God's name used in vain

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shan Missions

Nov 18, 2007
Exodus 20:7; Deuteronomy 5:11You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name. When some one exclaims "Oh my God" doesn't mean he/she misuse the name of the Lord. But when some one says "God has told me ... this and that" but actually if it is not from God, it is the misuse of the name of God.Be careful!Acts 19:13-1613 Some Jews who went around driving out evil spirits tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who were demon-possessed. They would say, "In the name of Jesus, whom Paul preaches, I command you to come out." 14 Seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. 15[One day] the evil spirit answered them, "Jesus I know, and I know about Paul, but who are you?" 16 Then the man who had the evil spirit jumped on them and overpowered them all. He gave them such a beating that they ran out of the house naked and bleeding.

Shan Missions

Nov 18, 2007
(Jon-Marc;29240)
I have had people tell me that by studying false teachings you will be better able to recognize them. I say that the best way to recognize false teachings is by studying the truth of God's word, and then you will know the false teachings when you hear them.People who work with money all the time (like in banks) don't learn about phony money, but they study the real dollar bills to the point that when they see phony ones, they will recognize them as phony.We need to spend our time studying and knowing the truth so that we will not be fooled by false teachings.
How do we know whether it is a false teaching or true teaching?We must read the Bible.If they preach the words in the Bible it is true. But if their preaching cannot be found in the Bible or contrary to the Bible, it is false.Acts 17:11Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true . All listeners should check the Bible and see as the Bereans did.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
(Shan Missions;30348)
Exodus 20:7; Deuteronomy 5:11You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name. When some one exclaims "Oh my God" doesn't mean he/she misuse the name of the Lord. But when some one says "God has told me ... this and that" but actually if it is not from God, it is the misuse of the name of God.Be careful!
I agree and many do that today!.......Whirlwind

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
I was jogging in the rain one day. There was a car parked beside the road. While I was passing the car, girl from the car came out, didn't notice me... and said Oh, Jesus Christ ! I said , sorry I didn't mean to scare you. People seem to use the name of Jesus Christ a lot, without thinking. I felt like saying to her, sorry I'm not Him, but would you be interested to know Him. Well, I continued jogging.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
When someone said the name Jesus Christ in a way that it shouldn't be used, I said "Oh, do you know Him too?" You could have heard a pin drop it was quiet. :naughty:

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
(Jon-Marc;32555)
When someone said the name Jesus Christ in a way that it shouldn't be used, I said "Oh, do you know Him too?" You could have heard a pin drop it was quiet. :naughty:
That's a good one Jon-Marc....I may borrow it sometime if you don't mind.
rolleyes.gif
..........Whirlwind