His Name

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OT story of Balaam and how he tried to prophecy against Israel is a fascinating episode similar to the above. God will use anyone, and block anyone, He chooses depending on HIs purpose. Balaam could not prophecy, so he ended up doing things another way. His history, his former home, and his reputation makes me wonder if at some stage he was perhaps a true prophet but had apostatised by accepting money for his services prior to his employment contract with the Ammonite? king.
I have no doubt that Balaam had some gift from God, but I guess like many today he failed to use what was God given for the purpose God intended. All of us can misuse what God has given us and some [prosperity preachers?] seem to prosper [at least in a material sense] and because people also want to prosper that way they latch onto the preacher's lies staying close behind...

Last edited:
Reactions: brakelite

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." Acts 4:12

I have no qualms about Acts 4:12.

How will you reconcile that verse with Isaiah 43:11?

I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

Every time we read the word LORD in all capital letters in the KJV, the printer is telling the English reader that the word LORD is translated JEHOVAH.

To God Be The Glory

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The OT story of Balaam and how he tried to prophecy against Israel is a fascinating episode similar to the above. God will use anyone, and block anyone, He chooses depending on HIs purpose. Balaam could not prophecy, so he ended up doing things another way. His history, his former home, and his reputation makes me wonder if at some stage he was perhaps a true prophet but had apostatised by accepting money for his services prior to his employment contract with the Ammonite? king.
"
Some commentators see a connection between the name Balaam and the New Testament name Nicolas. These two names seem to convey similar meanings and John the Revelator mentions both in close proximity (Revelation 2:6 and 2:15 for the Nicolaitans and Revelation 2:14 for Balaam)."

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no qualms about Acts 4:12.

How will you reconcile that verse with Isaiah 43:11?

I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

Every time we read the word LORD in all capital letters in the KJV, the printer is telling the English reader that the word LORD is translated JEHOVAH.

To God Be The Glory
I have no problem with them. Whoever Jehovah is, whoever the Lord or LORD is, is it not ultimately God who is our Savior? Is it not all in line with God's plan whether we understand every detail or not?

People worry a lot about the difference between the Father and Son, but I do not. I simply concern myself with striving to please God. Are we not to seek His kingdom and His righteousness and leave anything else in His capable hands? He will give us understanding when He thinks we need it. He will not when He does not. Sometimes He may simply provide something to satify our curiosity, but I am not even certain that it would only be curiosity. God is certain.

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Phil 4:11

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People struggle with the Trinity.

Three distinct individuals working in a singular unity called God. All equal in every way in their being.

But each has a unique role not shared with the others. The holy spirit has his role. The father has his role and the son has his role.

Adding to the confusion is the son is the second person of the Trinity who took on flesh/humanity.

The father and the holy spirit did not die for us. The father and the do son not indwell us directly.

Currently the son and the holy spirit do not sit on the throne of God, only the Father does.

Too many people try to lump it altogether.

B

brakelite

you're saying there was no term for "vanity?"
Yes, there are several Maori words for "stuck-up" or vain, each with a different nuance. Such as whakahihi which means arrogant or officious, while whakapehapeha has the connotation of boasting and bragging. Whakataupe leans more towards narcissism, while wairangi goes to the extreme of madness, albeit temporary as in ecstasy. So I guess the folk who translated the Bible (They used the KJV) into Maori considered those words not to quite have the same inflections as the meaning of the English word 'vain' which Strongs suggests an emptiness or perhaps extreme shallowness and a false witness. A lie. By translating it the way they have, "removing the sacredness from the name', I believe they have retained the original intent of the commandment...to maintain the sacred respect and holiness due the Creator, which in the KJV is not so evident.
It ought to be noted also that the Maori language in the 19th century did not have any equivalents to western world concepts. The modern language has developed, so now we have words for windsurfing and computer etc. Ideas and concepts and mindsets are somewhat harder to translate into language, even your own at times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no problem with them. Whoever Jehovah is, whoever the Lord or LORD is, is it not ultimately God who is our Savior? Is it not all in line with God's plan whether we understand every detail or not?

Yes, it is essential that we know in detail how God reveals Himself to man, otherwise what is the point for God in telling us the meaning of each name He reveals of Himself?

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Acolyte

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, there are several Maori words for "stuck-up" or vain, each with a different nuance. Such as whakahihi which means arrogant or officious, while whakapehapeha has the connotation of boasting and bragging. Whakataupe leans more towards narcissism, while wairangi goes to the extreme of madness, albeit temporary as in ecstasy. So I guess the folk who translated the Bible (They used the KJV) into Maori considered those words not to quite have the same inflections as the meaning of the English word 'vain' which Strongs suggests an emptiness or perhaps extreme shallowness and a false witness. A lie. By translating it the way they have, "removing the sacredness from the name', I believe they have retained the original intent of the commandment...to maintain the sacred respect and holiness due the Creator, which in the KJV is not so evident.
It ought to be noted also that the Maori language in the 19th century did not have any equivalents to western world concepts. The modern language has developed, so now we have words for windsurfing and computer etc. Ideas and concepts and mindsets are somewhat harder to translate into language, even your own at times.

Man, I will have to check out these Maori terms on whakapedia. ;)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it is essential that we know in detail how God reveals Himself to man, otherwise what is the point for God in telling us the meaning of each name He reveals of Himself?

To God Be The Glory
It is essential that we follow Him wherever He leads us. He will show to each one that which He knows is necessary. Not every part of the Body has the same function. We should not presume to know the function of all the rest. We simply must fit properly in the body ourselves and be in submission to the Head. He will not misdirect us or leave out any necessary thing.

"But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him." I Cor 12:18

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes He even hated Esau, but who is Esau for us? Is he not the 'old man' within each of us?

Yes, we all inherited the sin of Adam. However, Esau was not the issue as he was not one of God’s elect therefore, God hated him.

Post #50 was my reply to your question set forth in post #17.

Ephesians 2:4-5
4) But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us
5) Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, by grace ye are saved.

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Acolyte

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
However, Esau was not the issue as he was not one of God’s elect therefore, God hated him.
that is the cover story, yes, but when you dig into it it will not hold up, ok, you got promises to Abraham being violated now, all kinds of other problems, God is love, etc. Imo careful about chiselling this characterization of Esau in stone at least, ok

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that is the cover story, yes, but when you dig into it it will not hold up, ok, you got promises to Abraham being violated now, all kinds of other problems, God is love, etc. Imo careful about chiselling this characterization of Esau in stone at least, ok

I'm glad it's only your opinion. Sure, God is love but He also HATES workers of iniquity!

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 19:12-13
"...a name..."
"...His name..."
Even though He goes by many names and descriptions in the bible, maybe there is "a name" that is not written in the bible? Then"...hath a name written..."
"and "His name is called sound like two different things altogether. Hope I am making some kind of sense anyhow lol.

I believe you might be on the right track,

Genesis 4:25
"...and she bare a son, and called his name Seth..."

Psalms 2:7
"Thou art my Son: this day have I begotten thee."

These two verses above might correlate but I don't know how to articulate and mesh them together. Perhaps, someone might be able to mesh/relate them together.

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, we all inherited the sin of Adam. However, Esau was not the issue as he was not one of God’s elect therefore, God hated him.
What I see apparently you do not. Who is it that God hates? Those who are unredeemable because of where they are and what they are willing or unwilling to do. As to inheriting from Adam, that was simply death. Adam and Eve were dead when they had children so all of their children were dead. Life did not come to anyone until Jesus brought it. Even then many did not take hold of it. Some who did take hold of it at first made the same choice that Adam and Eve did. They chose to return to death...
Post #50 was my reply to your question set forth in post #17.

Ephesians 2:4-5
4) But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us
5) Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, by grace ye are saved.

To God Be The Glory

These verses speak also of the Life Jesus brought. But... many are dead nevertheless. Their choice. This is free will. Choose Life or choose death.
Yes, indeed, to God be the glory!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe you might be on the right track,

Genesis 4:25
"...and she bare a son, and called his name Seth..."

Psalms 2:7
"Thou art my Son: this day have I begotten thee."

These two verses above might correlate but I don't know how to articulate and mesh them together. Perhaps, someone might be able to mesh/relate them together.

To God Be The Glory

Lots of tracks, seemingly, various types or shadows of the one reality helping us understand if our hearts are open to hear His voice. an see His face. Jesus is the real truth, but there many types of him to be seen throughout the scriptures which can help us fill in all of the empty places and to move from seeing as through a glass darkly to that "face to face" vision.
Give God the glory!

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I see apparently you do not.

Very well put! You believe in a gospel that man has a “free will.” Accordingly, I believe that the Bible alone and in its’ entirety determines and structures the true Gospel. And, I have found this to be the problem with Christendom! There are just too many gospels floating around.

The ONLY way anyone can be saved is if the Father draw him (John 6:44). Salvation is the work of God alone without any help from man, and we call that grace.

What a GRACIOUS and AWESOME SAVIOUR I serve, who elected me to be saved from the foundation of the world, which I did not deserve!!!

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Acolyte and amadeus