HILLSONG

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am conversant with the phenomenon of Hillsong and the various criticism leveled at it so I thought it might be an idea to start a thread about Hillsong and ask people to post actual evidence (not their ideas or prejudices) to get a perspective on the movement.

I do not want hearsay or theories, but actual evidence such as things you have experienced, seen, or been told by someone who attends Hillsong or has attended Hillsong.

I will start the ball rolling...

Judging by the studies I have done about cults, I believe that Hillsong is a cult.
A cult revolves around one person.
You are not allowed to make any criticism of the cult leader or the senior leaders.
The leaders always do what the cult leader says.
The cult leader is beyond reproach.
You cannot speak to the cult leader. You have to talk to underlings even if they are young enough to be your grandson.
It is not your ministry that promotes you. It is your allegiance to the cult leader.
The women in leadership are beyond reproach and cannot be questioned even if they preach things contrary to the Word of God, (which they often do).
What the cult leader preaches is always right.
There is no freedom to believe the truth.

Apart from my studies, I have been a member of two cults which I did not realize they were until I had joined them. After I had joined them and started seeing a trend I left. One voluntary and the other by secular law when the church had me banned because I questioned what a female leader said because it was complete balderdash.

This church employed an enforcer to remove people that did not submit to their authority. They threatened physical abuse and or calling the police to have me removed from the meeting.
I am a bit confused by your post sir. You say you don’t want hearsay but go on to post hearsay.

I like some of their songs. I don’t think Hillsong fits the definition of a cult. Are there other churches that has members worldwide that fit your definition of a cult?

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am a bit confused by your post sir. You say you don’t want hearsay but go on to post hearsay.

I like some of their songs. I don’t think Hillsong fits the definition of a cult. Are there other churches that has members worldwide that fit your definition of a cult?

This thread is about Hillsong not other churches.

Please point out the hearsay as I have not posted any.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You said Hillsong employed an enforcer to remove people that did not submit to their authority AND they threatened physical abuse and or calling the police to have me removed from the meeting.

You were present during those events?

Curious Mary

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You said Hillsong employed an enforcer to remove people that did not submit to their authority AND they threatened physical abuse and or calling the police to have me removed from the meeting.

You were present during those events?

Curious Mary
I never said any such thing. if I did then show me.

Reactions: Taken and Stan B

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said any such thing. if I did then show me.
Post #144 is “cut and pasted” from the last paragraph of your original post. Have you already forgotten what you wrote??

I feel like your joking with me....:rolleyes:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I know this thread is not about other churches. I am just trying to get a comparative idea on what you mean by cult. According to the dictionary definition of “cult” all religions are a cult soooooo I was just wondering what other denominations/religions YOU consider a cult.

curious Mary

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I know this thread is not about other churches. I am just trying to get a comparative idea on what you mean by cult. According to the dictionary definition of “cult” all religions are a cult soooooo I was just wondering what other denominations/religions YOU consider a cult.

curious Mary

I agree that many church display their cultic practices, but object to those who point out this fact for their particular form of cultic practice.

Reactions: Taken

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

curious Mary
I don't comment on something that I have not studied.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In that way, Christ is always with us, even when we are by ourselves. And in small groups, and even where 200 or 3000 are gathered together.

We don't gather in 2's and 3's so Jesus will be present. He is with us already. But in this context there is a point being made, I think.

I agree, we pick up these treasures of knowledge along the way, a reminder that Jesus is with us. But I do like to keep in mind what the passage is set out to teach us.

Much love!
When we understand scripture we can see what it is saying and not saying by what it does say and not say. Soooooo what it is saying is that if two or three are gathered together in my name he is there to make it clear that is all you need to meet with the Lord. And two or three has as much authority as 200. If you do not have 200 it doesn't matter. It is the content of the meeting not the number that counts. As someone has pointed out that God and me are a majority.

We have great difficulty figuring out life in the Spirit and how the church should be because we are so far away from the original and we prefer denominational dictates as opposed to the scripture so we are definitely up the creek without a paddle.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Post #144 is “cut and pasted” from the last paragraph of your original post. Have you already forgotten what you wrote??

I feel like your joking with me....:rolleyes:
This what I said...Apart from my studies, I have been a member of two cults which I did not realize they were until I had joined them. After I had joined them and started seeing a trend I left. One voluntary and the other by secular law when the church had me banned because I questioned what a female leader said because it was complete balderdash.

This church employed an enforcer to remove people that did not submit to their authority. They threatened physical abuse and or calling the police to have me removed from the meeting.

Please show me where I spoke of Hillsong in this comment.

Reactions: Nancy and Taken

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Soooooo what it is saying is that if two or three are gathered together in my name he is there to make it clear that is all you need to meet with the Lord.
Well again I'm simply pointing to the context. It's not really saying what you said.

God is with you right now, and you can "meet with Him" at all times.

If you prefer "denominational dictates" than that is an issue. Now if you are meaning to imply that I'm expressing "denominational dictates" then that has nothing to do with anything, and just makes the conversation about me instead of the Bible.

It's between you and God whether you meet with many or meet with few or none at all.

And we can leave each passage in the context in which we found them.

:)

Much love!

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God is with you right now, and you can "meet with Him" at all times.:)
Much love!

Yes ours is a 24-hour relationship but the passage is not dealing with that. It is dealing with meeting together with others.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This what I said...Apart from my studies, I have been a member of two cults which I did not realize they were until I had joined them. After I had joined them and started seeing a trend I left. One voluntary and the other by secular law when the church had me banned because I questioned what a female leader said because it was complete balderdash.

Please show me where I spoke of Hillsong in this comment.
I sincerely apologize.....re-reading your post I see I missunderstoood what you were saying.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
Hi Marksman,

I asked you “what other denominations/religions YOU consider a cult.”

You responded, “I don't comment on something that I have not studied.”

In your OP you said, “Judging by the studies I have done about cults,...”

Sooooo you have a 1000 book library, have allegedly done studies about cults but can’t seem to tell me what other religions or Christian denominations YOU consider a cult? NONE of the cults you studied in your 1,000 book library were “religious” cults?

Curious Mary

dad

Apr 17, 2020
private
normanbruleart.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are several critiques about Hillsong out there on the internet.

How Hillsong and Brian Houston are Destroying Christianity

Why I Don’t Sing the Songs of Hillsong and Jesus Culture

Why Hillsong Music is Dangerous For Your Church

Is Hillsong a biblically solid church?
I looked at the first link. It seems to be sour grapes and not much substance.

I would judge music for what it is. I like some of their songs. Others I find tedious, repetitive, and boring.

I see nothing so far in the lyrics that tries to do anything but glorify God.

One of the big gripes in your link I noticed was that some churches are closing because they are basically so dead and boring. They blame Hillsong, because the music attracts people, and unless they get on the wagon, they will be left behind.

Whatever they do should not depend on what Hillsong does or thinks. So far is sounds like petty jealousy and casting stones on music that actually reaches many people.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Marksman,

I asked you “what other denominations/religions YOU consider a cult.”

You responded, “I don't comment on something that I have not studied.”

In your OP you said, “Judging by the studies I have done about cults,...”

Sooooo you have a 1000 book library, have allegedly done studies about cults but can’t seem to tell me what other religions or Christian denominations YOU consider a cult? NONE of the cults you studied in your 1,000 book library were “religious” cults?

Curious Mary
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This type of language should be unacceptable on this forum and is a hurtful un-necessary insult to me. But I still love you and pray for you.

Mary

BTW...Just because someone disagrees with you it does not make them stupid.

Last edited by a moderator: