Heresy and Mortal Sin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saint of Light

Aug 22, 2023
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was thinking about heresy lately. In the past, I didn’t really seem to mind it. So what if other denominations have non-trinitarian views? I mean, it’s not like they did (or rather believe) anything super wrong. Or so I thought…

Recently God explained to me why heresy is a mortal sin, and he framed it as theft of his intellectual property. It makes perfect sense: God wrote the Bible, as 2 Timothy 16 says here: “All scripture is God-breathed.” When a false prophet alters various theological concepts and scriptures, all done for the purpose of self-gain, he is stealing our heavenly father’s copyrighted material.

From my readings on Wikipedia, the editors suggest that heresy arises due to mistranslations of the Bible or other errors with language and interpretation, so (purportedly) it follows that ideas get passed down incorrectly like the children’s telephone game. Yet this theory doesn’t have any merit, especially when you read the biographies of people like Arias. He was clearly in it for self-gain, as were all heresiarchs. They are all basically charismatic leaders who create new pseudo-Christian religions (having altered theological precepts to the point where their faith only sort of resembles Christianity) and attract many followers, which in turn leads to more influence, power, and money for themselves. Heresy never begins as a mere accident.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was thinking about heresy lately. In the past, I didn’t really seem to mind it. So what if other denominations have non-trinitarian views? I mean, it’s not like they did (or rather believe) anything super wrong. Or so I thought…

Recently God explained to me why heresy is a mortal sin, and he framed it as theft of his intellectual property. It makes perfect sense: God wrote the Bible, as 2 Timothy 16 says here: “All scripture is God-breathed.” When a false prophet alters various theological concepts and scriptures, all done for the purpose of self-gain, he is stealing our heavenly father’s copyrighted material.

From my readings on Wikipedia, the editors suggest that heresy arises due to mistranslations of the Bible or other errors with language and interpretation, so (purportedly) it follows that ideas get passed down incorrectly like the children’s telephone game. Yet this theory doesn’t have any merit, especially when you read the biographies of people like Arias. He was clearly in it for self-gain, as were all heresiarchs. They are all basically charismatic leaders who create new pseudo-Christian religions (having altered theological precepts to the point where their faith only sort of resembles Christianity) and attract many followers, which in turn leads to more influence, power, and money for themselves. Heresy never begins as a mere accident.
It seems to me the Bible gives warnings about this very thing.

2 Peter 2:3 KJV
And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

This doesn't sound like an accident,

2 Peter 2:13-14 KJV
13) And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;
14) Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:

Ephesians 4:14 KJV
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

I think it's a sound warning that we should not be seeking our own gain.

Hebrews 13:5 LITV
Set your way of life without money-loving, being satisfied with present things; for He has said, "Not at all will I leave you, not at all will I forsake you," never!

Great first post, and Welcome!!!

Much love!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Put 100 Christians together and you'll get 100 different theologies. We know that one must know and obey Jesus to be saved. Beyond that, it doesn't matter.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Welcome to the forum. You'll get a plethora of opinions and doctrines. Thankfully, one only needs to believe in and obey Jesus to be saved. One doesn't have to have an encyclopedic knowledge of all of the various bibles.

Reactions: marks

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You must be born again
If someone believes in Jesus and obeys his commandments, do you believe that they are saved? You're absolutely right about being "born again" as Jesus obviously said as much but, for many, it is unclear to them what it means to be born again.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone believes in Jesus and obeys his commandments, do you believe that they are saved? You're absolutely right about being "born again" as Jesus obviously said as much but, for many, it is unclear to them what it means to be born again.
Yes, I agree with you, I think many don't realize what "born again" means.

Earthy Adamic people are not able to live in the spiritual realm, being spiritually dead. Like if we tried to live in outer space. We can't. Even that's not a good enough example. We can rocket ourselves into space, and leave the capsule, and be there, if only for a moment before we die.

The natural man cannot even enter the spiritual realm. Therefore we must be born again, recreated a different kind of being who is suited to the spiritual realm. God does that for us when we receive Jesus, believing in His Name.

John 1:12-13 EMTV
12) But as many as received Him, He gave them the authority to become children of God, to those who believe in His name;
13) who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Believing in Jesus, "obeying His commandments" (without being reborn our 'obedience' is not what we'd like to think it is), what the Scripture says is that we must receive Him. Romans 10:9, If we confess with our mouth the Lord Jesus, believing in our heart God raised Him from the dead, we shall be saved.

Not an empty confession though, we don't fool God with empty words. If we will commit ourselves to the Lordship of Jesus Christ, declaring that, and in the belief in His resurrection, the power of God to a new life.

Romans 6 is a great chapter on this, would you like to work through it together?

Much love!