God's name used in vain

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David323

Mar 13, 2007
Is it not a sin to say "oh my god!"? This little phrase seems to be used a lot but seems to me like using God's name in vain.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(David323;28000)
Is it not a sin to say "oh my god!"? This little phrase seems to be used a lot but seems to me like using God's name in vain.
In general, I think this phrase is often used in vain. My children are never allowed to say it as an exclamation. My grandma used to say, "Oh my merciful heavens!" I always thought that was sort of sweet.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Well, there is a phrase in the Bible that says. O my God, but it is not used in vain, but however "Oh my God" may be, depending on it's uses.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
I agree that using that phrase is the same as using God's name in vain. Our pastor told us that he hopes we never use it. I don't, but I hear it a LOT on TV, and sometimes a person uses it over and over and over. That's when I mute the TV; I love the mute button.

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
I also hear people saying things like, "sweet jesus", which I consider just as bad. It just further showes the steady decay of the morality of our society. But the bible said that the people will grow worse and worse, so as bad as this is its just more proof that the bible is true.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
(David323;28000)
Using His name as in cursing isn't a good thing but I don't think that is what is meant by using His name in vain.It is more like to use it for no purpose, uselessly. To take it in vain and not lead people to His truth.....as Satan :naughty:. To mislead people into believing he, the fake, is Christ. To lie in His name.........Whirlwind

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
I find it fun to say the name of false gods in vain.Sorry to all Muslims out there.Anyway, if I hear a Christian using God's name in vain, you can usually tell that they're not walking with God. It also hurts me when I hear lost people use it over and over again.
sad.gif

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(Wakka;28123)
I find it fun to say the name of false gods in vain.Sorry to all Muslims out there.Anyway, if I hear a Christian using God's name in vain, you can usually tell that they're not walking with God.
sad.gif

1. I think it's totally rude to mock anyone's religion - including Muslims. The name of their god is very important to them, why would you want to insult them so? That is just hurtful. They don't believe in Jesus as we do, but I don't hear them making a jokes out of His name. Would Jesus want you to mock what others hold most dear? :naughty: Because when you do that, your witness for Him goes right out the window. Do you think a Muslim is going to give a hoot about your Jesus when you've made a joke of their god? 2. I think you should be careful not to judge who YOU think is walking with God and who isn't. We all struggle with sin. One person may sin by using God's name in vain, another may struggle with selfishness or pride. How would you feel if someone saw you in your weak moment and decided "Wakka CLEARLY isn't walking with God?"

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Peacebewithyou;28125)
1. I think it's totally rude to mock anyone's religion - including Muslims. The name of their god is very important to them, why would you want to insult them so? That is just hurtful. They don't believe in Jesus as we do, but I don't hear them making a jokes out of His name. Would Jesus want you to mock what others hold most dear? :naughty: Because when you do that, your witness for Him goes right out the window. Do you think a Muslim is going to give a hoot about your Jesus when you've made a joke of their god? 2. I think you should be careful not to judge who YOU think is walking with God and who isn't. We all struggle with sin. One person may sin by using God's name in vain, another may struggle with selfishness or pride. How would you feel if someone saw you in your weak moment and decided "Wakka CLEARLY isn't walking with God?"
Dear Peacebewithyou,To be honest, Islam is truly a Satanic religion... It may be important to them to keep their false god. But however there is no salvation for them, because there is only one that provides Salvation and that is Christ alone. Islam is brainwashing Christians, as well as Christians are also being brainwashed by false teachings that has crept in Christianity. I thank God, that Christ is the only way to Heaven. (John 14:6) Other way than Christ leads into trouble. (John 10:1) The way to Heaven is very narrow. (Matthew 7:13-14)JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(thesuperjag;28126)
Dear Peacebewithyou,To be honest, Islam is truly a Satanic religion... It may be important to them to keep their false god. But however there is no salvation for them, because there is only one that provides Salvation and that is Christ alone. Islam is brainwashing Christians, as well as Christians are also being brainwashed by false teachings that has crept in Christianity. I thank God, that Christ is the only way to Heaven. (John 14:6) Other way than Christ leads into trouble. (John 10:1) The way to Heaven is very narrow. (Matthew 7:13-14)JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.
Jag, I agree with you 100%. It is because they are lost that I think we need to be respectful of their extreme sensitivity to the name of their god. If we mock what they hold most dear, they will NEVER listen to a word we have to say about Jesus. All I'm saying is it's one thing to disagree with someone's theology. You and I disagree - but I wouldn't make a joke of what YOU believe in, and I'm fairly certain that you are an upright person and would not mock what I hold most dear. Disagree all day long - but make fun of?? That is just hurtful and rude and not what Jesus would have us do.Wakka is young - I chalk it up to immaturity, not meanness. I just want him to consider the ramifications.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Your argument is like telling someone to respect a homosexual because they believe homosexuality is right.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(Wakka;28144)
Your argument is like telling someone to respect a homosexual because they believe homosexuality is right.
Not at all. I said we can discuss theology - (or homosexuality for that matter) all day long. We can discuss why a Muslim should believe in Jesus - who Jesus was - what He stood for - how following Christ is the only means of salvation. We can discuss the Bible & why it is God's Word. We can also discuss why following Quaran is wrong, and why their view of god is incorrect. But we should never mock or make fun of their god. Never.It's like hitting below the belt. Not out of respect for their false god - but out of respect for them as individuals.If our goal is to lead the lost to Christ, mocking their god is not a good starting point. And for the record, I don't think we should make fun of homosexuals either.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Peacebewithyou;28149)
(Wakka;28144)
Not at all. I said we can discuss theology - (or homosexuality for that matter) all day long.We can discuss why a Muslim should believe in Jesus - who Jesus was - what He stood for - how following Christ is the only means of salvation. We can discuss the Bible & why it is God's Word.We can also discuss why following Quaran is wrong, and why their view of god is incorrect.But we should never mock or make fun of their god. Never.It's like hitting below the belt. Not out of respect for their false god - but out of respect for them as individuals.If our goal is to lead the lost to Christ, mocking their god is not a good starting point.And for the record, I don't think we should make fun of homosexuals either.Well if you think about it, Christianity has made fun of Christians as well as evil has made fun of good.So we should teach Truth in love...JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
1 Thessalonians 5:15See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

ps77

Nov 3, 2007
wait, isn't it biblical to love a homosexual person. not to accept their behaviors, but to love them, and hold a respect for them? i definitely have respect for certain people who are homosexual. they're people too. i give respect when respect is due, i don't let titles or other stuff like that get in the way. i don't always agree with certain behaviours or views, but if the person deserves respect, they get it.

SpiritSoldier

Dec 24, 2007
hey Folks good question. I have really been contemplating on this for a while on my own as well and I do think saying "Oh My God" is taking his name in vain I cringe every time I hear it makes me want to puke or something. also I think the phrase "God told me" could be blasphemy when people say it all the time to try to add impact to their statement I am sure God takes offense to things such as these.the Lord be with you all

Faithful

Jul 13, 2007
(Peacebewithyou;28153)
1 Thessalonians 5:15See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
It is not good to advocate false Gods or the teachings. I personally do not believe christians should even give sound of voice to the name of false Gods and as for the teachings they should never learn them.The truth about Jesus Christ is the only way to life, so respecting a person for believing what is false is a little ironic and condescending.It is the same for all, believe in Christ and be saved or don't and be lost.Faithful.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
I have had people tell me that by studying false teachings you will be better able to recognize them. I say that the best way to recognize false teachings is by studying the truth of God's word, and then you will know the false teachings when you hear them.People who work with money all the time (like in banks) don't learn about phony money, but they study the real dollar bills to the point that when they see phony ones, they will recognize them as phony.We need to spend our time studying and knowing the truth so that we will not be fooled by false teachings.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said Jon-Marc! God told us to compare with the Word, that's where the authority rests as you have so well put it:[url="http://biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?language=english&version=KJV&passage=Matthew+7%3A20]Matthew 7:20[/url]
Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.