Hollywood and bible movies

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
i agree it was good buy the op asked for something modern.

Reactions: dev553344

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The controversial "The Last Temptation of Christ' is interesting because Jesus chooses to be saved from the cross and live out his life as an ordinary family man with wife and kids, but in the end realises his mistake and asks to be put back on the cross to fulfil his destiny, and his wish is granted-

last-temptation.jpg

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem I see a lot of Hollywood movies is that they tend to try and steer the audience to the progressive Christianity goal or worse.
That's what I see to, and I avoid most all of them.

My sister didn't watch movies about Jesus in particular, because she wanted her perceptions of Jesus formed entirely from the Bible, not Hollywood.

For myself, I just don't like to sit there and watch something and have to think to myself every five minutes, Hey, that's not in the Bible!

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The controversial "The Last Temptation of Christ' is interesting because Jesus chooses to be saved from the cross and live out his life as an ordinary family man with wife and kids, but in the end realises his mistake and asks to be put back on the cross to fulfil his destiny, and his wish is granted-

View attachment 24342
Sounds creepy, like someone's bad idea. Nothing against proposing the movie but Hollywood might have gone too far with that one.

Reactions: BarneyFife

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's what I see to, and I avoid most all of them.

My sister didn't watch movies about Jesus in particular, because she wanted her perceptions of Jesus formed entirely from the Bible, not Hollywood.

For myself, I just don't like to sit there and watch something and have to think to myself every five minutes, Hey, that's not in the Bible!

Much love!
Yeah I kinda have that prob too. I also have my pre-conceived ideas of how things happened. Then when the movie doesn't fit I get thrown off.

Reactions: marks

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you seen "The Ten Commandments?" (1956)

I bought a digital copy from Amazon Prime Video.

It takes some liberties/artistic license, but it's quite a spectacle.

If you don't have access to it I could probably arrange something.

It's not sectarian or anything, I don't think.

(I like "Samson and Delilah" (1949) too. and "The Robe")

It's not something you'd normally find on Netflix and such.

Actually, I just found it:

The Ten Commandments (1956) 720p

It's from a Russian server, so I don't know if it's legit, but I noticed that the pop-up nag screen goes away when you Hit the full-screen icon.
:)

I love the Ten Commandments!
Have you seen the sequel to The Robe-- Demetrius and the Gladiators?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure they're from Hollywood but many of the old Cathedral Films productions from the '50s (I think) can be found on YouTube. They're not bad, actually.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It was a spectacular movie. But I had problems with the portrayal of the relationship between God and Moses. You will have to let me know what you think about the movie.
@devin553344 I watched it last night and like you said it was spectacular but lacking. The bible version is more spectacular though and I didn't like the portrayal of God and like you pointed out the relationship was wrong too.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, now you've got my attention. One of the complaints I have with some of old biblical movies like The Greatest Story Ever Told is that they portray Jesus as being stiff as a board.
Robert Powell was a brilliant Jesus. If you haven't seen it then it's a must see.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@devin553344 I watched it last night and like you said it was spectacular but lacking. The bible version is more spectacular though and I didn't like the portrayal of God and like you pointed out the relationship was wrong too.
I kinda think some Hollywood people like to discredit God because of the old testament and treatment of homosexuals. So they always seem to put a discredit to God killing people. And the Exodus is a prime example of that. I think they're trying to steer young people towards their spiritual city of Sodom and Egypt.

Not that I like God killing people either. But I know he can make it up to people that he kills thru the resurrection and heaven perhaps.

Reactions: Pearl

shortangel

Aug 23, 2020
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i like that movie Jesus of Nazereth it's a very long 3 part movie but it is worth watching

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i like that movie Jesus of Nazereth it's a very long 3 part movie but it is worth watching

It was originally a mini series.......5 nights.....two hours per night , or something close to that...

Here’s a bit of trivia......watch Robert Powell.....He was not allowed to blink in any of the scenes....