God's inner conflict

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Luke 22:42 ''Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done''.

Why was God saying this to Himself? I believe it is because He has an inner conflict, namely: Love for His creation VS Hatred of sin.

The cross is proof that God's love for His creation is greater then His hatred of sin. He sweat blood in anticipation of our sin coming upon Him. He was conflicted!

All scripture that appears as though 'God changed His mind' suddenly makes sense. Let's take Moses and the golden calf as an example. God wanted to destroy the Jews worshipping it. Moses pleaded with God. God relented. Did God change His mind? Respecting Moses's wishes is not God changing His mind. It is evidence of God's love for Moses being greater then His hatred of the sin / Jews worshipping golden calf.

God's love for us all > hatred of sin translates into a God that would do absolutely any and everything He can to justify, spare and save us. Which then translates into eternal separation from Him simply being, us literally not wanting to be with Him.

As John 3:19 says ''This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.'' We are eternally separated from God, not because of our sins. But because we love darkness. We hate the light. We hate God. God loves His enemies, they hate Him.

I am certain that when God made us He was also conflicted on whether to make some from a lump of clay unto dishonour and some from a lump of clay unto honour.

Conclusion: God of the universe made Himself as a lamb to the slaughter because He loves us more then what He hates most.

What are your thoughts on Luke 22:42?

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
It was the greatest crisis in the history of the Universe, but when I read this verse, I see Jesus being tempted to turn aside from the horror that he knew faced him. It touching that when he considered taking the easy path, he thought of you and me, and how we would be lost if he didn't go forward. Yes it was love that caused the Lord to proceed when, at his command, legions of angels would come to his defense and spare him this fate.

Enquirer

Aug 5, 2014
South Africa
@ KingJ ... There is a lot of truth to what you're saying ... as a further example look at Abraham, when God wanted to destroy Soddom
and Gommorrah, Abraham spoke to God in Gen 18:23,

And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?

Abraham started off by asking God if He would spare the cities if only fifty righteous were in them and God agreed to spare them all
even if there was only fifty ... Abraham got God down to ten.
Ten righteous would have spared all the wicked !
Unfortunately the only righteous ones left were Lot and his family.
I'm sure that the angels who came to Soddom would have preached a message of repentance to the people but before they could,
the homo's went nuts and tried to grab them ... this sealed their doom.
But the point here is this, God was prepared to save two entire wicked cities where the wicked far outnumbered the righteous.
Such is the love of God.

Also see the story of Jonah where God sent this unwilling prophet to warn Nineveh,

He prayed to the LORD and said, "Please LORD, was not this what I said while I was still in my own country? Therefore in order to forestall
this I fled to Tarshish, for I knew that You are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, and one who
relents concerning calamity. Jonah 4:2

I have heard so many stories from preachers that God is going to judge and destroy America etc., and destroy the evil people there but that is
simply not true, not in the light of God's character.

Paul says that the judgements of God against the earth will not take place until "... he is taken out of the way ... " 2 Thess 2:7, I take the "he" to
be the Holy Spirit ... and where is the Holy Spirit ?
In the believers !
So judgement will not happen until the Church is first removed ... yes this makes me a believer in the pre-trib rapture but my point is that God will
not judge the righteous with the unrighteous.

Very good post.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
This Vale Of Tears said:
It was the greatest crisis in the history of the Universe, but when I read this verse, I see Jesus being tempted to turn aside from the horror that he knew faced him. It touching that when he considered taking the easy path, he thought of you and me, and how we would be lost if he didn't go forward. Yes it was love that caused the Lord to proceed when, at his command, legions of angels would come to his defense and spare him this fate.
Amen
Enquirer said:
So judgement will not happen until the Church is first removed ... yes this makes me a believer in the pre-trib rapture but my point is that God will
not judge the righteous with the unrighteous.
Agreed. Even the two prophets are killed before God's wrath comes.
Enquirer said:
I have heard so many stories from preachers that God is going to judge and destroy America etc., and destroy the evil people there but that is
simply not true, not in the light of God's character.
True, lol.