Great Lead-in

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just thought some of you might appreciate these words that opened a portion of a new book I am reading.

The ability to see beyond the horizon of one’s own location in history is given to few. Who could have imagined, in the gently sunlit heyday of Edwardian England, that the grimmest and most devastating war ever to afflict the human race lay less than a decade away? There was little sense at the time of a gathering storm, of standing close to the edge of a cataclysmic precipice. Hindsight is invariably infallible, allowing later observers to discern the fault-lines, the tensions, the shifting in the tectonic plates of history that presaged the tidal waves that would engulf nations and cultures. Yet at the time these often passed unnoticed, their significance not appreciated until after the deluge.

Could the turmoil of the Reformation have been predicted? Could it have been deferred, perhaps even deflected, by some skillful footwork on the part of the church hierarchy? What would have happened if the son of Hans and Margarette Luther had died shortly after his birth on November 10, 1483? These questions, though illuminating and not a little provocative, cannot be answered with any confidence. The historian, however, can hope to achieve at least some degree of understanding and appreciation of what actually happened, and above all to discern why a seemingly trivial protest by an unknown German academic at one of Europe’s most insignificant universities proved to be the spark that ignited a conflagration that engulfed much of the Western church.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good thoughts...

And a reminder too...that the men God used were not all 'perfect'..either in their walk or the doctrine they preached... But God Plan advanced through them.

And He still uses imperfect men, for His Glory.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yhis is one of them thinking reads. I thought it was beautiful. Honestly kept spacing though. Think I need to go to sleep tonight. Lol

Reactions: Willie T

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish I could remember the author of the story about the train carrying coal through the back of the neighborhood and when it whistled, all the screen doors would bang the whole way down the row as the women rushed out to get their laundry off the lines. It was masterful! Put you right there. You even heard the sounds!

Reactions: Helen and Willie T