Have any of you ever considered...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, but my thoughts about that faded pretty quickly. There's too much out there, too much coming true, and too many personal experiences for it to be nothing more than the result of random chance.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
(wildxx;21388)
The possibility that there might not be a God?
For an instant, and then His Holy Spirit Who dwells within me assures me that He is very real and that nothing can exist without Him.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Of course but the more I studied his Word to prove to myself it was an invention of men the more I was filled with knowledge and his spirt The more fulfilled and complete and at peace I became till soon the more my life was filled with Him the happier I becameand Now I would rather die than say he doesnt exist.

jkdjr25

Nov 5, 2007
I thought about it at one time. However I look at the world around me and gaze in child like wonder and the marvel of creation. No, my friend. I know there is a God.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(kriss;21455)
Of course but the more I studied his Word to prove to myself it was an invention of men the more I was filled with knowledge and his spirt The more fulfilled and complete and at peace I became till soon the more my life was filled with Him the happier I becameand Now I would rather die than say he doesnt exist.
I completely agree with Kriss. Christ already fulfilled me with joy and He is in my heart.
smile.gif
And I used to be an Atheist. And I was one by default.Lovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

haanne

Oct 29, 2007
Wildxx, Have you ever considered that God is there? Have you ever had a answered prayer but just shaken it off as coincidence? Have you ever taken the time to sit down in a quiet room with a bible to see what it says... for yourself. There are more people telling what the bible says these days, than actually reading for themselves. You might give it a try. God is good. And if you were lead to this site full of people who love God and love you because of Jesus, I personally believe he has purpose for you. _with love.

ps77

Nov 3, 2007
As my first post in these forums, I have to say that I cannot deny my belief in God. I look at everything around me, and I wonder how people can just say flat out that it just happened and there isn't a God. That there wasn't somebody behind everything. I mean, sure I have doubts about certain things inside Christianity and stuff, but God, God is beyond all that.

FreeThought

Nov 14, 2007
Of course. Well, depending on what you mean by "God". The personal, anthropomorphic God who literally talks to people, rests on the 7th day,etc is a God that doesn't exist. If you're talking about an abstract, mystical Absolute One type of God, then I'm alittle more agnostic on that.

bruv

Sep 28, 2007
From the moment man opens his eyes to this world a great order surrounds him. He needs oxygen to survive. It is interesting that the atmosphere of the planet on which he lives provides more than just the adequate amount of oxygen he needs. This way, he breathes without difficulty. For the existence of life on this planet, the existence of a source of heat is essential. In response to this need, the sun is located just at the right distance to emit just the exact amount of heat and energy man needs. Man needs nourishment to survive. Every corner of the world abounds in astonishingly diversified provisions. Likewise, man needs water. Surprisingly, three-fourths of the planet is covered with water. Man needs shelter, and in this world, there is land on which it is suitable to build and all sorts of materials to make shelters. These are only a few among billions of details making life possible on earth. In brief, man lives on a planet perfectly designed for his survival. This is certainly a planet "created for human beings". A person's interpretation of the world rests on "acquired methods of thought." That is, he thinks in the way he has been taught, or, less kindly, the way in which he is indoctrinated. Under this misguidance, he often dismisses all the aforementioned as "trivial realities." However, if he does not side-step the matter, and start questioning the conditions making our existence possible, he will surely step out of the boundaries of habitual thinking and start to think:
  • How does the atmosphere serve as a protective ceiling for the earth?
  • How does each one of the billions of cells in the human body know and perform its individual tasks?
  • How does this extraordinary ecological balance exist on earth?
A person seeking answers to these questions surely proceeds on the right path. He does not remain insensitive to things happening around him, and doesn't plead ignorance about the extraordinary nature of the world. A person who asks questions, who reflects on and gives answers to these questions will realize that on every inch of the planet, a plan and an order reigns:
  • How did the flawless order in the whole universe come into being?
  • Who provided the delicate balances in the world?
  • How did living beings, incredibly diversified in nature, emerge?
Keeping oneself occupied with relentless research to answer these questions results in a clear awareness that everything in the universe, its order, each living being and structure is a component of a plan, a product of design. Every detail, the excellent structure of an insect's wing, the system enabling a tree to carry tons of water to its topmost branches, the order of planets, and the ratio of gases in the atmosphere, are all unique examples of perfection. In every detail of the infinitely varied world, man finds his Creator. God, the owner of everything in the whole universe, introduces Himself to man through the flawless design of His creation. Everything surrounding us, the birds in flight, our beating hearts, the birth of a child or the existence of the sun in the sky, manifest the power of God and His creation. And what man must do is to understand this fact. These purposes owe their existence to the fact that everything has been created. An intelligent person notices that plan, design and wisdom exist in every detail of the infinitely varied world. This draws him to recognition of the Creator.Some scientists who admit that the universe is created by a Creator and who are known by their cited attributes are:
  • Robert Boyle (the father of modern chemistry)
  • Iona William Petty (known for his studies on statistics and modern economy)
  • Michael Faraday (one of the greatest physicists of all times)
  • Gregory Mendel (the father of genetics; he invalidated Darwinism with his discoveries in the science of genetics)
  • Louis Pasteur (the greatest name in bacteriology; he declared war on Darwinism)
  • John Dalton (the father of atomic theory)
  • Blaise Pascal (one of the most important mathematicians)
  • John Ray (the most important name in British natural history)
  • Nicolaus Steno (a famous stratiographer who investigated earth layers)
  • Carolus Linnaeus (the father of biological classification)
  • Georges Cuvier (the founder of comparative anatomy)
  • Matthew Maury (the founder of oceanography)
  • Thomas Anderson (one the pioneers in the field of organic chemistry)

eternalarcadia

Nov 15, 2007
When pondering the concept of the existence of God, a simple question can be asked. In the beginning God created everything?orIn the beginning nothing created everything?It takes just as much faith to believe in God than it does to believe that something came from nothing. (although there is plenty of evidence for God-- that can be for a different thread though).So why would you even want to choose that God didn't create everything? Because some people don't like the idea of God telling them what to do. They love to sin and rebel against their Creator.God Bless

Euphemism

Oct 15, 2007
By far and large most ancient religions followed the same basic structure, judeo-christianity being no exception. How are you so sure the Christian god is the true god?

Dunamite

Nov 15, 2007
(wildxx;21388)
The possibility that there might not be a God?
Yes, I was an atheist for the first thirty years of my life.Ironically, scientists can prove there is a God. Under current scientific theory there exists a Singularity which exists outside of the space-time continuum. He can be proven mathematically. He is also thought to act upon the multiverse. This does not prove that he does indeed exist, but only that he needs to exist to explain reality. It also tells us nothing of his nature.What this does show is that science and religion are not as far apart as many people think.Religion starts with the notion that there is a God and looks at the evidence from a theological viewpoint, which is God down. It explains reality as the creation of an all-knowing, all powerful, ever present being. It describes history in terms of God's revelation of himself to those whom he created, us. Because we are finite, our understanding of God is limited.Science starts with mankind and looks out, egocentrically. It tries to explain reality in terms our own intellect and observation. Because we finite, we cannot comprehend infinity.Infinity does strange things to matter and energy. The theory of relativity, string theory and chaos theory try to explain what happens as we approach infinity. Things change. Relationships change. Old truths no longer hold. Scientific "laws" need to be changed to compensate.When I was an atheist, I thought that science could explain everything. I believed in scientific empiricism as the only test. After I became a Christian, I thought that science had limitations and could never fully explain reality. Now I am not so sure. I think that I was right in the first place. I think that we can come to a mutual place from both perspectives that explains both reality and God.I think that miracles are not a violation of scientific law, but scientific law taken to its extremes. For if God created matter and energy and natural laws then he would not need to suspend them, he would just use what he has already created knowing how to manipulate them to serve his purposes.This of course, is conjecture on my part.Most people reach a point in enquiry where the are stymied. They think that saying that it began in a Big Bang is sufficient, but that does not explain anything. All it does is provide a label for a process. Matter and energy can be neither created nor destroyed, so something had to pre-exist the Big Bang. If someone does not believe this then they need to review Newton's laws of thermodynamics.So at the very least, an atheist needs to explain this apparent dilemma to his own satisfaction. Even some scientists get very uncomfortable at this point. Some are content to leave it to others, such as nuclear physicists to figure out, which is a cop out.There is a scientific solution, but it also leaves many scientists feeling decidedly uncomfortable. For if there is a Singularity which exists out of the known multiverse, how can we ever get to know his nature? In other words he cannot be observed and measured so science is at a loss to explain it, so in the end they may be at a loss after all.This of course brings us back to the theological perspective. If God does exist out of space and time then we can only know him, if he wants us to know him. Which is what religion is all about.Atheism is on the surface compelling. It takes the position that there is no God and then asks for those who say there is a God to prove it. Unfortunately, atheists need to come up with an explanation of their own which answers all of the questions without copping out. In practice, atheism tries to obfuscate and avoid more issues than it grapples with. It comes like the old Monty Python sketch the Argument Clinic where questions are asked for sake of asking them without trying to find any answers. I know people who take a completely Darwinian perspective. They believe in evolution, so it must follow that here must be no God. They think that biology can explain life, but it can't. Scientists can map the human genome and they can clone but they can't make life. We can tell you that water is made of hydrogen and oxygen, but they can't make hydrogen atoms. Knowing what the basic building blocks are does not explain how they work or where they came from. We can measure many things, but we cannot measure a thought or feeling. We can guess at what part of the brain is responsible for them, but cannot tell you what they are. A Darwinist will explain that animals seek to reproduce their kind and this is their motive for existence, but then why would a person run into burning building to save a complete stranger. If we are mere animals then fear of death and risking not reproducing should keep us for risking our lives for others. Nor can science explain what drives us to create. Art does nothing to propagate the species. There is so much to explain.I am curious why you might think that there is no God, if that is indeed your position.Blessings, Dunamite

Sibotash

Dec 28, 2007
I have to say to all the faithfuls that have posted on this thread: I have recently read a book called "The God Delusion", by Prof ichard Dawkins, which answers a lot (well, actually all) of the questions and "mysteries" mentioned by all of you as reasons why there is a God. Well, I read this book with an open mind and heart and I dare all of you to read it (I mean, REALLY read it) and not have your faith shaken like me. And you know what? For the first time everything around me makes sense, I see the world differently and I have come to realise that you can be a good person without religion. I am going through the most meaningful phase in my life and feel that I'm opening my eyes for the first time to the beauty of the world. A firend of mine gave me a book for Christmas called "Letter To A Christian Nation" by Sam Harris, which very concisely and clearly explains why the Bible is a work of fiction, written by men. Please read it and see for yourselves! I am confiding this in you in good faith.

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
Well of course you can be a good person (by mens standards of 'good') without religion. And I hate to sound harsh but you can be a good person and go to hell too!! You have to be saved through Jesus Christ, and then you will WANT to be good. You can go anywhere in the world and find a great person that isn't religious but being good means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING without faith!!

Sibotash

Dec 28, 2007
You say you hate to sound harsh.. well, the Bible sounds harsh, God sounds harsh to say the least. As for being a good person with or without religion, then explain how over 97% of convicts in prisons are religious? Atheists don't seem to commit as many crimes, so they must be decent people? Morality doesn't come from religion, but, if anything, IN SPITE of religion. And if we took our morality from the Bible then we would approve of slavery, of rape, of selling your daughters as sexual slaves, of murder, or stoning a woman to death if she's not found to be a virgin on her wedding night, of killing your children and lots, lots more atrocities. Thankfully, we don't draw our morals from it!

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
It's everybody's own choice. Nobody forces you to believe in God. Two choices then: heaven or hell. Which one you prefer? God wants you to be saved from eternal hell, but He lets you choose.

Sibotash

Dec 28, 2007
Thunder, belief in God is not a matter of choice: you either do or don't. You can't make yourself believe in God if you really don't. So you believe in God because you're scared of going to Hell? (well, anyone would be scared of Hell, but you're not considering the possibility that Hell might not exist, that Heaven might not exist, that the life we are so lucky to have here on earth is the only one). I prefer the Truth, for better or for worse! And the reason why Im a good person is not because I want to go to Heaven but because I want to be a good person! That, I think, is far more "moral" than being good out of fear.