'Henceforth know we no man after the flesh'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'For the love of Christ constraineth us;
.. because we thus judge,
.... that if one died for all, then were all dead:
...... And that He died for all,
that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves,
.. but unto Him which died for them,
.... and rose again.

Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh:
.. yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh,
.... yet now henceforth know we Him no more.
Therefore if any man be in Christ,
.. he is a new creature:
.... old things are passed away;
...... behold, all things are become new.
........ And all things are of God,
Who hath reconciled us to Himself by Jesus Christ,
.. and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
.... To wit,
...... that God was in Christ,
........ reconciling the world unto Himself,
.......... not imputing their trespasses unto them;
............ and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.'
Now then we are ambassadors for Christ,
.. as though God did beseech you by us:
.... we pray you in Christ's stead,
...... be ye reconciled to God.
For He hath made Him to be sin for us,
.. Who knew no sin;
.... that we might be made the righteousness of God
...... in Him.'

(2 Corinthians 5:14-21)

Hello there,

The words 'Henceforth know we no man after the flesh', are words that constantly find their way into my mind. I would value your thoughts on this please. How is this to be understood and applied?

Is it not that we should now view mankind not in regard to fleshly things, such as personal attainment, distinction or the lack of it, but in regard to the spirit within him, and his need of being reconciled to Christ?

Should it not be the life of the spirit within each other that should occupy us, and to which we apply ourselves, rather than the life we live in the flesh, or fleshly considerations?

If this is so, should not the subject headings of the forum reflect this, and not be a place of disputation, and personal one-upmanship as it so often becomes?

Should not the spiritual needs of our fellow participants be of more concern than of gaining the upper hand in a discussion?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
.... and rose again.

.. he is a new creature:
.... To wit,
.. Who knew no sin;
...... in Him.'

Hello there,

The words 'Henceforth know we no man after the flesh', are words that constantly find their way into my mind. I would value your thoughts on this please. How is this to be understood and applied?

Is it not that we should now view mankind not in regard to fleshly things, such as personal attainment, distinction or the lack of it, but in regard to the spirit within him, and his need of being reconciled to Christ?

Should it not be the life of the spirit within each other that should occupy us, and to which we apply ourselves, rather than the life we live in the flesh, or fleshly considerations?

If this is so, should not the subject headings of the forum reflect this, and not be a place of disputation, and personal one-upmanship as it so often becomes?

Should not the spiritual needs of our fellow participants be of more concern than of gaining the upper hand in a discussion?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

That is why Christians still go forth preaching the good news of the Kingdom Chris, as Mat 24:14 is not yet fulfilled. But we are getting very close to it's conclusion I believe.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Will share this with you, Charity.

Hello @MatthewG,

Thank you for including the link. I have listened to it, and am in agreement with what the speaker says concerning the verses in 2 Corinthians 5 (quoted in the OP), but don't feel able to click the 'like' button because I am not entirely happy with his final words, which I believe he needs to think out further.

I anticipate you receiving some come-back on the subjects raised within the address delivered within this link: but I thank you for letting me hear it.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is why Christians still go forth preaching the good news of the Kingdom Chris, as Mat 24:14 is not yet fulfilled. But we are getting very close to it's conclusion I believe.
'And this gospel of the kingdom
shall be preached in all the world
for a witness unto all nations;
and then shall the end come.'

(Mat 24:14)

Hello @Robert Gwin,

Thank you for responding.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Chris,

You are very welcome, if you see all of the channel and click playlist you will see that Shawn has been through all of the New Testament. Shawn is now finishing up Romans; and going to by next year in February journey onward into teaching the Old Testament.

This has been the only teacher who has ever taught me anything about the bible in a way that from my own videos try to follow to the best of my ability because believe in being truthful when it comes down to teaching the Word of God; which can be tough to do. Though also believe allow still others to have their freedom to have their own thoughts, and opinions of what the scripture may mean to them and hope for God to lead them in spirit to the truth of what is reality.

Love at the end of the day and respect of others is where is at walking in faith, and living by the spirit of Christ with-in us. We love, because He first loved us. Living in the aspect of how Jesus Christ himself lived. Humble, lowly, gentle, and speaking the truth regardless of being popular.

Am subject myself to having change my own mind on things just like any other person, and open to listening and hearing insights from others.

You are very welcome thank you for taking your time to even consider,

~ Much love; may the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, love of God, and fellowship of the holy spirit be with you.

Reactions: charity

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Henceforth know we no man after the flesh'
OP ^

First... using the simple, "who, what, when, where, how, why" application...

WHO - is the "we", that have become "Converted" IN Christ.

WHEN - is the "HENCEFORTH", of otherwise, from the application point of "CONVERSION" forward forever.

The WHAT - is a bit more "in depth".
(As it Applies to Spiritual Application).
"The" god of "this world"...
IS: a spirit, satan.
"The" God of the "Heavenly world"...
IS: A Spirit, the Lord God Almighty.

A Converted man, knows every other man BY his spirit, BE his spirit;
"IN" this world, "IN" Christ, "WITH" Christ, but "NOT OF" this world.
"OR"
"IN" this world, "OF" this world, and his spirit, "WITH" the god "OF" this world.

HOW - By a mans own testimony which flows from his own mouth.
HOW - By the works a man does or does not do.

WHY - By Gods OWN WORD...
That "he who IS NOT WITH HIM" "IS" AGAINST HIM.

God Established Division, in the beginning.
Jesus "put an exclusive" on the Division, among men, with the express Knowledge...(of either or...NO kind of, Sort of, sitting on the fense post deciding which side to dive into with a commitment.)

Ex 8:
[
23] And I will put a division between my people and thy people: to morrow shall this sign be.

Luke 12:
[
51] Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

John 7:
[43] So there was a division among the people because of him.

Matt 12:
[
30] He that is not with me is against me...

SUMMARY;
The Converted KNOW all men BY their "spirit", be it "WITH Christ", or be it "WITH Satan".

Anyway, my POV.

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: MatthewG

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
.... and rose again.

.. he is a new creature:
.... To wit,
.. Who knew no sin;
...... in Him.'

Hello there,

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
When we became Christians, we were given a new spiritual perspective, not like the freshly, blind, outward view of the world filled with worldy standards and interests, that we once had. Now we regard things spiritually, beneath the surface.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we became Christians, we were given a new spiritual perspective, not like the freshly, blind, outward view of the world filled with worldy standards and interests, that we once had. Now we regard things spiritually, beneath the surface.

That would make a lot of sense. It seems to me that we come to a realization of who we are in Christ Jesus; growing from a small seed (babe in Christ) to that of a (flower budding - increasing growth in Christ).

With this Key of understanding we notice what the world does but as Christians in understanding ourselves to have made mistakes and bad choices in and through out life by our faith it seems you make a choice if you are going to react upon what you see in the fleshly of what someone may do or how they may act.

Though all crimes have their punishment it seems we not longer henceforth no longer look at the flesh but instead try to look deeper beneath the surface like you had said. There could be a person who has spiritual darkness, or is spiritually dead that has yet to come to the light of Christ.

This is just something that came to mind as reading and trying to grasp what you are saying. My opinion could be off and wrong, it does seem similar in retrospect of what Taken as shared.

Thank you for sharing this insight here, Ronald.

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh:
yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh,
yet now henceforth know we him no more.'

(2 Corinthians 5:16)

@Robert Gwin, @MatthewG, @Ronald David Bruno, @Taken,
Hello there,

Thank you for all your input.

* I have a sister (in the flesh) who is also my sister (in the spirit) for she is born from above by the Spirit, through the all-sufficient sacrifice of Christ. When we meet, which is usually once a week, we spend a little while catching up on family news and general conversation: but what has increasingly become the chief reason for our meeting, is to gather around the word of God and receive what He has to give. To know Him is our object. :)

* My sister is a very open person who shares how she feels readily, and so I have had the joy of seeing the Lord's handiwork in her life, as she has shared how He has led her and supported her, comforted her and also chastened her during her christian walk. This is what I believe knowing someone in the spirit means. It is concern for the spiritual well-being of another, rather than physical wellbeing, although that is also of importance, obviously.

* The people in Tennessee have lost everything, and also lost loved ones in those dreadful floods, and we pray that their physical and emotional needs will be met, but most importantly that their faith in God 'fail not' (Luke 22:32): For if our hope be for this life only how unhappy we would be. (1 Corinthians 15:19)

* By letting the word of God dwell in us richly (Colossians 3:16), God is able to use us to supply the spiritual needs of those around us, by speaking 'truth' one to another, thus feeding the spirit and bringing life and growth to the inner man.

'Till we all come in the unity of the faith,
.. and of the knowledge of the Son of God,
.... unto a perfect man,
...... unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children,
.. tossed to and fro,
.... and carried about with every wind of doctrine,
...... by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness,
........ whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
But speaking the truth in love,
.. may grow up into Him in all things,
.... which is the head,
...... even Christ:
From whom the whole body
.. fitly joined together and compacted
.... by that which every joint supplieth,
...... according to the effectual working in the measure of every part,
........ maketh increase of the body
.......... unto the edifying of itself in love.'

(Eph 4:13-16)

Praise God!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewG and Taken

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
.... and rose again.

.. he is a new creature:
.... To wit,
.. Who knew no sin;
...... in Him.'

Hello there,

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

We could all benefit from this as it deflates our ego and leaves room for growth.

For all those things My hand has made, And all those things exist,” Says the LORD. “But on this one will I look: On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, And who trembles at My word. Isaiah 66:2