God Of The Garden

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tuesday 7-26-22 3rd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tammuz 26, 5782 366th. Summer Day

God of the Garden

odb20220726.jpg

Read: Genesis 3:8–13 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 40–42; Acts 27:1–26

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day. Genesis 3:8

Many years ago, Joni Mitchell wrote a song called “Woodstock” in which she saw the human race trapped in a “bargain” with the devil. Urging her listeners to seek a simpler, more peaceful existence, she sang of a return to “the garden.” Mitchell spoke for a generation longing for purpose and meaning.

Mitchell’s poetical “garden” is Eden, of course. Eden was the paradise God created for us back in the beginning. In this garden, Adam and Eve met with God on a regular basis—until the day they made their bargain with the devil (see Genesis 3:6–7). That day was different. “Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden” (v. 8).

When God asked what they’d done, Adam and Eve engaged in a lot of blame-shifting. Despite their denial, God didn’t leave them there. He “made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them” (v. 21), a sacrifice that hinted at the death Jesus would endure to cover our sins.

God didn’t give us a way back to Eden. He gave us a way forward into restored relationship with Him. We can’t return to the garden. But we can return to the God of the garden.
What stands between you and God today? What might you confess to Him in order to walk in “the cool of the day” with Him?
Father, help me not to blame others for my own faults and failures. Thank You that honesty with You means relationship with You.

INSIGHT

The book of Genesis uses the expression “walked with God” or “walked faithfully with God” to describe a life of loving fellowship and harmony with Him. Genesis 3 depicts that harmonious relationship with God being disrupted by the first human couple’s decision to mistrust and disobey Him. Instead of walking with God in the garden, they hid (v. 8). However, He graciously continued to pursue relationships where human beings walked with Him in trust and faithfulness. Even after the fall into sin, others are described as walking with God, such as Enoch (5:22), Noah (6:9), and Abraham (17:1).
In the New Testament, through Jesus’ death and resurrection believers are given new hope and power to enable a life of walking faithfully with God through the gift of Christ’s Spirit (Galatians 5:16; Ephesians 2:10).
By Tim Gustafson|July 26th, 2022

Salvation Genesis 3:8-13

8 And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden.

9 And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?

10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.

11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.

13 And the Lord God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

My Faith and Belief Site (tripod.com)

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Tuesday 7-26-22 3rd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tammuz 26, 5782 366th. Summer Day

God of the Garden

odb20220726.jpg

Read: Genesis 3:8–13 | Bible in a Year: Psalms 40–42; Acts 27:1–26

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day. Genesis 3:8

Many years ago, Joni Mitchell wrote a song called “Woodstock” in which she saw the human race trapped in a “bargain” with the devil. Urging her listeners to seek a simpler, more peaceful existence, she sang of a return to “the garden.” Mitchell spoke for a generation longing for purpose and meaning.

Mitchell’s poetical “garden” is Eden, of course. Eden was the paradise God created for us back in the beginning. In this garden, Adam and Eve met with God on a regular basis—until the day they made their bargain with the devil (see Genesis 3:6–7). That day was different. “Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden” (v. 8).

When God asked what they’d done, Adam and Eve engaged in a lot of blame-shifting. Despite their denial, God didn’t leave them there. He “made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them” (v. 21), a sacrifice that hinted at the death Jesus would endure to cover our sins.

God didn’t give us a way back to Eden. He gave us a way forward into restored relationship with Him. We can’t return to the garden. But we can return to the God of the garden.
What stands between you and God today? What might you confess to Him in order to walk in “the cool of the day” with Him?
Father, help me not to blame others for my own faults and failures. Thank You that honesty with You means relationship with You.

INSIGHT

The book of Genesis uses the expression “walked with God” or “walked faithfully with God” to describe a life of loving fellowship and harmony with Him. Genesis 3 depicts that harmonious relationship with God being disrupted by the first human couple’s decision to mistrust and disobey Him. Instead of walking with God in the garden, they hid (v. 8). However, He graciously continued to pursue relationships where human beings walked with Him in trust and faithfulness. Even after the fall into sin, others are described as walking with God, such as Enoch (5:22), Noah (6:9), and Abraham (17:1).
In the New Testament, through Jesus’ death and resurrection believers are given new hope and power to enable a life of walking faithfully with God through the gift of Christ’s Spirit (Galatians 5:16; Ephesians 2:10).
By Tim Gustafson|July 26th, 2022

Salvation Genesis 3:8-13

8 And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden.

9 And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?

10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.

11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.

13 And the Lord God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

My Faith and Belief Site (tripod.com)
Interesting. A few years ago had a dream of being in a garden and the words, 'Go back to the garden' kept repeating.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Pearl, how are you all? what do you think it meant?

Walter
Well at the time I prayed and asked God to show me if it meant anything and I believe he was saying that the garden was Eden before sin entered and as a Christian we should accept that we are healed just as we accept that we are saved. The ideally we should all be as we were in the Garden without sin or sickness. But it a difficult one to reconcile with experience.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well at the time I prayed and asked God to show me if it meant anything and I believe he was saying that the garden was Eden before sin entered and as a Christian we should accept that we are healed just as we accept that we are saved. The ideally we should all be as we were in the Garden without sin or sickness. But it a difficult one to reconcile with experience.
Amen,

Reactions: Pearl