Here's your blessing---- except, what is it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I heard another message on the radio during lunch today from a prominent ministry about Jacob and Esau, and how Jacob stole the blessing from Esau. I heard nowhere what the blessing actually contained, and indeed, skipped over the definition of the birthright. This is what I call anemic Christianity when we are told about God's blessing, and compare it to our lives by submission as Jacob learned to do while wrestling with the angel. But then it ends there.Such teaching is like teaching a person what the chess pieces are, and how they move, and then asking them to play the game without understanding that the object is to catch the opponent's king.Or again, it is like reading only the funny parts in a story just for laughs and to make us feel better without understanding the plot and purpose.Ask the average Christian what the birthright and blessing was that Jacob so desperately wanted, and most cannot answer---- it's some ethereal benefit from God to them. Yet, nothing could be further from the truth.This is the core foundation of the bible, the object of the chess game, or the plot and purpose of the story so-to-speak. Included in the promises are the promises of Messiah, and when part of the birthright is rejected or misunderstood, the Messianic promises go out the window by default. And the Messianic promises and fulfillments is one of the core teachings of Christianity.What a shame.

For Life

Feb 24, 2007
So fill us in, please. I thought Jacob was trying to receive a blessing from God prematurely and through shameful means. Kind of like Jacob was trying to shortcut his path to glory from God. What is the birthright and blessing??