16]
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.
[/bible]

I think that certainly includes the choices not to do the above. I've done things for Lent before and I will do it again. I've fasted otherwise by giving up things and I will do that again as well.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Last lent, I gave up eating chicken (my favorite). :D This year, I will give up eating chicken again and fast on fish.