God’S Laws Were In Effect And Observed Way Before They Were Given To Moses

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eccl.12:13

Aug 28, 2010

People often say, “God’s laws were not around until they was given to the nation of Israel by Moses.”, or “God laws were only for the children of Israel.“ Well…..that does not hold up to scriptures. God had laws in place WAY before there was a nation of Israel. God’s laws, though they may not have been written down, existed with the first man Adam, which will be proved in this lesson. Whenever God gave a command ‘to do’ or ‘not to do‘, at that moment it became LAW!

Hopefully you will read until the end…there will be questions.

Before going any further we must first define SIN! For that we MUST turn to the BIBLE.

This is the ONLY definition of SIN found in the bible:

1 John 5
[17] All unrighteousness is sin:

And where must one go to find out what is unrighteous? To God’s laws.

1 John 3
[4] Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for
sin is the transgression of the law.

We now know that sin is breaking God’s Laws. And who has broken God‘s laws?

Eccl. 7
[20] For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good,
and sinneth not.

Rom. 3
[23] For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

We know how many people the word ‘ALL’ covers, so there is no getting around the fact that EVERYBODY, from the first man Adam, AFTER CHRIST, up until now, and ALL that continue to be born in the flesh, have broken, or WILL break God‘s laws. So how can ALL of them be nailed to His cross?

Paul even tells us:

Rom. 5
[12] Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
[19] For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners,

Since we know the man Paul is talking about is Adam we can now go and find which one of God’s laws or commandments Adam broke.

Gen. 2
[15] And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
[16] And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
[17] But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

So God commanded Adam NOT to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It was a law the moment God commanded Adam. So did Adam break God’s Law?

Gen. 3
[17] And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

So what was the law and when was it effect? The law was not to eat of the tree and it started the moment it was spoken by God!

Now we know for a fact that, although there is no mention of a written law, God’s laws did exist BEFORE they were given to the nation of Israel by Moses. God’s law started the moment He gave ANY commandment. And we know this because we know God’s definition of sin; sin is breaking His laws, be they written or oral. Let’s look at just a few examples:

Gen. 4
[6] And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
[7] If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Notice what God said ‘lieth at the door’ for Cain….SIN! And sin is to break Gods law. And did Cain sin?

[8] And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

Now do we have any record telling us this law was written down? No! But yet Cain still knew it was wrong. How? God told him so. That is how everybody knew what was wrong and what was right. If it wasn’t written down it HAD to be passed by word of mouth. God spoke to His children and they, in turn, told the rest of mankind.

So we have MURDER BEFORE MOSES! Exod. 20 [13]Thou shalt not kill. Let’s read more.

Gen. 12
[13] Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister: that it may be well with me for thy sake; and my soul shall live because of thee.
[17] And the LORD plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai Abram's wife.
[18] And Pharaoh called Abram, and said, What is this that thou hast done unto me? why didst thou not tell me that she was thy wife?
[19] Why saidst thou, She is my sister? so I might have taken her to me to wife: now therefore behold thy wife, take her, and go thy way.

Now how did Pharaoh know this was wrong? Was it written or did somebody tell him? Either way, the fact remains that he KNEW!

So we have ADULTERY BEFORE MOSES! Exod. 20 [14] Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Gen. 30
[31] And he said, What shall I give thee? And Jacob said, Thou shalt not give me any thing: if thou wilt do this thing for me, I will again feed and keep thy flock:
[32] I will pass through all thy flock to day, removing from thence all the speckled and spotted cattle, and all the brown cattle among the sheep, and the spotted and speckled among the goats: and of such shall be my hire.
[33] So shall my righteousness answer for me in time to come, when it shall come for my hire before thy face: every one that is not speckled and spotted among the goats, and brown among the sheep, that shall be counted stolen with me.

So we have STEALING BEFORE MOSES! Exod. 20 [15] Thou shalt not steal.

Josh. 24 [2] And Joshua said unto all the people, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Your fathers dwelt on the other side of the flood in old time, even Terah, the father of Abraham, and the father of Nachor: and they served other gods.

Notice when they served ‘other gods’. It was on the ‘other side of the flood’!

So we have IDOLATRY BEFORE MOSES! Exod. 20 [3] Thou shalt have no other gods ` before me.

Gen.7
[2] Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
[3] Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.

Wow!! So we even have DIETARY LAWS BEFORE MOSES! Lev.11 [2]
Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth.

These are just a few examples of Gods laws being observed and kept BEFORE being given to Moses. ALL of God’s laws were in place and to be observed from day one. God’s laws were to be kept by ALL OF MANKIND and not just by the nation of Israel.

God also said His laws would be kept FOREVER! Let’s look at a few:

Ex. 31 [16] Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
[17] It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: The Sabbath, FOREVER!

We have God's 7th day Sabbath that He says will be kept FOREVER. Let's read of another feast that will be kept forever;

Lev. 23 [34] Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the feast of tabernacles for seven days unto the LORD.
[35] On the first day shall be an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
[41] And ye shall keep it a feast unto the LORD seven days in the year. It shall be a statute for ever in your generations: ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month.

Again God tells us His Feast of Tabernacles, will be kept FOREVER!

Just as the word ‘ALL’ means EVERYBODY, just how long does the word ‘FOREVER’ cover? God did not mention a period when He would SUSPEND these laws, so since God said FOREVER, we can take it it means just what He said. Let’s prove it by looking at a few scriptures:

Isa. 66
[15] For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
[16] For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.

We know that the time being spoken of here is the 2nd coming of the Lord. Let’s look to see if some of those ‘FOREVER LAWS’ will still be kept:

[23] And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

Again we see that word ‘ALL’ again. And we also see that ALL flesh will observe God’s Sabbath day, not just the nation of Israel. And is there any doubt concerning just WHICH day will be observed? The 7th day Sabbath of course! Let’s read of yet another time in the future:

Zech.14
[16] And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.
[17] And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.
[18] And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the LORD will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Again, we keep seeing the word ‘ALL’. In this scripture it even goes on to say ‘ALL NATIONS’ and ‘ALL FAMILIES‘. That means God’s laws are to be obeyed by EVERYONE!! They were NEVER only to be kept by the nation of Israel, nor will they be only for Israel when Christ returns.

So there you have it.....

I’m not even going to go into God’s reason for the flood (“Your fathers dwelt on the other side of the flood in old time, even Terah, the father of Abraham, and the father of Nachor: and they served other gods.”), or for His destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah (“And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;”), because we all know it was because man SINNED; broke the laws of God, all of which were around BEFORE there was even a nation of Israel.

So let’s review:

Sin is breaking God’s Laws. 1 John 3:4
All have sinned and thus have broken God‘s Laws. Rom. 3:23
The breaking of God’s Laws, for man, started with Adam. Rom. 5: 12,19
God’s laws are to be kept by EVERYONE. Gen. 4:8, Gen 12:18
God’s laws are to be observed FOREVER. Exod. 31:17, Lev. 23:41
God’s Laws will be kept during Christ 1000 year rule. Isa. 66:15,16 Zach. 14:16-18

We can clearly see that God’s laws were for everybody from the start of creation. And, as we just read, His laws will still be observed by ALL NATIONS and ALL FAMILIES when Christ returns and rules for 1000 years.

Here are a few questions to think about:

Did mankind have an ‘obligation’ to observe God’s laws BEFORE they were given to Moses? Hint: The Flood and Sodom and Gomorrah!

Where in God’s holy word does it say that His laws were ONLY for the nation of Israel? Hint: “Ye shall have one
law for him that sinneth through ignorance, both for him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them.”

I pray this was helpful to someone. Continue to ask God for wisdom and understanding.

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
Eccl.12:13 said:
one [/b][/size]law for him that sinneth through ignorance, both for him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them.”

I pray this was helpful to someone. Continue to ask God for wisdom and understanding.

Hi Eccl , and would be better to see what Paul wrote than go to Moses .

Any good student of the word would find that from Adam , that the Mosaic Law was not in effect but their were laws and these are found in Rom 2:14 .

For when the Gentiles , which have not the LAW , DO BY NATURE , the things contained in the law , these , are a law unto themselves . v15 , which shew the works of the law written in thier hearts , their CONSCIENCE also bearing witness , and thier thoughts the mean while ACCUSING or else EXCUSSING one another .

v16 , Then , in the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ ACCORDING to Pauls Gospel , and not by the Law of Moses or the New Covenant .

Let me give you a HINT , where does it say that Gentiles are to KEEP the Law or where the Body of Christ is given a Covenant , hope you find a verse ???

Aug 28, 2010

Hi Eccl , and would be better to see what Paul wrote than go to Moses .

Let me ask you, Where did Paul go to find out that to covet was a sin?
What book did Paul use to teach the Gentiles what was right and what was wrong?
Where in God's word does it say, 'Do not try to keep God's laws.'?

But I digress, This lesson is to show that God's laws were in effect and were to be observed by mankind before they were written down and given to the nation of Israel. Have anything to say about that?

dan p

Mar 26, 2009

Where in God's word does it say, 'Do not try to keep God's laws.'?

But I digress, This lesson is to show that God's laws were in effect and were to be observed by mankind before they were written down and given to the nation of Israel. Have anything to say about that?

Hi , and where is the verse that the Gentiles or the Body of Christ were in Covenant relatiionship with us ???

Aug 28, 2010
Hi , and where is the verse that the Gentiles or the Body of Christ were in Covenant relatiionship with us ???

I'm really not about playing games here. This is not about,"I'll answer your questions if you answer mine." If you have kept track of any of my post you will find that in almost all of them I will answer the questions presented, backed by scriptures. But in return my questions are ignored.

I have the same feeling here!

If I told you that my answer is that it is implied that Gentiles must keep the law just as everyone God gave His laws, would you then answer my questions? If I told you that Gentiles were grafted in with Israel would you answer my questions? If I told you the the fault was NOT with the laws, but was with the people, will you answer my questions? If I told you the only law that was nailed to Christ cross was the laws that He removed at His death, which was represented by the renting of the veil in twain, will you answer my questions? If I told you that the ONLY laws Paul speaks of from Heb.7 thru Heb.10 are those of animal sacrifice, will you then answer my questions?

So there you have it....my answer is ALL of the ABOVE! So will you answer mine?

Something tells me NO!!! But hey.....I could be wrong on this one!

So go ahead...... Prove me wrong! Let the readers know what you are made of. Answer my (3) simple questions. Here they are again....just in case you forgot them;

Where in God's word does it say, 'Do not try to keep God's laws.', or "You do not have to try to keep God's laws."?

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010

If I told you that my answer is that it is implied that Gentiles must keep the law just as everyone God gave His laws, would you then answer my questions?
Ok then, do you believe that Gentiles must keep all the commandments? I've asked but you haven't answered.

Do we execute adulterers, violators of the Sabbath, homosexuals, etc. ???? These are commandments in THE LAW.

Aug 28, 2010
Ok then, do you believe that Gentiles must keep all the commandments? I've asked but you haven't answered.

Do we execute adulterers, violators of the Sabbath, homosexuals, etc. ???? These are commandments in THE LAW.

Yes! All of mankind is to do their best to keep ALL of God's laws to the best of their ability!

As far as execution of law breakers, Jesus gave us the example for that too!

John 8
[3] And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
[4] They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
[5] Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
[6] This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
[7] So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
[8] And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
[9] And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
[10] When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
[11] She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Notice Jesus never said it was wrong, or even tried to stop those from throwing the stone. He just made them think, "Am I so perfect that I can condemn this women?"

So with that said, could I excecute someone for a crime, knowing I myself am not sinless? Well I got to tell you.....it depends on the crime!

Jesus also gave us this for an example;

Matt.13
[30] Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Jesus tells us to let the sinners and the righteous dwell together and HE will seperate them at His return!

Now....maybe you can help Danp out and answer a few of my questions;

Did Paul stop at coveting as to what was right and wrong?
Where in God's word does it say, 'Do not try to keep God's laws.', or "You do not have to try to keep God's laws."?

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Yes! All of mankind is to do their best to keep ALL of God's laws to the best of their ability!

As far as execution of law breakers, Jesus gave us the example for that too!

John 8
[3] And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
[4] They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
[5] Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
[6] This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
[7] So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
[9] And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
[10] When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
[11] She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Notice Jesus never said it was wrong, or even tried to stop those from throwing the stone. He just made them think, "Am I so perfect that I can condemn this women?"

So with that said, could I excecute someone for a crime, knowing I myself am not sinless? Well I got to tell you.....it depends on the crime!

Matt.13
[30] Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Jesus tells us to let the sinners and the righteous dwell together and HE will seperate them at His return!

Are you really saying that adulterers, homosexuals, and violators of the Sabbath should be executed???

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
[quote name='Eccl.12:13' timestamp='1295722198'

Hi and I can answer for myself .

And min Ex 24:12 we have these words , " and I will give you tables of stone , and a LAW , and Commendments which I have written that thou mayest teach them , ans Law is linked with commandments .

In Ex4 : 7 we see that is iscalled the BOOK of the COVENANT .

Rom 8:1 , Paul says that we are in Christ , there is no condemnation to those who walk after the Spirit and not after the flesh .

Eph 2 : 8 said that men or woman are saved .

How are woman saved under the 10 commandments ???? and give a verse if you can find one ?? dan p

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
Are you really saying that adulterers, homosexuals, and violators of the Sabbath should be executed???
I'd like his answer to this one, too.

After all, following the law would mean following the law telling us to execute these people. If we are supposed to TRY to follow them then we should TRY to kill these kinds of people, as well.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I'd like his answer to this one, too.

After all, following the law would mean following the law telling us to execute these people. If we are supposed to TRY to follow them then we should TRY to kill these kinds of people, as well.
Exactly! Otherwise he isn't following God's commandments given to Moses. "HE IS A DEBTOR TO KEEP THE WHOLE LAW." Including animal sacrifices and executions.

Galatians 5:3-4 (NKJV)
[sup]3 [/sup]And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that HE IS A DEBTOR TO KEEP THE WHOLE LAW. [sup]4 [/sup]You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

Aug 28, 2010
Are you guys NOT reading my reply? Here is my answer AGAIN!

As far as execution of law breakers, Jesus gave us the example to follow!

John 8

And here is an example; If I caught someone, redhanded, killing a member of my family, though I am not perfect, I think I could pull the trigger!

Could I kill someone else...say a homosexuals, adulterers, a thief......probably not!

But as Jesus gave us to use as an example below......we do not HAVE to do it.....but He never says we cannot. He does ask that we examine ourselves before doing it though. He tells us to leave it all up to HIm at His coming!

Matt.13

Here is my answer AGAIN!!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Romans 10:4 (NKJV)
[sup]4 [/sup]For CHRIST IS THE END OF THE LAW for righteousness to everyone who believes.

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
Could I kill someone else...say a homosexuals, adulterers, a thief......probably not!

So then you'd be violating the commandments you are preaching to us to follow.

You're a hypocrite if you can't practice what you preach.

Aug 28, 2010
[/size]
So then you'd be violating the commandments you are preaching to us to follow.
You're a hypocrite if you can't practice what you preach.

Again.....did you not read ALL of my reply?

At no point did Jesus say we MUST kill those that commit such acts. At the same time, He did NOT say that we could not!

But what He did say was the following;

John 8

And if that were not enough, Jesus gave us this out;

Matt.13

Now just WHO do you think those are that are being gathered together to burn? Those that broke God's laws! They were SINNERS! And what did these sinners do? Was it that they did not have enough faith? NO! They broke the so called 'laws' so many of you claim man is not 'obligated' to keep!

And who is it that will come into God's barn?

THOSE THAT KEPT GOD'S LAWS!! Yeah....God's LAWS!!!

Just how I'm I being a hypocrite by following Jesus example?

Is this the BEST you guys could come up with? A hypocrite? Really?

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
Again.....did you not read ALL of my reply?

At no point did Jesus say we MUST kill those that commit such acts.
I'm pretty sure these are all commands.

"You should not let a sorceress live"
"Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death."
"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives."
"A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death"
" Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death."
"All who curse their father or mother must be put to death."
" If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death."
"A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death."

Hypocrite.
If you practice what you preach you'd obey these commands.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010

I'm pretty sure these are all commands.

"You should not let a sorceress live"
"Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death."
"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives."
"A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death"
" Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death."
"All who curse their father or mother must be put to death."
" If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death."
"A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death."

Hypocrite.
If you practice what you preach you'd obey these commands.
Yes indeed they are commands, not requests. And Eccl. is a debtor to keep the whole law.

Galatians 5:3 (NKJV)
[sup]3 [/sup]And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.

Thank God that I am not under THE LAW!!!

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
Yes indeed they are commands, not requests. And Eccl. is a debtor to keep the whole law.
Yep- you can't pick and chose. It's all of it or none of it.

It'll be interesting to hear his response on these. His response cannot be "I can't follow those", because he's required to if he keeps any of it.

Aug 28, 2010
Yep- you can't pick and chose. It's all of it or none of it.

It'll be interesting to hear his response on these. His response cannot be "I can't follow those", because he's required to if he keeps any of it.

Do you guys even know one of the reasons why God stopped animal sacrifice?

Do you understand why Jesus said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."?

Can you explain to those reading what is meant by the following verse?
"Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn."

Well......let me help you........

One of the reasons God no longer required animal sacrifice was because those that were wealthy could sin all they wanted and deliver the required animal to the Levites.......because they were RICH! And that was not fair to those that did not have the same livestock.

Jesus said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.", so that they would examine themselves. And what happened?
"And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst."

And finally....the meaning of the following scripture; "Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.", is this......

Let the sinners, those that are breaking God's laws, and the righteous, those that are keeping God's laws, live and dwell together! For He will separate them at HIs return!

ALL of the above is why it is not MANDATORY that I kill those that break God's laws! Why? Because I also am a sinner!

I am NOT answering this line of questioning again.

I am pretty sure those reading will understand!