Holy Spirit In Or Upon

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
19 Then the Spirit of the Lord rushed upon him, and he went down to Ashkelon and killed thirty men

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In some cases of course, if God decides he wants a person to have the holy spirit for a purpose, he'll bestow it on them whether they want it or not, like he did with Paul on the Damascus road.
Some prophets certainly didn't want the job of prophet and tried to talk their way out of it-
Moses said- "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, I am slow of speech and tongue...Pardon your servant, Lord. Please send someone else.” (Exodus 4:10-13)
And Jonah was so scared he refused pointblank to be a prophet and jumped on a ship to escape, bad call -
"Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish." (Jonah 1:3)
And young Jeremiah said- “Alas, Sovereign Lord, I do not know how to speak; I am too young.” (Jer 1:6)

Reactions: Keturah

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the Spirit of the Lord rushed upon him so that the ropes that were on his arms were like flax that has burned with fire, and his restraints [g]dropped from his hands. 15 Then he found a fresh jawbone of a donkey, so he reached out with his hand and took it, and [h]killed a thousand men with it.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Azariah, Spirit “came on”. Prophesied.
Jahaziel, “came upon.” Prophesied.

Then the Spirit of God [m]covered Zechariah, the son of Jehoiada the priest like clothing. Prophesied.

]It will come about after this
That I will pour out My Spirit on all [s]mankind;
And your sons and your daughters will prophesy,
Your old men will have dreams,
Your young men will see visions.
29 And even on the male and female servants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just read something interesting. A man who said the Spirit can be in you, forming the character of Christ in you and He can also come upon you, for service. He showed verses regarding in you and verses showing upon you, like the one saying you will receive power after He comes upon you. I don’t ever gain anything real good by getting hung up in Greek word studies but…I kind of think the man has it right. I’m pretty sure he does have that right. Can’t afford to buy his book but that was in the excerpt.
That's what I have always believed.

Matthew 3:16 “ As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him.”

Matthew 4:1 “Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil.”

Luke 4:1-2 says, “Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the desert, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil.”

Luke 4:14 says, “Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside.”

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ooh…thanks for that Pearl.
Looking at NT verses next.

Might only give myself a headache. Not sure you can box in the Wind. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So we do have at least one “filled with” in the OT.

Thats notably different. Only one I have found so far in the OT.
He was in charge of building and furnishing the tabernacle and building the ark of the covenant. Also was in charge of the oils and incense

His name means under the shadow/protection of God, supposedly.
He was related to Moses and Miriam. Moses grandnephew, Miriam was…great grandmother I think.

Last edited:

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But the sons of Israel cried out to the Lord, and the Lord raised up a deliverer for the sons of Israel to set them free, Othniel the son of Kenaz, Caleb’s younger brother.10 And the Spirit of the Lord came upon him, and he judged Israel.
"The Israelites did evil in the eyes of the LORD; they forgot the LORD their God and served the Baals and the Asherahs."
God was angry.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There have to be tons more to find in the OT still. Like Elijah and the one who succeeded him who got a double portion.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So with Elijah, it doesn’t say the Holy Spirit came upon him. It is described as: and the word of the Lord came to him.

Then, when Elijah outruns Ahab on horseback, it says, the hand of the Lord was on Elijah.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh gosh sakes, as usual, whenever I set myself to study a thing out, it becomes too overwhelming for me. It’s like…I try to take control, be diligent, I try to say, study to show yourself approved, (whatever the heck that means), but it doesn’t work. It’s not how it works for me. It’s like I try to race around while I am understanding, as if the weather is right for work, and almost immediately the good weather is gone and I have no understanding again.

Believe me, I do not always post these wranglings because I want more mocking. I could care less, mocking or no mocking. I post them thinking, well, maybe this time someone will have the understanding to help me in this whole….seeing then not seeing thing. But I’m pretty sure at this point there’s never going to be any help from a person.
I’ve tried coming at it from so many different angles. Each time I think, let’s try this or let’s try that this time or maybe THIS is how to approach it or maybe THAT is how to share it.
But theres never any help, there’s never any coming along beside or moving in sync together, it’s just a bunch of moving parts, unoiled and grinding and shrieking against each other. No one knows the way to work so they can tell it. And let even one small gear glide smoothly against another part for even one second and my gosh the lowing and stampeding and trampling herd reappears and kicks at the smoothly gliding parts until they stutter and shriek again. And in disgust, I give up. But then the good weather returns and along with it the aching desire to share it, to find some sort of harmony and syncing, so the whole thing starts again. No one knows how to keep it going so they can tell it to us.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ooohh….I just found that answer, moments later, by another man. It’s spiritual immaturity. I indulge in some sin and it knocks me out of that seeing and understanding…

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this post from a month ago was correct and it just happened to be brought up to my attention again by a person complaining about it:
Well look at what just came before me that confirms to me I did the right thing, according to Paul, by my promise at the beginning of this thread.
And now I make one more appeal, my dear brothers and sisters. Watch out for people who cause divisions and upset people’s faith by teaching things contrary to what you have been taught. Stay away from them.

another version says it like…mark them and have nothing to do with them.

Obviously, after a few years, it should become apparent that responding to or giving them any attention or trading barbs or defending myself is NOT staying away and having nothing to do with them but is rather doing the exact opposite of what Paul instructs. I don’t know if it’s for my good or for theirs or for the good of everyone, but Paul was certainly wiser than me so it’s going to be my habit from now on.

If it feels sad (and it really does), like just…turning them over to satan so he can manipulate and abuse them more, then so be it. Paul knew more than I do.
So…I see my mistake. I’m pretty dull of hearing and lacking in focus. But I’ve got it now.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One interesting thing I came across was this.
8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

It struck me as concerns the whole…hullabaloo here recently, complete with bans and new rules, surrounding the Jehovahs Witnesses among us. They were heavily posting on the now banned topic, but it says in the above verse, “you will be MY witnesses.“ Talking always and only about what someone is not is not being a witness of and for them.
It just really struck me.

Reactions: Mr E and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

It struck me as concerns the whole…hullabaloo here recently, complete with bans and new rules, surrounding the Jehovahs Witnesses among us. They were heavily posting on the now banned topic, but it says in the above verse, “you will be MY witnesses.“ Talking always and only about what someone is not is not being a witness of and for them.
It has always struck me that we are the real JWs - but Jesus' Witnesses.

Last edited:
Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus himself declared— ‘The spirit of the Lord is upon me’ and that’s how it happens. Power comes upon and within BY the spirit that is sent from the Father. Like a dove, like a lion, like a bull or a ram or a donkey— if the attribute fits, wear it.

Or like a snake in a garden. Because the evil one sends his sons also.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I began to read a few minutes ago about them because I never had. I actually found a section talking about what I had noticed regarding that exact verse I posted from Acts. I think it is excellent. It explains better what I saw.
From str.org:
Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that they alone are God’s chosen witnesses to the world. As justification for their self-designation, they cite Isaiah 43:10. It says:

“You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord,
“and my servant whom I have chosen,
that you may know and believe me
and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
nor shall there be any after me.”
By applying this verse to themselves, Jehovah’s Witnesses testify that they are the only true witnesses of Jehovah. But is that what this verse is really communicating? Is Jehovah speaking about Jehovah’s Witnesses in this passage?

At Stand to Reason, we have a principle: never read a Bible verse. Simply put, every verse must be interpreted in light of the context. In this instance, the context is clear. Isaiah 43:10 is referring to Israel, not Jehovah’s Witnesses. Jehovah declares, “You are my witnesses.” Who is the “you” being addressed? Isaiah tells us in verse 1. He writes,

But now thus says the Lord,
he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel...
Jehovah is speaking to Israel. The nation of Israel was to be a witness to God’s faithfulness, authority, power, and truth to the surrounding pagan cultures who worshipped false gods. Therefore, Israel is a witness to the only true Jehovah God. This is why Jehovah adds, “Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.”

Theologian and cult apologist Ron Rhodes says, “It is a wild, wild leap to take a verse referring to Israel as God’s witness to the pagan nations in the Old Testament times (over seven centuries before the time of Christ) and claim its fulfillment in a modern-day religious group some nineteen centuries after the time of Christ.”* Rhodes is right. Jehovah’s Witnesses must rely on a gross misinterpretation of this text to derive their name.

Furthermore, we must ask our Jehovah’s Witness friends, if they are the only true witnesses of Jehovah, does that mean God was without a witness for over eighteen centuries before The Watchtower came along? Who was representing the true God during that time period? In addition, why would Jehovah wait over 1800 years before sending his only true witnesses? All of these questions demand an adequate response.

There is another issue that needs to be resolved. The Israelites were to be witnesses of Jehovah in the Old Testament, but the New Testament believers were to be witnesses of Jesus. In fact, Jesus said, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth” (Acts 1:8). Christians today continue to be witnesses of Christ and his bodily resurrection from the dead. When Christians bear witness to the deity and bodily resurrection of Christ (Romans 10:9–10), they are bearing witness to Jehovah since Jesus is Jehovah. Ironically, by denying the deity and bodily resurrection of Jesus, Jehovah’s Witnesses fail to be the true witnesses of Jesus, who is Jehovah.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus himself declared— ‘The spirit of the Lord is upon me’ and that’s how it happens. Power comes upon and within BY the spirit that is sent from the Father. Like a dove, like a lion, like a bull or a ram or a donkey— if the attribute fits, wear it.

Or like a snake in a garden. Because the evil one sends his sons also.
Ah, my mind still cannot do even that. I just sit there puzzled and confused if I try to do it. No matter how hard I concentrate, it cannot happen. I just see God as Spirit - the Holy Spirit. My mind can’t grasp God, who is Spirit, sending the Holy Spirit, who is a separate Spirit. Then I ask myself, well Jen, could you perhaps look at the Holy Spirit as Gods Presence, which you experience, and look at “God the Father” as whatever parts of God you have NOT experienced?
I maintain that no man should insist on ruling over any other man’s mind. It’s a bad thing. We see it run amok now in the world but it shouldn’t be done among us.