Holy Spirit In Or Upon

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just read something interesting. A man who said the Spirit can be in you, forming the character of Christ in you and He can also come upon you, for service. He showed verses regarding in you and verses showing upon you, like the one saying you will receive power after He comes upon you. I don’t ever gain anything real good by getting hung up in Greek word studies but…I kind of think the man has it right. I’m pretty sure he does have that right. Can’t afford to buy his book but that was in the excerpt.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Two examples from the Scripture come to mind.

Luke 1:67-69
67 And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying,

68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,

69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;

And one where the Spirit came upon someone.

2 Chronicles 24:20

King James Version

20 And the Spirit of God came upon Zechariah the son of Jehoiada the priest, which stood above the people, and said unto them, Thus saith God, Why transgress ye the commandments of the Lord, that ye cannot prosper? because ye have forsaken the Lord, he hath also forsaken you.

Interestingly enough, these were both before Pentecost.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess…I think when one man would anoint another man with oil in the OT, It might be like a picture of the Spirit coming upon him or soon coming upon him to use him for service.

• Love
Reactions: Nancy and Wynona

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Two examples from the Scripture come to mind.

Luke 1:67-69
67 And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying,

68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,

69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;

And one where the Spirit came upon someone.

2 Chronicles 24:20

King James Version

20 And the Spirit of God came upon Zechariah the son of Jehoiada the priest, which stood above the people, and said unto them, Thus saith God, Why transgress ye the commandments of the Lord, that ye cannot prosper? because ye have forsaken the Lord, he hath also forsaken you.

Interestingly enough, these were both before Pentecost.
Yes, that first one says filled with the Holy Spirit, even though men say no one was ever filled with the Spirit before Jesus died, but only had the Spirit ON them.

John 14:17
Acts 1:8
John 4:14
John 7:37-39

Reactions: Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t think it’s an exact science. So I don’t think mans theology can rope it in.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Nonchristians don't seem to want the holy spirit, so God is certainly not going to force it on them, but If somebody WANTS to receive and welcome the holy spirit, they're on the right track to getting it..:)
"On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20)

rel-jes-mindmeld.jpg

Reactions: Keturah and ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just read something interesting. A man who said the Spirit can be in you, forming the character of Christ in you and He can also come upon you, for service. He showed verses regarding in you and verses showing upon you, like the one saying you will receive power after He comes upon you. I don’t ever gain anything real good by getting hung up in Greek word studies but…I kind of think the man has it right. I’m pretty sure he does have that right. Can’t afford to buy his book but that was in the excerpt.
He has it right.

Primarily--and not that it is without exception, but the Holy Spirit came "upon" during Old Testament times, and "in" after Jesus went to the Father and sent the Holy Spirit. Which is a time foretold of when God would pour out His spirit "upon" all flesh--stated as "upon", because all do not receive Christ in the process, all do not actually open the door when He stands at the door and knocks.

It is by this act that both good and evil bring forth the end with "increased knowledge" and "abominations" by the power of God.

"But many who are first will be last, and the last first."​

Reactions: marks and Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
31 Now the Lord spoke to Moses, saying,2 “See, I have called by name Bezalel, the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah.3 And I have filled him with the Spirit of God in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all kinds of [a]craftsmanship, 4 to create [b]artistic designs for work in gold, in silver, and in [c]bronze, 5 and in the cutting of stones [d]for settings, and in the carving of wood, so that he may work in all kinds of[e]craftsmanship.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do think this is talking about a specific anointing?? For a specific time and place that a Christian is being called to?

Reactions: Keturah

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then Moses said to the sons of Israel, “See, the Lord has called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah. 31 And He has filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all [ai]craftsmanship; 32 to create [aj]designs for working in gold, in silver, and in [ak]bronze, 33 and in the cutting of stones for settings and in the carving of wood, so as to perform in every inventive work.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord therefore said to Moses, “Gather for Me seventy men from the elders of Israel, whom you know to be the elders of the people and their officers, and bring them to the tent of meeting, and have them take their stand there with you. 17 Then I will come down and speak with you there, and I will take away some of the Spirit who is upon you, and put Him upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with you, so that you will not bear it by yourself.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure love that verse...the beginning of Jesus revealing Himself to the house of Israel!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So Moses went out and told the people the words of the Lord. He also gathered seventy men of the elders of the people, and positioned them around the tent. 25 Then the Lord came down in the cloud and spoke to him; and He took away some of the Spirit who was upon him and placed Him upon the seventy elders. And when the Spirit rested upon them, they prophesied. Yet they did not do it again.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"... And he began to say unto them, To-day hath this scripture been fulfilled in your ears."

Best part!

Reactions: Wynona

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But the sons of Israel cried out to the Lord, and the Lord raised up a deliverer for the sons of Israel to set them free, Othniel the son of Kenaz, Caleb’s younger brother.10 And the Spirit of the Lord came upon him, and he judged Israel.

Reactions: Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
29 Now the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jephthah, and he passed through Gilead and Manasseh

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This one’s a little different.

So the woman gave birth to a son, and named him Samson; and the child grew up and the Lord blessed him. 25 And the Spirit of the Lord began to stir him when he was in [j]Mahaneh-dan, between Zorah and Eshtaol.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
5 Then Samson went down to Timnah with his father and mother, and came as far as the vineyards of Timnah; and behold, a young lion came roaring toward him. 6 And the Spirit of the Lord rushed upon him, so that he tore it apart