Hell, Sheol, Hades...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said hell is a myth either!

Is your reading comprehension really that bad? I said the myth of hell. Muhammad Ali once said he was so fast, he turn flip the light switch and be in bed before the light shut off. While Muhammad Ali is real, this myth of Ali is not real. Sheesh.
But your comprehension of Hades is really bad!
To a JW, hell is just the grave and all who die cease to exist till the ressurection. But we know from scripture that is false.
I know, I have lots of them in my family.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is interesting that this thread came out 6 months ago and only one person commented on it. That is typical, no one likes the topic, they stay away from it, even churches steer away from it and maybe just mention it abrubtly, as the unbelievers final destination and that's it - next. Even my Pastor whom was an excellent theologian, never went into much detail. Why? Because it is a stumbling block for most of us. Unbelievers look for reasons not to believe and one main objection to them is, "I can't worship a God who would create an eternal torture chamber!"

This was a good study, however I disagree in a couple areas. You see, I too have an objection that God would create an eternal torture chamber for those who have sinned for a lifetime that might have only lived a few decades or less. Even a whole lifetime of sinning should not yield eternal suffering. God is fair and just and punishments are proportionate to the sin

Unbelieving souls go to Hades (the underworld, but separate from Tarturus, where the demons are) and await their final judgment. At that time as the study says, they are resurrected to experience their final judgment. Which is what, to go back to Hades or deeper into the Abyss/Bottonless Pit? No, to be thrown into the Lake of Fire, which is Hell. Hades isn't Hell and that is a mistranslation. How do I know this? Because at this final, Great White Throne Judgment, Death and Hades are thrown into the Lake of Fire and destroyed.( Rev. 20:14) This is a final event. Sheol can't be the same as Hell if is thrown into itself - doesn't make sense. Death is thrown in there as well. Wait, wasn't death part of Sheol? Yes. And they both will be consumed by the Lake of Fire. And why am I referring to the Lake of Fire as Hell? Because it is the final judgmet that coincides with the destruction of the first heaven and first earth, a massive annihilating fire described in 2 Peter 3:10 The elements of the first earth and universe are burned up in a fervent heat.
So if Sheol (Hades) and the Abyss (Tarturus) are in the underworld, the lower parts of the earth (which scripture claims and I believe) and God destroys the earth ( with Hades and everyone in it, the Abyss and all demons and Satan in it); then it and they won't exist anymore. "Behold, I make all things new, all former things have passed away". (Rev. 21:1)
So it is not an eternal Hell (of punishment and destruction) because the word "aionios" has also a temporal meaning, ages, lifetimes, generations). And destruction means just that, to put an end to. Therefore the translation of aionios into eternal or everlasting was misibterpreted and really means age-lasting or age-during. It's eternal meaning only applies to God and His domain, Heaven.
Everyone who dies goes to hell Ron, simply another English word used for the abode of the dead. Jesus was no exception, and was the first to be resurrected from it permanently.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt 16:18 . . I will build my church; and the gates of Hell shall not prevail
against it.

The Greek word translated "Hell" in that passage is haides which refers to
the unseen world of the dead-- all the dead regardless of age, race, gender,
or religious preference.

* Back in the days of walled cities, entrances looked sort of like double
doors, hence the plural form of gate.

Anyway; the obvious entrance to haides is death. Well; in the pagan mind,
death is permanent, viz: you're gone forever and you're never coming back.
But Jesus says- in so many words --death for his own isn't permanent, i.e.
they're coming back because death for them isn't the end-all.

John 11:25-26 . . He who believes in me; though he may die, he shall live.
_

Reactions: Wrangler

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(...) John 11:25-26 . . He who believes in me; though he may die, he shall live.
Beutiful way of telling us AGAIN that being dead is the opposite of being alive

Luc.9:24 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake is the one who will save it.

(See also Matt.10:39; 16:25 and Mark 8:35).

Actually, loosing (and saving) the life here in Greek, is literally loosing (and saving) the soul (Gr., psy·kheʹ [ψυχή]).

If the soul is something tangible, alive and conscious, how could then a person loose it for the sake of Jesus?