His Name

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The nature is in the name. We know back in the OT they were named by prophesy ...they were called by a name which reflected the nature that they displayed. And in some..God change the name slightly or with some, completely.

God reveals His nature within the names He has given us of Himself.
As I see it.
Yes, there is so much about the Name to be learned from the names used in scripture, but there is a lot of deafness and blindness among the Bible readers and hearers also...or ?

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:):):)I've read thru the posts, i would like to say
It's JESUS in English, refilled my spirit. Bless you.
The prophets are hard on your spirit.. please remember not all of us are as long on this path. When studying scripture, sometimes it is an Oh my gosh moment. You think to yourself, I'm too far gone. Many of us come here hoping to strengthen our spirit.
JESUS is his name in English!!!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
:):):)I've read thru the posts, i would like to say
It's JESUS in English, refilled my spirit. Bless you.
The prophets are hard on your spirit.. please remember not all of us are as long on this path. When studying scripture, sometimes it is an Oh my gosh moment. You think to yourself, I'm too far gone. Many of us come here hoping to strengthen our spirit.
JESUS is his name in English!!!

Amen! It works for me too! :)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've decided Daniel will have to wait. So nice to get back into NT. Thank you all
BLESSINGS
You take it as it comes. Eventually if you are trusting God all along the way He will be taking you everywhere it is necessary to go.

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God reveals His nature within the names He has given us of Himself.

I agree and believe this.

Exodus 6:3
And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name God Almighty, but in my name Jehovah was I not known to them.

Jehovah means “the existing One.” Same as what we find in Isaiah 43:11.

Isaiah 43:11
I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

Note every time we see the word LORD in all capital letters, the printer is telling us it is the word “YHWH” or “JEHOVAH.”

Jesus came as the Saviour of the world then indeed He must be Jehovah God according to Isaiah 43:11.

However, I am curious when reading Revelation 19:12-13:
12) His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

Yet in the next verse, we know him to be the Lord Jesus.

13) And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

Can anyone help with this apparent discrepancy?

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
12) His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13) And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

To God Be The Glory

I read your post a couple of times.
I am far from a ‘wise one’ ....but I think the answer is in the “many crowns” ...
As He is king of kings and Lord of Lords...why “many crowns”?

Reactions: Nancy

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[QUOTE=""ByGrace", post: 462854, member: 4427"]I read your post a couple of times.
I am far from a ‘wise one’ ....but I think the answer is in the “many crowns” ...
As He is king of kings and Lord of Lords...why “many crowns”?
[/QUOTE]

Can it be because He reveals Himself with many names, as is illustrated in Revelation 19:11?

That would be fair to assume.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree and believe this.

Exodus 6:3
And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name God Almighty, but in my name Jehovah was I not known to them.

Jehovah means “the existing One.” Same as what we find in Isaiah 43:11.

Isaiah 43:11
I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

Note every time we see the word LORD in all capital letters, the printer is telling us it is the word “YHWH” or “JEHOVAH.”

Jesus came as the Saviour of the world then indeed He must be Jehovah God according to Isaiah 43:11.

To God Be The Glory
Can you be a little clearer than what you mean by "apparent discrepancy?"

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word name is not used casually in the bible.

Original Word

Word Origin
o[noma from a presumed derivative of the base of (1097) (cf (3685))
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Onoma 5:242,694
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
on'-om-ah Noun Neuter

Definition
  1. name: univ. of proper names
  2. the name is used for everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing, remembering, the name, i.e. for one's rank, authority, interests, pleasure, command, excellences, deeds etc.
  3. persons reckoned up by name
  4. the cause or reason named: on this account, because he suffers as a Christian, for this reason
Every one's name, first and last, mean something.

No laughing allowed, but my first name means "world ruler". That my last name is a dit name, due to my Indian ancestry. It means "leader of 10."

Considering my family dates back centuries in the U.S., Not hard to understand any significance to the names are gone.

Last edited:

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I appreciate your question.
Are you saying there is no discrepancy between Revelation 19:12-13?

I thought my question was clear. In verse 12 it indicates no man knew the name but himself, but in verse 13 He is known as the Word of God (Jesus).

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I appreciate your question.
Are you saying there is no discrepancy between Revelation 19:12-13?

I thought my question was clear. In verse 12 it indicates no man knew the name but himself, but in verse 13 He is known as the Word of God (Jesus).

To God Be The Glory
Revelation 19:12-13 New International Version (NIV)
12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself.

13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.

I will add:
Revelation 2:17 New International Version (NIV)
17 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give that person a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it.

Original Word

Word Origin
o[noma from a presumed derivative of the base of (1097) (cf (3685))
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Onoma 5:242,694
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
on'-om-ah Noun Neuter

Definition
  1. name: univ. of proper names
  2. the name is used for everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing, remembering, the name, i.e. for one's rank, authority, interests, pleasure, command, excellences, deeds etc.
  3. persons reckoned up by name
  4. the cause or reason named: on this account, because he suffers as a Christian, for this reason
When you compare the verses there's no contradiction, but a realization that there are certain names we just simply are not told and are not for sharing.

Name carries more meaning than just a label to write one forms, etc.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To God Be The Glory
Perhaps your question has already been answered on this thread as well as it can be by several people or even by no one at all.

What is his name? Look above to Rev 19:11 where he is called Emmanuel, Jesus , Faithful, True or elsewhere called: Wonderful, Counselor, Prince of Peace , the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father... etc. but in spite of these names, who knows his name? The one who has it in his heart knows it, but who is that or who are they?

Reactions: Jun2u

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps your question has already been answered on this thread as well as it can be by several people or even by no one at all.

What is his name? Look above to Rev 19:11 where he is called Emmanuel, Jesus , Faithful, True or elsewhere called: Wonderful, Counselor, Prince of Peace , the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father... etc. but in spite of these names, who knows his name? The one who has it in his heart knows it, but who is that or who are they?

Yes, but Revelation 19:12 specifically states and stipulates, “And he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

Could God be stating of Himself as: “I am, who I am,” “The first and the last,” “From everlasting to everlasting,” so THAT He cannot be distinguished from other gods because He is the ONLY TRUE GOD and none beside Him?

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Acolyte and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but Revelation 19:12 specifically states and stipulates, “And he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

Could God be stating of Himself as: “I am, who I am,” “The first and the last,” “From everlasting to everlasting,” so THAT He cannot be distinguished from other gods because He is the ONLY TRUE GOD and none beside Him?

To God Be The Glory

Revelation 19:12-13
"...a name..."
"...His name..."
Even though He goes by many names and descriptions in the bible, maybe there is "a name" that is not written in the bible? Then"...hath a name written..."
"and "His name is called sound like two different things altogether. Hope I am making some kind of sense anyhow lol.

Reactions: Acolyte
B

brakelite

nice, he could not take the Lord's Name in vain if he tried imo
only believers can do that
Because there was/is no way to translate "in vain", in the Maori Bible the 3rd commandment is translated thus...(Exodus 20:7)
Kei whakahuatia noatia e koe te ingoa o Ihowa….
Translated literally back into English it reads...you shall not remove the sacredness from the name of God...which I like better.

Reactions: bbyrd009
B

brakelite

And maybe what we see is expressed by or through a man who is simply a devil who quotes scriptures. Is every Bible spouter a man of God in every word he speaks? But it does comes at us from not less than two directions, doesn't it?

"And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,

Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;" John 11:49-51

Was this not the same high priest who led or instigated the conspiracy against Jesus?. He did not even know the Name, but God used him to prophesy about the One whom he sought to kill.
The OT story of Balaam and how he tried to prophecy against Israel is a fascinating episode similar to the above. God will use anyone, and block anyone, He chooses depending on HIs purpose. Balaam could not prophecy, so he ended up doing things another way. His history, his former home, and his reputation makes me wonder if at some stage he was perhaps a true prophet but had apostatised by accepting money for his services prior to his employment contract with the Ammonite? king.

Reactions: bbyrd009

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To God Be The Glory
No other man knew, why? Because more men were spiritually blind [unable to understand His name] and even those who could see were still not seeing clearly but as through a glass darkly. What does the scripture say?

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." Acts 4:12

So who is saved? Those who are aware of a physical name spelled JESUS and pronounced as men will pronounce it may have that ability in their ignorance without knowing who Jesus really is. Consider:

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matt 7:21-23
Did they prophesy and cast out devils and do many wonderful works in his name... without really even knowing his name?

Yet, in spite of their apparently positive testimonies Jesus said, "I never knew you". He never knew them because they really had no idea what he was about or what his name was.

There is a place of perfect Light [understanding, knowledge of his name], but who is now seeing so well? Who is on the approach? Anyone who is not on the approach [growing] is stagnating no matter what they may say...
Help us dear Lord!

Reactions: Acolyte