Good and bad reasoning

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here’s another post regarding the principle of “faith toward God”. It is my attempt at providing a reasonable response to today’s prevailing faith teachers. Some of us were led to believe that reason is an enemy of faith, and at times, it is, when it is faulty. At the same time, we are encouraged to apply reasoning.

Here’s an example of bad reasoning.

Matthew 16:5-12….(vs. 7) “And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread.”

Jesus attempted to teach the disciples what He meant by the leaven of the Pharisees. It was the doctrine of the Phrisees and the Sadducees of which He was speaking, not that they had forgotten to take along with them bread.

Jesus replied “why reason among yourselves, oh ye of little faith”. Poor reasoning can cause our degree of faith to diminish.

Here, we are encouraged to act just the opposite.

Isaiah 1:18, “Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.”

Another example of bad reasoning was when believers thought of themselves more highly than they ought. (Romans 12:3) One might think his place in the body is simply not spiritual enough.

Acts 6:2, “Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables.”

What is truly reasonable is that we “present our bodies (to the service of the Lord) which is our reasonable service.” (Romans 12:1) This would include serving tables.

In our relations to the world, we also will use reason.

The unsaved may ask of us a reason why we are Christians. Reasoning is a positive in this case, one that may lead to another’s salvation. (1 Peter 3:15)

Therefore, understanding the differences between right and wrong, good and bad reasoning, is important as we walk with the Lord.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hope in God

Very good my friend! Add also Job into the group of those examples of bad reasoning. He was a good man with what he had but really wanted to plead his cause before God. He wanted to reason with God. He want an opportunity to justify himself rather than God:

"Surely I would speak to the Almighty, and I desire to reason with God." Job 13:3

"Oh that I knew where I might find him! that I might come even to his seat!
I would order my cause before him, and fill my mouth with arguments." Job 23:3-4

But then after God begins to answer him, we see that he finds good reason:

"Then Job answered the LORD, and said,
Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth.
Once have I spoken; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further."Job 40:3-5

And God then puts Job in his proper place:

"Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.
Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous
Hast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him?" Job 40:7-9

That was not all God has to say to Job but we should get the idea, no?

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hope in God

Very good my friend! Add also Job into the group of those examples of bad reasoning. He was a good man with what he had but really wanted to plead his cause before God. He wanted to reason with God. He want an opportunity to justify himself rather than God:

"Surely I would speak to the Almighty, and I desire to reason with God." Job 13:3

I would order my cause before him, and fill my mouth with arguments." Job 23:3-4

Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth.
Once have I spoken; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further."Job 40:3-5

"Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.
Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous
Hast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him?" Job 40:7-9

Reactions: amadeus

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hope in God

Wow, it should be called the book of reason. Lots of good verses in there. I think his miserable comforters were not entirely wrong in some of the things they learned which came out of their own personal walks. It's just that they were greatly off the mark when prescribing a way of escape for Job.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, it should be called the book of reason. Lots of good verses in there. I think his miserable comforters were not entirely wrong in some of the things they learned which came out of their own personal walks. It's just that they were greatly off the mark when prescribing a way of escape for Job.
Even so!