God or Man, who should we follow?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does the day of Christ resurrections tell us to change the worship of Sabbath to Sunday, or the first day of the week?

Some people claim the Sabbath was changed by the resurrection or say 'I keep Sunday in honor of the Resurrection', or they are told that the Apostles began keeping Sunday as the day of worship after the resurrection, but did they? Did the resurrection somehow make the Sabbath to cease or cause a change in the day of worship?

Worship is the reason for the Sabbath from Creation and it is the only day God ever gave us to worship Him on, so we must be careful we don't change to ideas of men. Christ warned that this would happen...

Matthew 15:9
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mark 7:7
Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

So what should we do, follow what man says and 'traditions' that man comes up with? God gives us is the truth and we find it in His Word..
John 17:17
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
1 Timothy 2:4
Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

If we turn from Gods truth what happens...

2 Thessalonians 2:10
And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

It is not safe to refuse obedience to the clear and obvious truths of God’s Word.

Proverbs 28:9
He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

So what does it tell us clearly in the Word of God when men come up with changes to what God has given us, or bring in tradition which go against Gods Law.

Acts 5:29
Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

So does the resurrection change the day of the Sabbath, what do we have from Gods Word. Well the problem is that God never told anyone to keep Sunday in honor of the resurrection of Christ, or for any other reason. But He decidedly and repeatedly told us to keep holy the seventh day of the week. In Gethsemane on Thursday night and on the cross on Friday morning and afternoon, our salvation hung in the balance. By sundown Friday it was all settled. The price had been paid. The salvation of those who would accept it was assured. Then came the Sabbath day of rest, and Jesus our Lord rested in the tomb.

On Sunday morning, He rose and another work week began. Christ began working again. We see no changes made and if there was something that we should focus on, the resurrection of Christ is in no way as important as is Calvary. Those who wish to abandon a clear command of God to keep the seventh day for another day, might as well say they keep Friday holy in honor of Calvary. But we keep a day holy because God says to, not because man says to do it or we decide to.

Some say that they keep Sunday because it is the "great memorial of our redemption." This is not true. The sign or symbol or memorial of our redemption is the Bible Sabbath. Our keeping of it is the sign by which all men shall know that we belong to God our Creator and that it is He, and not we ourselves, who is saving us from sin and will ultimately redeem us from this evil world. The seventh-day Sabbath is the seal of the law and the sign that He is our Creator.

Exodus 31:16-17
16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

And through whom we are sanctified so we may be saved by the Redeemer and stand perfect before God.

Ezekiel 20:12
Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them.

Matthew 5:48
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

So do we break the Law the Creator wrote with His own finger, and continue in sin..
Romans 6:1
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

The answer is clear, 'God forbid.'

• Love
Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Not another thread about whether or not to keep the Sabbath!!

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not another thread about whether or not to keep the Sabbath!!
Looks like it; only One Biblical Answer:

op: God or man, who should we follow?:
What Saith The Scriptures?:

"Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children" (Ephesians 5:1)​
+
But then, which apostle?:

"Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me." (1 Corinthians 4:16)​
+
"Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ." (1 Corinthians 11:1)​

Thus, following Paul's God-Inspired passage about "judging others about the sabbath"?:

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of​
an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath" (Colossians 2:16)​
Case Closed?

Best is probably to go ahead and 'lock up' this thread, else it turns into another
"biting and devouring one another" 'trinity' thread, eh?

Amen.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have a problem with this, because "God" can be used to oppress people - when its neither God nor Man's fault.

Essentially, you have to reject God, that Man learn to praise God properly.

Well, to be fair, you have to reject what men "say" is God - its just that its very hard to differentiate between God and what men say is God, true?

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looks like it; only One Biblical Answer:

op: God or man, who should we follow?:
What Saith The Scriptures?:

"Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children" (Ephesians 5:1)​
+
But then, which apostle?:

"Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me." (1 Corinthians 4:16)​
+
"Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ." (1 Corinthians 11:1)​

Thus, following Paul's God-Inspired passage about "judging others about the sabbath"?:

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of​
an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath" (Colossians 2:16)​
Case Closed?

Best is probably to go ahead and 'lock up' this thread, else it turns into another
"biting and devouring one another" 'trinity' thread, eh?

Amen.
So what is clear...
Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Is replaced by a clear misunderstanding of Pauls words..