Hell for not getting baptized by water

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Selene
It is not John's baptism that the Apostles were baptizing in. It is Christ's baptism.
The message of repentance that John preached was for Israel:

Acts 13:
He gave testimony and said, ‘I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will.’ 23 From this man’s seed, according to the promise, God raised up for Israel a Savior—Jesus—24 after John had first preached, before His coming, the baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel. 25 And as John was finishing his course, he said, ‘Who do you think I am? I am not He. But behold, there comes One after me, the sandals of whose feet I am not worthy to loose.’

Jesus came for the Lost sheep Israel

Matthew 15:24 The Gentile woman's plea
24 But He answered and said, “I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”
25 Then she came and worshiped Him, saying, “Lord, help me!”
26 But He answered and said, “It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.”
27 And she said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.”

Gentile believers were exempt from the Promises given to Israel

11 Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh—who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands— 12 that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

...but brought near by the blood of Jesus

19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, 21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

by faith....and a promise given to Abraham 430 years before the law came in. Gal 3:17

Galatians 3
6 Consider Abraham: “He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” 7 Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham. 8 The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.”9 So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Selene
No, God sent Peter to baptize them with water.

Acts 10:47-48 Can anyone withhold the water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit even as we have? He ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.
No...Peter was not sent to baptize this family with water. He was sent to preach the Gospel...Please read this verse again...Baptism was an afterthought...

Peter Meets Cornelius
24 And the following day they entered Caesarea. Now Cornelius was waiting for them, and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25 As Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. 26 But Peter lifted him up, saying, “Stand up; I myself am also a man.” 27 And as he talked with him, he went in and found many who had come together. 28 Then he said to them, “You know how unlawful it is for a Jewish man to keep company with or go to one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean. 29 Therefore I came without objection as soon as I was sent for. I ask, then, for what reason have you sent for me?”

30 So Cornelius said, “Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing, 31 and said, ‘Cornelius, your prayer has been heard, and your alms are remembered in the sight of God. 32 Send therefore to Joppa and call Simon here, whose surname is Peter. He is lodging in the house of Simon, a tanner, by the sea. When he comes, he will speak to you. 33 So I sent to you immediately, and you have done well to come. Now therefore, we are all present before God, to hear all the things commanded you by God.”

Preaching to Cornelius’ Household
34 Then Peter opened his mouth and said: “In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. 35 But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him. 36 The word which God sent to the children of Israel, preaching peace through Jesus Christ—He is Lord of all— 37 that word you know, which was proclaimed throughout all Judea, and began from Galilee after the baptism which John preached: 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him. 39 And we are witnesses of all things which He did both in the land of the Jews and in Jerusalem, whom they killed by hanging on a tree. 40 Him God raised up on the third day, and showed Him openly, 41 not to all the people, but to witnesses chosen before by God, even to us who ate and drank with Him after He arose from the dead. 42 And He commanded us to preach to the people, and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead. 43 To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.”

The Holy Spirit Falls on the Gentiles
44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. 45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.
Then Peter answered, 47 “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Angelina said:
not the point...this family was baptized with the Holy Spirit before they were given Johns baptism which John preached only to the Jews....although this family were not Jews, baptism by water was the order of the day for the Jews. It was not necessary but they did it anyway.

I think we have covered all the above already and I honestly don't want to go over old ground for someone who is popping in and out.
Please read the whole thread so that you can catch up to where we are...

Thank you! :)
They were baptised with John's baptism? I hate to break it to you, but John's baptism is NOT the baptism that the apostles were using. They were using Jesus' name baptism. You seem to have missed quite a bit of my 'irrelevant' post, such as this Scripture which makes it crystal clear that John's baptism is NOT the baptism the apostles used, nor should we be using.

Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

And I haven't popped in and out. I just haven't been sitting here waiting for replies :p

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
They were baptised with John's baptism? I hate to break it to you, but John's baptism is NOT the baptism that the apostles were using. They were using Jesus' name baptism. You seem to have missed quite a bit of my 'irrelevant' post, such as this Scripture which makes it crystal clear that John's baptism is NOT the baptism the apostles used, nor should we be using.

Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

And I haven't popped in and out. I just haven't been sitting here waiting for replies

4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. 7 There were about twelve men in all.

You are talking about a group of Disciples who got baptized with the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hands. Paul was saying to them [Paul being a missionary for the Gentiles] Your baptism is John's baptism of repentance - but it is Jesus you need to believe in, so he "Paul" layed hands on them and imparted the gift of the Holy Spirit.

This is exactly what I have been saying in the first place. Water baptism is not necessary for salvation <sigh> :huh:

Shalom!!!

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Angelina said:
Baptism for remission of sins is the baptism of repentance. This is John's baptism which was a shadow...It was Peter who said that and not Paul. Peter was speaking directly to the devout Jews from every Nation under Heaven. Acts 2:5
Acts 1
5 For John baptized with water,but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

The baptism that Peter and the Apostles underwent, was the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. They did not undergo a water baptism.

The Gentiles were being baptized with the Holy Spirit before they were baptized by water as well. The Holy Spirit is a sign that one is saved. The Holy Spirit is the guarantee of our redemption.
Whether or not to be baptized in water is different than being baptized in the Spirit. If they weren't why did Jesus say we must be born again of the water and the Spirit. The two will make one birth.

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

This was confirmed to Cornelius and his group, when Peter remarked:
Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
Act 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Even if one could translate this some other way, how can you go wrong by doing what Peter said. He had the keys to the kingdom.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Whether or not to be baptized in water is different than being baptized in the Spirit. If they weren't why did Jesus say we must be born again of the water and the Spirit. The two will make one birth.

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

This was confirmed to Cornelius and his group, when Peter remarked:
Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
Act 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Even if one could translate this some other way, how can you go wrong by doing what Peter said. He had the keys to the kingdom.
Oh so you're a Catholic as well...the keys were the authority given to the Church. The words that Peter spoke: ..."Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God" This is the Rock [foundation] that Christ would build his Church upon....The Church that is built on this foundation, which is the same Church [body of believer's] that has been given the keys of the Kingdom.

Okay...to save this thread from deteriorating completely into a "I'm right and you're wrong"situation, I think the best thing to do is to lock it. I believe that the original poster had a peace of mind about what he needed to know on the first page.

This thread then, is now locked - Blessings!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.