Heavenly Forgiveness But Still A Worldly Debt

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Polar

Apr 10, 2009
This may come across as a rambling, but it is rather late at night after a long day at work. I was just thinking about God's forgiveness. It is complete and permanent and can always be counted on if you are truly sorry and seek it from Him earnestly. Of this I have no doubt. I also understand that if you commit a sin that breaks a law here on earth, even though God has forgiven you, there will still likely be an earthly toll to pay. If I knock off a 7-11 and a week later I become a Christian and ask God to forgive all my sins, he will forgive all including the robbery.But when I go into the police station to confess, I am still going to do time. Render unto Caesar... It may be a shorter sentence because I confessed or shortened later due to good behavior, but I am still going to do time.I am assuming that also applies to life's other choices. You spend your life doing what you like instead of getting an education and job skills, sinning left and right with almost every decision. Knowing God is there but only approaching him once the bottom has falllen out in your life. Then you come to Christ. He will of course forgive every one of your sins, and if you continue to follow him earnestly, he will provide for your needs.But you are still going to be behind the eight ball for the years you spend doing everything but what God wanted. Low wage job, minimal benefits, limited upward mobility, same trailer park or apartment, etc. etc. etc. That seems to make perfect sense. God will provide for you and if you focus on what His calling in on your life, he will gradually lift you.....But then I think about the parable of the Prodigal Son. He demanded his inheritance, intentionally went against his father's wishes, and departed to indulge himself to the fullest. Only after he had spent every...shekel?...and was reduced to lusting after the corn husks that he had to feed to the pigs did he realize that even his father's servants were better off than he was right now. He decided to go to his father, acknowledge that due to his decisions his father owed him nothing, and beg for a position as a servant in his father's house.When he returned his father hugged him, had them put on him a fine robe and a ring on his finger, and restored him to his place in the family. It was like he never left.The son repented and did not have to pay a worldly toll for the things he did. Was it because he sought forgiveness EXPECTING AND WILLING to pay the price for his sins by living as a servant in the home of his birth?I seen Christians who had it all (according to the world's standard), but then they let their worldly life and possessions gradually rule them. When the bottom fell out and they came back to Christ just as fully and sincerely (at least it appears to me) none of them were returned to the positions/stature they held before.What made the Prodigal Son different? His sincerity? His true level of repentance? His willingness to accept let just to be welcomed back? What makes these situations different?Thoughts?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But when I go into the police station to confess, I am still going to do time. Render unto Caesar... It may be a shorter sentence because I confessed or shortened later due to good behavior, but I am still going to do time.
Well yes, when "you" robbed that 711, you broke God's law by breaking man's law. 'Thou shalt not steal.' is one of the commandments, afterall, and it's a completely reasonable assertion to say it follows that man should have a similar law.QUOTE
I seen Christians who had it all (according to the world's standard), but then they let their worldly life and possessions gradually rule them. When the bottom fell out and they came back to Christ just as fully and sincerely (at least it appears to me) none of them were returned to the positions/stature they held before.
I would think this would be the difference:QUOTE
I Corinthians 10:13There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
If you'll notice, everything given to the son is from the father. Remember that God is literally a heart-knower, and so he knows what folks can take. I think a lot of these people are often in a fragile state of mind, they've sort of had their run in this world, if that makes sense. Keep in mind, though, that the prodigal son is part of a parable, and it is a parable with God being the father in the story. The riches God provides may or may not be physical.

Vickie

Feb 26, 2009
QUOTE (Polar @ Apr 14 2009, 11:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=72571
This may come across as a rambling, but it is rather late at night after a long day at work. I was just thinking about God's forgiveness. It is complete and permanent and can always be counted on if you are truly sorry and seek it from Him earnestly. Of this I have no doubt. What made the Prodigal Son different? His sincerity? His true level of repentance? His willingness to accept let just to be welcomed back? What makes these situations different?Thoughts?
I went to Luke 15:11 and read the parable of the lost son, again. In my humble opinion, verse 11-20 speak of the needs being met by the Lord for those who serve Him. We are without food and clothes and shelter, though it may not necessarily be wealth by the world standards, we are never without when we walk in obedience to the commands of our Lord, serving in our lives daily unto Our Master, the Lord. What I find interesting in this parable is the Father is who is mentioned over the servants. I understand this to be the tribes being spoken to. In Verse 22 There is the ring, and the robe which I believe to be given to Judah, specific blessings that had been promised to these tribes. 24.) says he son was dead but now alive. makes me think of the blindness cast over them. Their time of worldly living without Christ, but knowing the Father and still not living correctly. What I find interesting is that the older brother who verse 31.) told by God, you have Always been with me, us Christians perhaps, that when the 12 tribes are welcomed back by the Lord there is some jealousy going on. This is what is clearly depicted by the older brother. That's my thoughts on the parable. Just my humble opinion. As far as your life, God can give intervention in the judgment given to you. The courts are ungodly as I Cor 6:1 describes these court systems. And to fall into them is not a place to be, but God can give you help there. The Lord will be with you in this valley of darkness. Yeah though I walk through the valley of Darkness I will fear no evil. Walk up right before the Lord and turn to Him with all your heart, which it sounds like you have. He will be with you, his rod and his staff will comfort you. Sounds like you really have your head in the right focus on this whole thing. vickie

Polar

Apr 10, 2009
"Well yes, when "you" robbed that 711, you broke God's law by breaking man's law. 'Thou shalt not steal.' is one of the commandments, afterall, and it's a completely reasonable assertion to say it follows that man should have a similar law." -- Denver-- I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I have absolutely no problem with someone paying the earthly penalty for their earthly crimes. If all you had to do was profess a newfound conversion to Christianity and love for Jesus just to negate the penalty for knocking off a 711 or embezzling from your employer...well...let's just say the sudden massive wave of revival among those facing charges would have to be taken with a very large grain of salt. Likewise there are lessons to be learned, earthly and spiritual from accounting to the world for your crimes. While I have never been charged or convicted of a crime, that does not mean I have not committed a criminal act or done sinful things in my life. I believe that God's grace is the only reason I was not publically held accountable for the things I have done in my past. I have since sought God's forgiveness and, where possible, tried to make amends for my sins. Time and circumstance have made making earthly restitution for many of the things I have done untenable, though. And as far as those who had great blessings in their lives from God but lost it all due to sin...they likely allowed their focus to be changed from the Blesser to the blessings. I understand why their lives would then have to be refined back to where they must focus on Jesus literally for their daily bread, where before the blessings they had received made it easy to exist with Him on the peripherals. While God blesses you sometimes just because it is his nature and not something you have earned or deserve, some blessings...again this is what I myself believe...he first must allow you to mature into being able to handle. Which brings me again to the Prodigal Son...I must confess I have never looked at that parable from the father's (God's) perspective. I have always pondered on it from the son's perspective. His initial justifications to himself, the incredible arrogance, the decimation of all he knew, the regret and likely self-loathing, the incredible humbling, the unexpected gift of total forgiveness and restoration. Looking at it from the father's point of view gives it a totally different perspective.I also take it a step further and wonder how future conversations between the father and the son (as well as the two sons) might likely have gone. Those would be great conversations to learn from.

Vickie

Feb 26, 2009
QUOTE (Polar @ Apr 14 2009, 11:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=72571
This may come across as a rambling, but it is rather late at night after a long day at work. I was just thinking about God's forgiveness. It is complete and permanent and can always be counted on if you are truly sorry and seek it from Him earnestly. Of this I have no doubt. I also understand that if you commit a sin that breaks a law here on earth, even though God has forgiven you, there will still likely be an earthly toll to pay. If I knock off a 7-11 and a week later I become a Christian and ask God to forgive all my sins, he will forgive all including the robbery.But when I go into the police station to confess, I am still going to do time. Render unto Caesar... It may be a shorter sentence because I confessed or shortened later due to good behavior, but I am still going to do time.I am assuming that also applies to life's other choices. You spend your life doing what you like instead of getting an education and job skills, sinning left and right with almost every decision. Knowing God is there but only approaching him once the bottom has fallen out in your life. Then you come to Christ. He will of course forgive every one of your sins, and if you continue to follow him earnestly, he will provide for your needs.
If we want a job in a certain field we have to be qualified. That is just the facts. How one gets qualified is either training on the job, or a school that furnishes it. God's forgiveness is instant. Look at David who killed Uriah, God's little lamb just so he could be with his wife, Bathsheba. David did suffer the loss of their Child. God forgives and really moves on and is not like us. replaying it over in his head, like we do. He wants true repentance and commitment from us to walk in HIS WAYS.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God forgives and really moves on and is not like us. replaying it over in his head, like we do. He wants true repentance and commitment from us to walk in HIS WAYS.
Exactly. Guilt is another MO when it comes to Satan. When you truly repent, you eventually do move on after truly acknowledging that you messed up.QUOTE
Acts 3:19Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
Once you've repented, the Lord doesn't want to hear of it again. In fact, I'd even say it's downright blasphemous to continue to bring it up. Why? Because Christ went on the cross as the one and all time sacrifice. If you repent and bring it back up, are you not trying to repent again for the same sin?