Homosexuality and adultery

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
KingJ said:
No, you were not clear. You quoted Matt 5:28 and ignored Matt 5:32.
Because that's what I meant.... I can't help you if you don't want to understand or insist on continuing in your style of misdirection.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Misdirection and equivocation? ^_^. I think you are just not reading what you are writing.

I just want / ed you to better explain yourself....

StanJ said:
1. OT= well that can't be accurate, as Jesus himself instructed the Pharisees and teachers of the Law where they were wrong in their verbal laws that contradicted God's law.
2. NT= Paul mentions many sins, but it wasn't meant to be a comprehensive one. It was meant to address those that came from the Gentiles into the new church.
3. You'll have to show us where Paul says what is grounds for divorce, not just claim it. Jesus said; "I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."
4. 1 Tim 1:9, yes that is right and you can't have a good conscience if you fill it full of bad thoughts. Sinning is a matter of the heart and mind, and begins with our thoughts as Jesus taught. If a woman keeps thinking of other men she will eventually divorce. It actually happened to me!
Stealing is stealing and only legalistic people differentiate.
1. Examples?

2. Are you suggesting that Paul was talking about..... thoughts in 1 Cor 5:9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people.

3. I showed you what Jesus said in Matt 5:32. Matt 5:28 is a rhetorical overstatement. Do you believe we should also run around naked Matt 5:40 or tell woman not to resist rape Matt 5:39?

4. Note you said ''keep thinking''. You acknowledge a sliding scale, why can't you acknowledge that 1 lustful thought < 2 lustful thoughts < Many lustful thoughts < the actual lustful deed that is done whilst knowing / not caring about the pain it will cause God, spouse and kids.

Conclusion: I believe people reading your posts are left thinking that divorce over an immoral thought is fine.

If degrees of sins is not an issue for you, how do you judge yourself when alone before God on knees in fear and trembling? Phil 2:12, 1 Cor 11:31. Degrees of sin run parallel to levels of inner rebellion / certain sins show clearly that one is 'really' lost / flesh is in full control.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
aspen said:
the verse you provided was part of a letter that Paul wrote the church in Corinth. it was a warning against baptised Christians engaging in 'worldliness' - he provided examples of activities that were part of the culture of Romanized Greece, at the time. Activities, which would impede the sanctification of the justified members of the Body. One of those activities was engaging in public sex with prostitutes of the same sex or even friends or co-workers in the Roman bath houses. Homosexuality was singled out because it was the only kind of sex people engaged in when they meet together after work in segragated bath houses - it was part of the decadent culture. If Paul was talking to the Church of Wall Street today instead, he would be pointing out other worldly activities like routine cocaine use during lunch breaks or whatever damaging cultural norm that happens in that group of people.

i was speaking about the women that Jesus saved from being stoned for adultery - i do not think we know her name. Nor do we know if she followed Jesus's advice to 'go and sin no more'. We do know that if she continued to live, she continued to sin.
in some capacity.

Thr point of the story is not for us to become sin-free so that we can go out and condemn others baptised or not. Instead it is to increase empathy and compassion by helping to recognise that we are all recovering sinners and need to accept the love of God and the love of each other.
This is beautifully written and I agree with this take on it. In fact, there are gay couples who love the Lord deeply and follow Him and they are part of congregations that don't condemn them for a relationship they'll never see as wrong or harmful to anyone. Pope Francis has identified the problem that we've failed as Christians to reach out to homosexuals and I am interested in what kind of headway the Catholic Church has made in rectifying this. I hope that gay couples can find sanctuary in the Catholic Church, for these are the very people that Christ wants to embrace....so we should too.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This Vale Of Tears said:
This is beautifully written and I agree with this take on it. In fact, there are gay couples who love the Lord deeply and follow Him and they are part of congregations that don't condemn them for a relationship they'll never see as wrong or harmful to anyone. Pope Francis has identified the problem that we've failed as Christians to reach out to homosexuals and I am interested in what kind of headway the Catholic Church has made in rectifying this. I hope that gay couples can find sanctuary in the Catholic Church, for these are the very people that Christ wants to embrace....so we should too.
Paul makes it pretty clear in 1 Cor 5 that this kind of immorality or sexual misconduct cannot be accepted or condoned in the church. Once cannot advocate they are a believer if they don't believe all of what God teaches in His word, especially the NT, as it conveys the NC we are now under.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
It is only fitting that they do as you have indicated...Revelation 17 and 18

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
thomasleonard said:
What are your views and opinions?
I would much appreciate your opinion on this subject as it arises continuously.
God Bless.
[SIZE=16pt]I will share something about homosexual and other lustful sins, which God has brought to me.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Satan give people feelings. He can and does give people lustful feelings for people of the same sex. Also he gives people feelings for those who are not his or her spouses. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]When people accept those feelings as their own, that is when Satan has won.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Never trust a feeling. Always know if it is not what God would want, then it is for sure Satan. [/SIZE]

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]I will share something about homosexual and other lustful sins, which God has brought to me.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Satan give people feelings. He can and does give people lustful feelings for people of the same sex. Also he gives people feelings for those who are not his or her spouses. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]When people accept those feelings as their own, that is when Satan has won.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Never trust a feeling. Always know if it is not what God would want, then it is for sure Satan. [/SIZE]
Satan may be behind the knowledge of sin / dropping thoughts in our minds....but we are solely to blame for acting on them. There is a million miles of distance in rebellion / evil between someone thinking immoral thoughts and someone actually committing them.

People who go to hell can only blame themselves, not the devil.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Homosexuality IS adultery, against God's master plan for Planet Earth and the human beings He created, in Genesis...to say homosexual couples "love God" is a contradictory terminology..Jesus said in John 14.15 "if you love me keep my commandments" 1st John 5 "this is the love of God that we keep His commandments"

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
heretoeternity said:
Homosexuality IS adultery, against God's master plan for Planet Earth and the human beings He created, in Genesis...to say homosexual couples "love God" is a contradictory terminology..Jesus said in John 14.15 "if you love me keep my commandments" 1st John 5 "this is the love of God that we keep His commandments"
Actually "adultery" and "homosexuality" are two separate issues. Adultery is only between a man and a woman.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Actually "adultery" and "homosexuality" are two separate issues. Adultery is only between a man and a woman.
Well now you're just splitting hairs here. I believe heretoeternity was being all encompassing with his statement.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Born_Again said:
Well now you're just splitting hairs here. I believe heretoeternity was being all encompassing with his statement.
Two different words and two different meanings. You can't commit adultery if you are NOT married in God's eyes, and God does not accept two men as married.

Enquirer

Aug 5, 2014
South Africa
StanJ said:
Two different words and two different meanings. You can't commit adultery if you are NOT married in God's eyes, and God does not accept two men as married.
Absolutely 100% on the button correct ... ding, ding, ding ... we have a winner !!!

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People who embrace and indulge in sinful desires should never find "sanctuary" in the church. The church is not a place where evil behavior should be condoned or protected. As the Apostle Paul writes, “And why not do evil that good may come?—as some people slanderously charge us with saying. Their condemnation is just.” (Romans 3:8, ESV) The idea that we should give refuge to people who indulge in and love sin because God is a God of grace is to twist grace and make the cross of Christ device for perpetuating sin. Show me a place where Christ welcomed and invited those to follow him who were uninterested in repentance or sacrifice. Jesus welcomed everyone who repentantly sought him. He reached out to everyone yes, but he only permitted those who were willing to turn from sin to follow him. He refused to allow people to follow him who were not willing to give up their old life, their wealth, their notoriety or their selfish ambitions. He called people to die, carry crosses and preached sermons that cause those who sought him only for bread for their bellies to leave in disgust.

I am deeply troubled by this distorted and unbiblical picture of Jesus that supposes Jesus to be the type of Lord that embraces sinners in their sin eagerly with no expectations or qualifications, while beating up on all religious people who have any expectations or passion for holy and righteous living. This image is being spoon-fed to our culture and it is nowhere close to the actual image of Jesus depicted in the pages of the New Testament. Quite the contrary. The REASON Jesus rejected the "religious" was because they felt they needed no repentance and needed no mercy. It was not because they were religious but because they were unrepentant. Jesus wouldn't speak to sinful Herod because he was uninterested in humility and repentance. Jesus wouldnt embrace the rich man because he trusted in his wealth rather than God. The issue is not sinful vs religious...the issue is humility vs pride. Jesus embraces everyone of any sin who comes to him on their knees...however to suggest that a homosexual can proudly bring their behavior to Jesus with no intention of repenting or seeking mercy and transformation is an enormous error. Jesus preached, "Repent, the Kingdom of heaven is near." Quite different from the message being propagated as Christ's message today, "Sin, the Kingdom of heaven is indifferent."

Reactions: KingJ

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
thomasleonard said:
What are your views and opinions?
I would much appreciate your opinion on this subject as it arises continuously.
God Bless.
[SIZE=16pt]What I believe about Homosexual or adultery is the acts are evil.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Satan gives people feelings, and then some people believe those feelings are his or her feelings. When a person accepts feelings that Satan gives, then they will do evil.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Getting a sexual feeling for one of the same sex comes from the devil. Some people like that feeling, and come to accept it is theirs. [/SIZE]