Hi! I am new and would like to start a convo :)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Mary,

I'm sorry my response got lost within the others :/ Also, this past weekend has been pretty busy so I did not realize that it did. I will respond again :)

I agree with you that man is able to interpret scripture. I do not think that the correct way to define scripture has been lost, either. Your question about who exactly defines God's law correctly is a tough one. Because yes, there are many who define God's law (the scriptures) very differently, such as homosexually or abortion being right/wrong. Would you say that a lot or most of confusion from the scriptures is because of misinterpretation of it?

Thank you for your insightful responses,

Natalie
Hi Natalie,

Scripture tells us that during the time of the Apostles there was confusion or disagreement about the teachings of Jesus. A council (Council of Jerusalem) was called to set the record straight and The Church decided what was to be taught/believed by all Christians (about circumcision). Historically we know that other Councils were held by the leaders of The Church. In those councils The Church decided what was to be believed, taught and what books were to be in scripture since all the churches throughout the world were using different books (letters) for their scripture.

Scripture tells us in 1 Timothy that The Church is the pillar and foundation of Truth. Later on, in 2 Timothy, he was told to teach other men what he was taught by the Apostles so that there would be no confusion. As you know hierarchical system with elders and bishops was set up to avoid confusion about the teachings of Jesus. Matthew tells us if we have a disagreement with our brother and he doesn't listen to you or to your fellow brothers you were to take it to The Church to decide who was right. How do we know The Church will make the right decision? Because according to Ephesians The Church was built upon the foundation of the apostles with Christ Jesus as the cornerstone and whatever The Church leaders bind on earth it will be bound in heaven (Matthew 18).

Scripture tells us the Jesus said he would build a (singular) Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.

So to answer your question: Since the Reformation Christians have believed they can interpret the bible; they have thrown The Church away. They believe they are "the church" and their interpretation is just as valid as The Churches.

So I ask you again: Who decides when one has violated Gods law? Who defines Gods law?

In all fairness
you stated in your OP that you were asked to practice what we have learned. If you haven't learned it or thought about it yet then I hope I have asked you some thought provoking questions that will help you grow in your knowledge of Scripture and your Christian history.

Respectfully, Mary